Drawing Near to God

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
In this March 14th devotion Mrs. Cowman provides a message about drawing near to God. There is a scripture which Believers quote only partially (most times) Draw nigh to God and He will draw nigh to you......but there's more!

The full verse is:
Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. James 4:7

Mrs. Cowman opens this devotion with Exodus 20:21. Why did Moses go up to the mountain alone? Why didn't God's people join him? One possibility would be James 4:7. Moses drew near to God with a purified heart and clean hands. There was no double mindedness in him. The people had not yet made that commitment to God. Like the modern church that refuses to part ways with their sin, these people had yet to be sanctified not realizing that was the very key to true fellowship with God. It is what Abraham had, David had, Isaiah had, Ezekiel had, Jeremiah had, it was their life lived wholly unto God that caused God to draw nigh (near) unto them!

The other possibility of why the people didn't want to go up with Moses again points to unrepented sin in their life. If Moses went up alone, there would be no witnesses to what God told him. Therein they could fall back on the excuse that they would not obey a man because they didn't like what he was saying. After all, they weren't there so they did not personally hear God speak. It would have been an excuse not to accept the message Moses had been given to deliver to them.

Each of us must draw nigh unto God. This is something no Pastor, Priest or Rabbi can do for us. There is one greater than Moses with us. Jesus Christ is our advocate, our intercessor and because of His death, burial, resurrection on the 3rd day we can boldly approach the throne of grace..... We must confess our sins directly to God and we will obtain mercy and forgiveness through His Son who paid the price to reconcile us back to God..

The people kept their distance, but Moses drew near the thick darkness where God was. (Exodus 20:21)

God has still His hidden secrets, hidden from the wise and prudent. Do not fear them; be content to accept things that you cannot understand; wait patiently. Presently He will reveal to you the treasures of darkness, the riches of the glory of the mystery. Mystery is only the veil of God’s face.

Do not be afraid to enter the cloud that is settling down on your life. God is in it. The other side is radiant with His glory. “Think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you; but rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings.” When you seem loneliest and most forsaken, God is nigh. He is in the dark cloud. Plunge into the blackness of its darkness without flinching; under the shrouding curtain of His pavilion you will find God awaiting you.
—Selected

“Hast thou a cloud?
Something that is dark and full of dread;
A messenger of tempest overhead?
A something that is darkening the sky;
A something growing darker bye and bye;
A something that thou fear’st will burst at last;
A cloud that doth a deep, long shadow cast,
God cometh in that cloud.

Hast thou a cloud?
It is Jehovah’s triumph car: in this
He rideth to thee, o’er the wide abyss.
It is the robe in which He wraps His form;
For He doth gird Him with the flashing storm.
It is the veil in which He hides the light
Of His fair face, too dazzling for thy sight.

Hast thou a cloud?
A trial that is terrible to thee?
A black temptation threatening to see?
A loss of some dear one long thine own?
A mist, a veiling, bringing the unknown?
A mystery that unsubstantial seems:
A cloud between thee and the sun’s bright beams?

Hast thou a cloud?
A sickness—weak old age—distress and death?
These clouds will scatter at thy last faint breath.
Fear not the clouds that hover o’er thy barque,
Making the harbour’s entrance dire and dark;
The cloud of death, though misty, chill and cold,
Will yet grow radiant with a fringe of gold.
GOD cometh in that cloud.”

As Dr. C. stood on a high peak of the Rocky Mountains watching a storm raging below him, an eagle came up through the clouds, and soared away towards the sun and the water upon him glistened in the sunlight like diamonds. Had it not been for the storm he might have remained in the valley. The sorrows of life cause us to rise towards God.

Since Jesus is God and Luke 24 sez Jesus has a body of flesh and bones; making him anthropromorphic.
The god you worship is not the God of the Bible.

%40ejocch.jpg

37b77970e3b918d3e10a9baa00ac6b63_full.jpg

bigstock-bald-eagle-flying-above-the-cl-26090840.jpg

eagle-quote.jpg

images

Last edited:
bigstock-bald-eagle-flying-above-the-cl-26090840.jpg

An eagle flies above the storms by soaring higher than the clouds. A Believer rises above the storms of life by drawing nearer to God.

Since Jesus is God and Luke 24 sez Jesus has a body of flesh and bones; making him anthropromorphic.
Jesus said, Ye must be born again to enter the kingdom of heaven. No man comes to the Father except through the Son. Jesus said, ........he that hath seen Me hath seen the Father.

What is the Lesson here?
Well if you do then you are the first cuz no one is absolutely sure of what the meaning of eagles are in the Bible.
Joe Focht of Calvery Christian in Philadelphia is not sure of the meaning of Eagles in the Bible.
And he even called Prof White at Brigham Young University; the foremost person knowledgeable in the USA about eagles and those 2 couldn't come to a conclusion.
You are aware that Eagle in the Bible actually means vulture don't you?

Jesus said, Ye must be born again to enter the kingdom of heaven. No man comes to the Father except through the Son. Jesus said, ........he that hath seen Me hath seen the Father.
Luke 24:36-39

What is the Lesson here?
Well if you do then you are the first cuz no one is absolutely sure of what the meaning of eagles are in the Bible.
Joe Focht of Calvery Christian in Philadelphia is not sure of the meaning of Eagles in the Bible.
And he even called Prof White at Brigham Young University; the foremost person knowledgeable in the USA about eagles and those 2 couldn't come to a conclusion.
You are aware that Eagle in the Bible actually means vulture don't you?

Brigham Young wasn't a Christian. Why would you expect a man who does not know God to explain to you what God's book, the Holy Bible, means?

It is written:

Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
Matthew 15:14

Luke 24:36-39
Luke 24:36-39 King James Version (KJV)
36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.

38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?

39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

King James Version (KJV)

Note that Jesus told them this. Not Joseph Smith. Did God raise Joseph Smith from his grave on the 3rd day? No? Then why do you believe Joseph Smith instead of believing the one who was raised on the 3rd day by God and proved it by his own nail pierced hands and feet? Jesus died on a cross for your sins. Not Joseph Smith.

When Thomas the disciple of Jesus Christ saw his nail pierced hands and feet and put his hand in his side, he said, My Lord and My God. Jesus Christ did not correct him. Why didn't Jesus Christ correct Thomas if he was wrong? Because Thomas wasn't wrong. Jesus Christ is LORD and God. Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is LORD. Including Joseph Smith's.

There is no salvation in the Mormon Temple. Joseph Smith was a false prophet (Like Brigham Young - one of his followers) who denied Jesus Christ before men. Do not make the same mistake or you'll be paying for it throughout eternity (in hell).

Forum List

Back