Dunkin’ Donuts criticized for ‘bizarre and racist’ ad campaign

Connery

Rookie
Oct 19, 2012
"A leading human rights group has called on Dunkin' Donuts to withdraw a "bizarre and racist" advertisement for chocolate doughnuts in Thailand that shows a smiling woman with bright pink lips in blackface makeup.

The Dunkin' Donuts franchise in Thailand launched a campaign earlier this month for its new "Charcoal Donut" featuring the image, which is reminiscent of 19th and early 20th century American stereotypes for black people that are now considered offensive symbols of a racist era.

In posters and TV commercials, the campaign shows the woman with a shiny jet black, 1950s-style beehive hairdo holding a bitten black doughnut alongside the slogan: "Break every rule of deliciousness."

Human Rights Watch said it was shocked to see an American brand name running an advertising campaign that would draw "howls of outrage" if released in the United States."

Dunkin Donuts criticized for bizarre and racist ad campaign in Thailand - NY Daily News

"The CEO for Dunkin' Donuts in Thailand dismissed the criticism as "paranoid American thinking."

"It's absolutely ridiculous," said CEO Nadim Salhani. "We're not allowed to use black to promote our doughnuts? I don't get it. What's the big fuss? What if the product was white and I painted someone white, would that be racist?"

Dunkin' Donuts Should Withdraw 'Racist' Charcoal Donut Ad: Human Rights Watch

dd-charcoal-donut.jpg

I want to eat those donuts regardless of whether the ad is considered racist by some. The ad was clearly directed at the product and not intended as a racially based statement.

• Banned
Chocolate is racist?

Who knew?

Then there are these guys....

144784-mandm-mandm-.jpg

...and this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EOttVmvZ0s]M&M's Commercial "Just My Shell" 2012 Superbowl Commercial "I'm Sexy And I Know It!" - YouTube[/ame]

Where does it end....

Chocolate is racist?

Who knew?

144784-mandm-mandm-.jpg

...and this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EOttVmvZ0s]M&M's Commercial "Just My Shell" 2012 Superbowl Commercial "I'm Sexy And I Know It!" - YouTube[/ame]

Where does it end....

M&Ms are okay because the rainbow colors thing means they are Gay.

• Banned
Chocolate is racist?

Who knew?

144784-mandm-mandm-.jpg

...and this...

Where does it end....

In the mind of the reasonable person you are correct.

But now they really screwed up!!!!!

060309advertdunkin_512x288.jpg

They are really gonna piss me off if they show Santa eating a goddamned donut...

Chocolate is racist?

Who knew?

144784-mandm-mandm-.jpg

...and this...

Where does it end....

I manifestly see an M&M with red skin in that picture.

Despicable...just despicable...

In the mind of the reasonable person you are correct.

But now they really screwed up!!!!!

060309advertdunkin_512x288.jpg

They are really gonna piss me off if they show Santa eating a goddamned donut...

00620308.jpg

"A leading human rights group has called on Dunkin' Donuts to withdraw a "bizarre and racist" advertisement for chocolate doughnuts in Thailand that shows a smiling woman with bright pink lips in blackface makeup.

The Dunkin' Donuts franchise in Thailand launched a campaign earlier this month for its new "Charcoal Donut" featuring the image, which is reminiscent of 19th and early 20th century American stereotypes for black people that are now considered offensive symbols of a racist era.

In posters and TV commercials, the campaign shows the woman with a shiny jet black, 1950s-style beehive hairdo holding a bitten black doughnut alongside the slogan: "Break every rule of deliciousness."

Human Rights Watch said it was shocked to see an American brand name running an advertising campaign that would draw "howls of outrage" if released in the United States."

Dunkin Donuts criticized for bizarre and racist ad campaign in Thailand - NY Daily News

"The CEO for Dunkin' Donuts in Thailand dismissed the criticism as "paranoid American thinking."

"It's absolutely ridiculous," said CEO Nadim Salhani. "We're not allowed to use black to promote our doughnuts? I don't get it. What's the big fuss? What if the product was white and I painted someone white, would that be racist?"

Dunkin' Donuts Should Withdraw 'Racist' Charcoal Donut Ad: Human Rights Watch

dd-charcoal-donut.jpg

I want to eat those donuts regardless of whether the ad is considered racist by some. The ad was clearly directed at the product and not intended as a racially based statement.

well the image is a tad creepy. but not being from there....

and really, people getting their panties bunched over this?

there's some really heavy stuff going on it the world.

Human rights watch has nothing better to do than monitor doughnuts...

they've become as big a joke and just as useless as the Naacp, and wanting to charge a rodeo clown with a hate crime..

Chocolate is racist?

Who knew?

144784-mandm-mandm-.jpg

Those red M&Ms are racist against American Indians.
Those yellow M&Ms are racist against Asians.
Those brown M&Ms are racist against Africans.
Those orange M&Ms are bigoted against people with Jaundice.
Those blue M&Ms are bigoted against people with a Ventricular Septal Defect

Forum List

Back