Early America - Founded and Led by Christians!

To expand on that, it was settled by Christians, for Christians with the intent to keep any one single doctrine from being superior over another, to prevent persecution, such as happened under the Church of England..
The history is there, for anyone wishing to see it.
From the Library of Congress: Religion and the Congress of the Confederation - Religion and the Founding of the American Republic Exhibitions Library of Congress

"The Continental-Confederation Congress, a legislative body that governed the United States from 1774 to 1789, contained an extraordinary number of deeply religious men. The amount of energy that Congress invested in encouraging the practice of religion in the new nation exceeded that expended by any subsequent American national government. Although the Articles of Confederation did not officially authorize Congress to concern itself with religion, the citizenry did not object to such activities. This lack of objection suggests that both the legislators and the public considered it appropriate for the national government to promote a nondenominational, nonpolemical Christianity."

We all have Christians and God to thank for our Constitutional freedoms, liberties, and the skeletal remains of morality.

Exactly! Anyone who knows early American history knows that one of the main reasons why America broke from England was because the English State Church routinely persecuted other sects or denominations of Christianity (just as the Catholic church had in prior centuries).

Anglican in Virginia, Puritan and Pilgrim in New England, Quaker in Pennsylvania, dissenters in Rhode Island, Dutch Reformed in New York. All thinking the others were really not Christians.

And the fact is that the modern day American fundamentalists and evangelicals would have been expelled as heretics from those colonies. The Puritans would have executed them if they returned after banishment.

DS, no one cares about weird Christians then OR now.

We are secular nation.

And yet all the above WERE Christians who were to find protection under the Constitution which was written and signed by Christians or those who were sympathetic to the Christian religion in general. But the fact that you've observed that Virginia was primarily Anglican; New England was primarily Puritan/Pilgrim; New York was primarily Dutch Reformed (Protestant); and Pennsylvania was primarily Quaker literally proves the point of the OP: that America began as a Christian nation. Thanks for your agreement.

So full of spite... for a "Christian".

By the way ... your quotation marks should come after the period.

I like it better that way. As I prove all the time through example... you gotta understand the rules if you wanna get good at bendin' and breakin' them...

Despite my... insidiously seditious... methods of speaking my mind, my thoughts are still always presented in a clear and coherent manner.

So quit trippin'.

If it bothers you so much, you can always just gauge out your eyes :-D

Last edited:
Anglican in Virginia, Puritan and Pilgrim in New England, Quaker in Pennsylvania, dissenters in Rhode Island, Dutch Reformed in New York. All thinking the others were really not Christians.

And the fact is that the modern day American fundamentalists and evangelicals would have been expelled as heretics from those colonies. The Puritans would have executed them if they returned after banishment.

We are secular nation.

And yet all the above WERE Christians who were to find protection under the Constitution which was written and signed by Christians or those who were sympathetic to the Christian religion in general. But the fact that you've observed that Virginia was primarily Anglican; New England was primarily Puritan/Pilgrim; New York was primarily Dutch Reformed (Protestant); and Pennsylvania was primarily Quaker literally proves the point of the OP: that America began as a Christian nation. Thanks for your agreement.

The point was somehow that nation was a nation of unified Christianity, which it certainly wasn't. Thanks for pointing that out. They all came, other than the Quakers, to dominate and exclude if necessary other sects.

Read the last line below from the text I have quoted from the Articles of Association, to Britian, in 1774. Notice the phrase Protestant colonies.

"We, his majesty's most loyal subjects, the delegates of the several colonies of New Hampshire, Massachusetts Bay, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, the three lower counties of New Castle, Kent and Sussex, on Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina, deputed to represent them in a continental Congress, held in the city of Philadelphia, on the 5th day of September, 1774, avowing our allegiance to his majesty, our affection and regard for our fellow subjects in Great Britain and elsewhere, affected with the deepest anxiety, and most alarming apprehensions, at those grievances and distresses, with which his Majesty's American subjects are oppressed; and having taken under our most serious deliberation, the state of the whole continent, find, that the present unhappy situation of our affairs is occasioned by a ruinous system of colony administration, adopted by the British ministry about the year 1763, evidently calculated for enslaving these colonies, and, with them, the British empire. In prosecution of which system, various acts of parliament have been passed, for raising a revenue in America, for depriving the American subjects, in many instances, of the constitutional trial by jury, exposing their lives to danger, by directing a new and illegal trial beyond the seas, for crimes alleged to have been committed in America: and in prosecution of the same system, several late, cruel, and oppressive acts have been passed, respecting the town of Boston and the Massachusetts Bay, and also an act for extending the province of Quebec, so as to border on the western frontiers of these colonies, establishing an arbitrary government therein, and discouraging the settlement of British subjects in that wide extended country; thus, by the influence of civil principles and ancient prejudices, to dispose the inhabitants to act with hostility against the free Protestant colonies, whenever a wicked ministry shall choose so to direct them."

We are secular nation.

The point was somehow that nation was a nation of unified Christianity, which it certainly wasn't. Thanks for pointing that out. They all came, other than the Quakers, to dominate and exclude if necessary other sects.

That line is in respect to Parliament giving Catholic Canada religious freedom. Anti-Catholicism was something all Protestants could get behind.

As I said, every Christian denomination in what we call the 13 Colonies was quite willing to hinder other denominations.

I like it better that way. As I prove all the time through example... you gotta understand the rules if you wanna get good at bendin' and breakin' them...

Despite my... insidiously seditious... methods of speaking my mind, my thoughts are still always presented in a clear and coherent manner.

So quit trippin'.

The only "clear and concise" message that one could glean from your posts is that you're a nutcase. Godspeed to ya.

That line is in respect to Parliament giving Catholic Canada religious freedom. Anti-Catholicism was something all Protestants could get behind.

As I said, every Christian denomination in what we call the 13 Colonies was quite willing to hinder other denominations.

I'm not Catholic and I reject many of the traditions of that church but I'm not opposed to Catholics believing what they wish. I'm also in agreement with Catholics where homosexuality and abortion is concerned. Christians of all denominations can find agreement on many issues when the Bible is used as the source of our agreement.

Sure, that's why we have more than a thousand denominations using the Bible as a platform of agreement.

Your omission of my 1774 explanation is noted.

And the issue is not religion here, but the use of religion to deny secular civil rights.

The Constitution excluded such a perversion.

1) You're speaking in terms of "colonies" ... not States.
2) The various Christian denominations left each other alone and didn't seek for force others to believe only as they did. That's in stark contrast to the Church of England imposing its beliefs upon the whole of Christendom.

Sure, that's why we have more than a thousand denominations using the Bible as a platform of agreement.

And the issue is not religion here, but the use of religion to deny secular civil rights.

Apparently you failed to read the article cited in the OP. It's historical fact that the first Congress was made up of very religious Christians from various denominations and that they worked in unison to create a Christian foundation for the emerging nation. Sorry if you can't accept the truth.

Support your opinion then that the states did not have religious tests for dissenting religion.

Before you do, look up Jefferson and Danbury.

Look up the Mormons and other religions.

Apparently you failed to read the article cited in the OP. It's historical fact that the first Congress was made up of very religious Christians from various denominations and that they worked in unison to create a Christian foundation for the emerging nation. Sorry if you can't accept the truth.

Just so, as I pointed out and will expand that the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention and the first decades of the US Congress were made up of some neo-evangelical Christians, many weak Christians, some deists, and perhaps one atheist.

All of which means nothing when it comes to the secular Constitution. Folks religious and not did not trust others when it came to religious influence in the Constitution.

So quit trippin'.

The only "clear and concise" message that one could glean from your posts is that you're a nutcase. Godspeed to ya.

^
Clouded this one's future is. "Heaven" I do not sense in it lol

1) You're speaking in terms of "colonies" ... not States.
2) The various Christian denominations left each other alone and didn't seek for force others to believe only as they did. That's in stark contrast to the Church of England imposing its beliefs upon the whole of Christendom.
True, churches did not "hinder" each other. No sabotage, no slander. Denominational divisions were numerous, however, and a conspicuous array of meetinghouses dotted the landscape.

Any real rift in colonial Christian congregations was between the evangelicals and the rationalists, between scriptural revelation and spiritual experience and worship that was formal, sacramental, and ceremonial. I suppose we could surmise some competition for church membership, but periodic revivals in the 17th and 18th centuries strongly favored the evangelicals, and the subsequent Presbyterian framework in colonial rule was largely Calvinist.

And I agree with the stark contrast. The Church of England was a state church; England exacted tribute on its behalf, regardless of church membership or participation. Hence our first amendment, prohibiting the Congress from establishing a church. The Constitution defends the right of congregations to continue to differ. I really don't think much changed in this regard when the colonies attained statehood.

Norweg, the state established churches (9 of them) had some very serious rules that hindered other churches, Danbury Connecticut Baptists being only one of several examples.

The worst was the 60 year war by state and federal governments against the Mormons.

No, there was no Christian harmony among the denominations, and to suggest otherwise reveals a true ignorance of the matter.

Last edited:

So quit trippin'.

^

Belief and faith in Christ guarantees the Kingdom:

John 3:36, "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."

Norweg, the state established churches (9 of them) had some very serious rules that hindered other churches, Danbury Connecticut Baptists being only one of several examples.

The worst was the 60 year war by state and federal governments against the Mormons.

No, there was no Christian harmony among the denomination, and to suggest otherwise reveals a true ignorance of the matter.

Mormons borrow from the tenets of Christianity but drastically stray from the clear teaching of Scripture. They've elevated the works of men to the level of the Word of God. Any Bible-believing Christian knows that such activity is anathema to the teachings of Christ and the Apostles.

Edit: It's also important to remember that the formation of the Mormon church didn't occur until near the turn of the 20th Century. That's long after the history lesson provided by the OP.

So quit trippin'.

^

Belief and faith in Christ guarantees the Kingdom:

John 3:36, "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."

So because I believe in Jesus and God and have complete Faith in God, I get to go to Heaven. Even though I'd rather be reincarnated. Even though I involve demons and fallen angels in my spiritual practices. Lol

Last edited:

Forum List

Back