Eagles-Oilers: Conservationism vs. Capitalism

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a sports-logo parody vignette inspired by Jerry Maguire and in honor of the upcoming Super Bowl 52.

This one's about the Eagles and the Oilers (NFL).

Signing off,

====

To my great surprise, the Philadelphia Eagles became the official Underdog Team of the New Millennium, having reached a whopping 6(!) NFC Championships since 2000. Why are they underdogs? Well, unfortunately (for the Philly fans), the Eagles only advanced to 1(!) Super Bowl (39), and in that one, they lost to, you guessed it, the Goliath-like New England Patriots (led by, you guessed it, the titan-like QB Tom Brady who just might shatter every NFL QB record ever). However, there's no reason not to be proud of that 1 single Super Bowl appearance by the Eagles (and perhaps we'll see another one this year, if the Eagles can somehow down the mighty Minnesota Vikings).

So what's so great about the Eagles? They were coached once by the iconic and beloved Buddy Ryan and featured two iconic ethnic-minority (African-American) QBs in their franchise history (Randall Cunningham and Donovan McNabb!). The Eagles were also coached by the likes of Super Bowl winning Dick Vermeil and now stellar Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid. In other words, the Eagles are the 'people's team.' Of course, we know the 'Eagles' name somehow derives from America's national patriotic mascot, the American Bald Eagle (pursued by conservationists so it does not become yet another 'endangered species').

Imagine then that the mighty Eagles, boasting the mighty American Bald Eagle as their team-avatar, square off against the now-extinct Houston Oilers (led by now-retired QB Warren Moon) in an imaginary daydream (no, not simply Fantasy Football!) game --- a game all about prestige and social symbolism. The 'Oilers' as their name implies, invoke images of America's great love of petroleum and fossil fuel resources (and Texan oil drilling enterprises!), perhaps a timeless symbol of capitalism (for good or bad). So now you have the 'eco-friendly' American Bald Eagle avatar of the Philadelphia Eagles facing the capitalism-centric (very centric!) Houston Oilers in a hypothetical heavenly imaginary daydream game.

Who should win the title of 'American Dream Avatar Shaman,' Eagles (eco-friendly) or Oilers (capitalism-centric)? Edward Abbey would say "Eagles all the way!" but Ted Turner would say, "I cheer for the Oilers!" It's a toss up to be sure, and it makes me want to just smoke some herbs and enjoy delicious feta-cheese and olive-and-tomato romaine salad soaked in vinaigrette from Acme or something and just forget about my American capitalism/conservation blues, man! But maybe that's just me...

---Love, GOD

====

oilers.jpg

Forum List

Back