Editing quotes

I know that editing quotes is against the rules, but is it permissable to shorten them?

Sometimes I'd like to respond only to the last post, but it may contain quotes within quotes, etc. That can get very confusing for those of us who use PDAs.

Thank you for your feedback.
I do it all the time But of course I try to change the meaning of the post.
this is an example of what NOT to do

:lol:

I know that editing quotes is against the rules, but is it permissable to shorten them?

Sometimes I'd like to respond only to the last post, but it may contain quotes within quotes, etc. That can get very confusing for those of us who use PDAs.

Thank you for your feedback.
I do it all the time But of course I try to change the meaning of the post.
this is an example of what to do

:lol:

DIVE CON!!! Shame on you!

In the old days, there was a process called "Fisking" which is where you put your remarks between each offensive part of their remarks.

I think that is more fun and a bit more honest.

I think so...as long as you don't Breitbart the original poster.
i'd agree more if you said "don't mediamatters them"

LOL

If you ever looked at Media Matters, they quote the material directly from the publication they're expressing an opinion on. So you at least can actually see the justification for the opinion, rather than just throwing it out there.

In the old days, there was a process called "Fisking" which is where you put your remarks between each offensive part of their remarks.

I think that is more fun and a bit more honest.

You can still do that, but any more than two people joining in and it gets confusing. Let's see now...who was blue and who was green? Was Maggie in script this time?

I think so...as long as you don't Breitbart the original poster.
i'd agree more if you said "don't mediamatters them"

LOL

If you ever looked at Media Matters, they quote the material directly from the publication they're expressing an opinion on. So you at least can actually see the justification for the opinion, rather than just throwing it out there.
but their opinion on what they quote is rarely ever even remotely accurate

Clutter and redundancy are discouraging distractions. Removing them without diminishing the full import of the message is a matter of judgment.

If the reader is sufficiently interested and wishes to follow the full strand of the message to its origin all it takes is some back-scrolling in the thread. But that is rarely necessary.

Forum List

Back