Dutch euthanasia law used kill alcoholic 41

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
I don't think this was the intent when these laws were first proposed....

Dutch euthanasia law used to kill Mark Langedijk who decided death was the way to escape | Daily Mail Online

The death of Mr Langedijk marks a new departure in Dutch euthanasia practice, which killed more than 5,500 people last year.

The scope of the mercy killing law, introduced 16 years ago to apply only to those in unbearable suffering, has already widened so that those who die include many whose problems include ‘social isolation and loneliness’.

One of those who died was a woman in her 20s who had been a victim of child sex abuse.

Papers released to explain the workings of the euthanasia laws said doctors believed she could not live with her mental suffering and her post-traumatic stress disorder and other conditions were incurable.

These laws were supposed to be about terminally ill people in pain, with no chance of survival or recovery. I know this is The Netherlands, but seriously, this makes me very very nervous.

Dutch euthanasia law used to kill Mark Langedijk who decided death was the way to escape | Daily Mail Online

The death of Mr Langedijk marks a new departure in Dutch euthanasia practice, which killed more than 5,500 people last year.

The scope of the mercy killing law, introduced 16 years ago to apply only to those in unbearable suffering, has already widened so that those who die include many whose problems include ‘social isolation and loneliness’.

One of those who died was a woman in her 20s who had been a victim of child sex abuse.

Papers released to explain the workings of the euthanasia laws said doctors believed she could not live with her mental suffering and her post-traumatic stress disorder and other conditions were incurable.

These laws were supposed to be about terminally ill people in pain, with no chance of survival or recovery. I know this is The Netherlands, but seriously, this makes me very very nervous.

I have little doubt that the Peoples Paradise may soon extend this to alcoholics and addicts who are not willing participants.

I have little doubt that the Peoples Paradise may soon extend this to alcoholics and addicts who are not willing participants.

I am usually not a fan of "slippery slope" arguments, but yikes, this is close to being an actual example of one.

How can you justify killing someone for these reasons? You can convince a hurting person that they would be better off dead if you really put some effort into it. Doesn't this lead to issues of coercion?

I fucking love the Dutch, hot women, legalized drugs and now they actually allow people to legally kill themselves.

If some people here in the U.S. had their way, the penalty for assisted suicide would be death.

"What a Country!" -- Yakov Smirnoff

I'll include this account from this link because it speaks directly to this topic and how euthanasia without consent exists in the private health industry in America (post #42): Republicans new trifecta: Privatize Social Security, Medicare and Veterans Care

How about a not-mistake resulting in a guy dying?...

.....because I know a private hospital who assisted in murdering a family member of mine...knowingly...as the patient asked to be spared from his bed. I'm not lying. It was an HMO that skated the thin ice on knowing the patient wanted to live, but had a legal loophole to secure his doom in the form of his conniving spouse who had retained power of attorney over him. The administrators were called into this situation. Ultimately I'm sure the bottom line of continuing to cover this man's health issues weighed in to spell his untimely doom in favor of the asshole who had power of attorney over him: commanding his death while he protested in language clear enough for all to understand.

The method of his death was sepsis from a bladder infection...where he spent four days dying, drowning in his own fluids, gasping for breath...for the want of...simple IV antibiotics...all because he had Alzheimers (or addling/exacerbated by the toxins of constant bladder infections they weren't treating properly) and his spouse had no more use for him; his situation was cutting into her expectations of inheriting all of his assets. Yes, a hospital actually agreed to do this. BTW, if any attorneys are out there reading, I'd like to hear from you. Police and elder abuse reports exist to this incident. If you're not sick to your stomach enough over this situation, I'll add that this man was a distinguished military officer. He would've been better off at the VA BY FAR.

Enjoy private for-profit healthcare. Assisted for-profit murders (and the families agreeing because of the estate goodies) will become common fare. They already are. They're called "claims adjusters"...professional "legal" hit-men. Add that to an old person with assets and a scam artist in the family with power of attorney over them and you have murder 1.."legally"..

A citizen's oversight committee would see a situation like that and make heads roll. But if profit was their guiding light, they'd smooth it over and roll on to another scam. And that is exactly what private healthcare does already. There is no reason to ever expect it will stop as long as profit is involved. When you marry profit + human lives, you get what I got in the above account.

Why? You think Trump and Pence are considering doing something similar here in the States?
I wouldn't take anything from the DM as hard, data-driven, factual news. In the U.K. it's considered very yellow journalism.

What, the alcoholic couldn't drink himself to death?

Amateur.

Crazy but his choice after all.

Then let him do it himself, don't get medical people involved. More importantly don't let government controlled medical people get involved.

Why? You think Trump and Pence are considering doing something similar here in the States?
I wouldn't take anything from the DM as hard, data-driven, factual news. In the U.K. it's considered very yellow journalism.

There have been pushes for legalized euthanasia in the US, but for terminally ill people.

I can actually support that for people who are in pain and have months or days to live, but these people are just mentally fragile. Why do they need to die?

I'll include this account from this link because it speaks directly to this topic and how euthanasia without consent exists in the private health industry in America (post #42): Republicans new trifecta: Privatize Social Security, Medicare and Veterans Care

How about a not-mistake resulting in a guy dying?...

.....because I know a private hospital who assisted in murdering a family member of mine...knowingly...as the patient asked to be spared from his bed. I'm not lying. It was an HMO that skated the thin ice on knowing the patient wanted to live, but had a legal loophole to secure his doom in the form of his conniving spouse who had retained power of attorney over him. The administrators were called into this situation. Ultimately I'm sure the bottom line of continuing to cover this man's health issues weighed in to spell his untimely doom in favor of the asshole who had power of attorney over him: commanding his death while he protested in language clear enough for all to understand.

The method of his death was sepsis from a bladder infection...where he spent four days dying, drowning in his own fluids, gasping for breath...for the want of...simple IV antibiotics...all because he had Alzheimers (or addling/exacerbated by the toxins of constant bladder infections they weren't treating properly) and his spouse had no more use for him; his situation was cutting into her expectations of inheriting all of his assets. Yes, a hospital actually agreed to do this. BTW, if any attorneys are out there reading, I'd like to hear from you. Police and elder abuse reports exist to this incident. If you're not sick to your stomach enough over this situation, I'll add that this man was a distinguished military officer. He would've been better off at the VA BY FAR.

Enjoy private for-profit healthcare. Assisted for-profit murders (and the families agreeing because of the estate goodies) will become common fare. They already are. They're called "claims adjusters"...professional "legal" hit-men. Add that to an old person with assets and a scam artist in the family with power of attorney over them and you have murder 1.."legally"..

A citizen's oversight committee would see a situation like that and make heads roll. But if profit was their guiding light, they'd smooth it over and roll on to another scam. And that is exactly what private healthcare does already. There is no reason to ever expect it will stop as long as profit is involved. When you marry profit + human lives, you get what I got in the above account.

Having had a brother die in the hospital a few years ago, I know he had to have a living will which was kept on file by the hospital as well as by family, when he was admitted. Prior to his last surgery the staff confirmed his living will and gave him a form to fill out confirming that his living will was his, and it was witnessed by family members and hospital staff. So my question is, did anyone inquire about a living will, which would specify any kind of medical measures and/or resuscitation in the event of a terminal illness?

The living will is also filed with the patient's attorney or other trustee.

Then let him do it himself, don't get medical people involved. More importantly don't let government controlled medical people get involved.
Why not? Sounds like he's been trying to kill himself with alcohol for years. And according to your article HE REQUESTED IT.

So a doctor should cut off someone's hand if they request it?

There is a huge difference between mercifully ending someone's pain when they are terminal and killing someone because they can't fix their drinking, or can't handle leaving their apartment, or feel paranoid that everyone is out to get them and can't deal with it.

Morality is best left in the hands of government where it belongs. They don't make mistakes

If people want to die is it any of your business why?

The one and only thing in this world anyone has any control over is one's own existence.
If an adult can't come to grips with his own existential pain be it from addiction or abuse why can't they choose to end their lives?

Why not? Sounds like he's been trying to kill himself with alcohol for years. And according to your article HE REQUESTED IT.

There is a huge difference between mercifully ending someone's pain when they are terminal and killing someone because they can't fix their drinking, or can't handle leaving their apartment, or feel paranoid that everyone is out to get them and can't deal with it.

Yes, there is, but that doesn't mean government should decide what we do with our bodies and our lives

Why not? It's their hand.

Morality is best left in the hands of government where it belongs. They don't make mistakes

i really hope this is sarcasm.

Was it? Was he mentally competent to make such a choice? How hard would it be for a person to convince you that because Hillary lost, you have no chance at a happy life? What if they told you that your death would make the baby Obama smile?

The mentally unstable are easily manipulated, Rati.

Forum List

Back