Downton Abbey

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. I heard the first few notes of the opening score, and suddenly, I am right back at the end of last season. Running back to my chair to watch. Remembering that Matthew is dead.....

I think one of the reasons I enjoy this show is because the- 90-120 minutes length is so much more in depth and engaging. It helps that they have no commercials too.

No disappointments whatsoever. Looking forward to the next!

:thup:

How about Super-Evil Nanny West and poor little Sybil? Didn't you see that coming? I was nervous watching her hold little George while Cora was telling her to get out.

Also, poor Edith finds love and now he wants to drag her off to Germany? I don't think so.. Too many are leaving already.

That whole ordeal had me gasping... and no, I didn't see it coming! I thought that Barrow was going to get his ass handed to him by the evil Nanny bitch. She was so strong with him! and he's so easy to dislike..so full of himself!

Edith is looking better this season, the flapper costumes flatter her. But moving to Germany (just in time for the rise of Hitler's Fascism!) is not going to solve her problems. She'd be better off living alone or (gasp) "in sin" with the publisher. I loved her line..."it's getting harder and harder to say no" as she leans in to kiss him.....oye.....she's so naive and needy. She acts as if she has no other choice! Maybe she'll get pregnant?

There's a really good recap and the slideshow is especially good on this website:

'Downton Abbey' Recap, Season 4, Episode 1: Life After Matthew | Youyoung Lee

Scroll down.

I really liked the conversation between Anna, John and Barrow where Anna and John were explaining to Barrow that he is actually a servant. He looked so clueless. :)

Poor Anna. :(

That was horrid. The prick even had the nerve to "thank" Mr Bates as he was leaving....grrrrrrr :mad: When Bates finds out it will get ugly. I just hope he doesn't get caught.

I was happy that Lady Mary has a new suitor!! She's been hanging crepe for far too long.....time for her to get laid!!! He seems like a real catch! Can she reel him in though.....??

Poor Tom Branson was so sad. He really is a fish out of water. How is he supposed to know all the inane rules of addressing "Nobles"? Duchess, Your Grace, M'Lady.. my god!! :lol: Anyway, I have a feeling that he's going to get in trouble with this new maid...she's a scheming little minx! The family will freak if he gets caught...

Looks like Edith is going to fuck her life over by marrying the card-cheating publisher and moving to Germany just in time to don a brown shirt......oye....I did like how he gave the "gentleman" their IOU's back....he's up to something though. I do not trust this guy.

They continue to portray Lord Grantham as a bumbling idiot. He can't manage the estate, makes lousy inconsiderate decisions, and now he loses a fortune in a card game? The idiot can't do anything right. Thank god he got the IOU back...I can't imagine Cora taking that too lightly...

Can't wait until the next episode!!

That was horrid. The prick even had the nerve to "thank" Mr Bates as he was leaving....grrrrrrr :mad: When Bates finds out it will get ugly. I just hope he doesn't get caught.

I was happy that Lady Mary has a new suitor!! She's been hanging crepe for far too long.....time for her to get laid!!! He seems like a real catch! Can she reel him in though.....??

Poor Tom Branson was so sad. He really is a fish out of water. How is he supposed to know all the inane rules of addressing "Nobles"? Duchess, Your Grace, M'Lady.. my god!! :lol: Anyway, I have a feeling that he's going to get in trouble with this new maid...she's a scheming little minx! The family will freak if he gets caught...

Looks like Edith is going to fuck her life over by marrying the card-cheating publisher and moving to Germany just in time to don a brown shirt......oye....I did like how he gave the "gentleman" their IOU's back....he's up to something though. I do not trust this guy.

They continue to portray Lord Grantham as a bumbling idiot. He can't manage the estate, makes lousy inconsiderate decisions, and now he loses a fortune in a card game? The idiot can't do anything right. Thank god he got the IOU back...I can't imagine Cora taking that too lightly...

Can't wait until the next episode!!

Yeah, the prick, I forget his name, said goodbye because he knew she wouldn't tell. Back then, the woman always got blamed for rape. This will be Anna's secret probably. I love her in this part.

Edith will be interesting. Her man does seem like a player.

I'm loving their improved fashion sense. The hats are simply amazing.

And the jewelry...all of those necklaces and bracelets....
Yes. Everything about this production is first rate; cast, sets, costumes, even the autos are authentic and amazingly new-looking.

There is a related special running on PBS about Highclere Castle, where much of Downton Abbey was filmed. If you haven't already seen it, look for it. It's interesting.

I would have the same apprehension if the circumstances were not set up for Bates to believe Anna provoked, even encouraged something to happen with that fellow.

It seems Branson's made up his mind that he does not and cannot fit in with those nobles -- and there is no doubt in my mind he is headed for a hookup with Edna. It's already set up for him to tell Robert "I told you so."

I would have the same apprehension if the circumstances were not set up for Bates to believe Anna provoked, even encouraged something to happen with that fellow.

It seems Branson's made up his mind that he does not and cannot fit in with those nobles -- and there is no doubt in my mind he is headed for a hookup with Edna. It's already set up for him to tell Robert "I told you so."

It's not her fault that the guy is a psycho and can't control himself. He gives men a bad name and you're sticking up for him?

Crazy. :cuckoo:

She doesn't have to change her personality simply because he can't control his violent urges. He's a rapist. Remember that.

It's all so predictable but addictive as well :)
I thought the Christmas Special wasn't 'special' at all, rather dull in fact.
I particularly liked the arrival of Coras mother who on entering the room remarks: " Well the gang’s all here I see."
To which Violet replies: "Is that American for hello? " She's by far the best character :)

My mother had a friend who was a lady's maid. We stayed with her a few times. The house was nowhere near as grand as Downton Abbey but there were still 12 or 15 staff at table in the servants hall. This was in the 1940s and towards the end of the age of the big house.

In the 1920s and 30s upper servants like a butler or housekeeper were well into the lower middle class. Carson would have been a much respected man in the village. For many being engaged as a maid or footman was the chance of a step up in life.

It's all so predictable but addictive as well :)
I thought the Christmas Special wasn't 'special' at all, rather dull in fact.
I particularly liked the arrival of Coras mother who on entering the room remarks: " Well the gang’s all here I see."
To which Violet replies: "Is that American for hello? " She's by far the best character :)
She is precious. And no one but Maggie Smith could play that role as well.

Makes me wonder why hats ever went out of favor for daily use. You can have a bad hair day but hats fix that right up. You can have more style with hats although some of the hair styles on the show are also amazing. I'd love to see hats and gloves Etc. make a come back in American fashion.

It's not her fault that the guy is a psycho and can't control himself. He gives men a bad name and you're sticking up for him?

She doesn't have to change her personality simply because he can't control his violent urges. He's a rapist. Remember that.
I didn't suggest the rape was Anna's fault. So please read what I said again.

What I said is the circumstances are set up for it to appear (to Bates) that she behaved provocatively. Which, to an experienced man, she did.

Consider that Anna has throughout the entire series been presented as exceptionally reserved, even sedate, quiet, mature, and exceptionally proper, which has been Bates' perception of her. Then an attractive man in the servant category is introduced and suddenly Anna is transformed. She is now frivolous and actively receptive to the attentions of this older man. Even after being brutally raped by him she manages to issue a polite good-bye to him.

Bates perceived the potential problem with Anna's behavior toward this fellow and he tried to warn her -- but she brushed him off.

A very serious and possibly tragic problem is going to arise from this.

Makes me wonder why hats ever went out of favor for daily use. You can have a bad hair day but hats fix that right up. You can have more style with hats although some of the hair styles on the show are also amazing. I'd love to see hats and gloves Etc. make a come back in American fashion.

Women don't like them because at some point, you have to take them off and they really put dents in your hairstyle.

I wear them Winter and Summer but my hair is pretty short and messy anyway.

I didn't suggest the rape was Anna's fault. So please read what I said again.

What I said is the circumstances are set up for it to appear (to Bates) that she behaved provocatively. Which, to an experienced man, she did.

Consider that Anna has throughout the entire series been presented as exceptionally reserved, even sedate, quiet, mature, and exceptionally proper, which has been Bates' perception of her. Then an attractive man in the servant category is introduced and suddenly Anna is transformed. She is now frivolous and actively receptive to the attentions of this older man. Even after being brutally raped by him she manages to issue a polite good-bye to him.

Bates perceived the potential problem with Anna's behavior toward this fellow and he tried to warn her -- but she brushed him off.

A very serious and possibly tragic problem is going to arise from this.

I apologize.

And then Bates darkens episode's end with his creepy sign-off, "Nothing is over. And nothing is done with," to poor Mrs. Hughes...

Another great episode.

Forum List

Back