Downton Abbey

Hm. I thought it said Clean debate earlier today. That's why I felt so guilty.

Now I feel better. But I still have to stop teasing George.

George, I was just messing around.

I think Matthew was Mary's one true love, and no other will quite be able to fill his shoes. She is going to dote on her son, who will be a constant reminder of his father...also he is the future heir of Downton.

Wasn't she in love with another guy who died before becoming engaged to Matthew? She and Matthew hated each other at first then they grew to love each other. She is young and beautiful, I doubt she'll whither on the vine. Although she may begin to mistrust men's motives because she is now wealthy.

When the new season begins, it will be 6 months after Matthews death so we will know pretty quickly how she has coped.
Having grown accustomed to Julian Fellowes' technique of turnabouts and surprising ironies, the more I think about it the more inclined I am to expect Branson and Lady Mary to get it on. After all, Branson is now the Estate Manager, which puts him in close and constant contact with her via her money.

As you've said, she is young and beautiful, and considering her response to the Turk who hopped into her bed we know she is horny. And Branson is a handsome, virile young man. All it will take is one right moment, opportunity on a fragrant summer night, and a cocktail or two. And, irony of ironies, one of the last vestiges of British Empire will dissolve with an Irish chauffeur prevailing de facto over Downton Abbey.

And the series will close with Lord Grantham and Mr. Carson retiring to the library and drinking themselves into a permanent stupor.

I think Matthew was Mary's one true love, and no other will quite be able to fill his shoes. She is going to dote on her son, who will be a constant reminder of his father...also he is the future heir of Downton.

Wasn't she in love with another guy who died before becoming engaged to Matthew? She and Matthew hated each other at first then they grew to love each other. She is young and beautiful, I doubt she'll whither on the vine. Although she may begin to mistrust men's motives because she is now wealthy.

When the new season begins, it will be 6 months after Matthews death so we will know pretty quickly how she has coped.
Having grown accustomed to Julian Fellowes' technique of turnabouts and surprising ironies, the more I think about it the more inclined I am to expect Branson and Lady Mary to get it on. After all, Branson is now the Estate Manager, which puts him in close and constant contact with her via her money.

As you've said, she is young and beautiful, and considering her response to the Turk who hopped into her bed we know she is horny. And Branson is a handsome, virile young man. All it will take is one right moment, opportunity on a fragrant summer night, and a cocktail or two. And, irony of ironies, one of the last vestiges of British Empire will dissolve with an Irish chauffeur prevailing de facto over Downton Abbey.

And the series will close with Lord Grantham and Mr. Carson retiring to the library and drinking themselves into a permanent stupor.

Branson is kind of weak for Mary, I hope it's someone brand new and sexy. Here's a little spoiler, we don't know who it is but production for season 4 begins in a couple of weeks and suitors are being auditioned for Mary.

?Downton Abbey? Season 4: A love interest for
being auditioned - Zap2it

Branson is kind of weak for Mary, I hope it's someone brand new and sexy. Here's a little spoiler, we don't know who it is but production for season 4 begins in a couple of weeks and suitors are being auditioned for Mary.

?Downton Abbey? Season 4: A love interest for
being auditioned - Zap2it
Okay. I'll defer to a woman's appraisal of that situation.

(Another chauffeur, maybe?)

Last edited:
Hm. I thought it said Clean debate earlier today. That's why I felt so guilty.

Now I feel better. But I still have to stop teasing George.

George, I was just messing around.

I kind of figured you were. That's OK - as I said in PM, no harm done.

No, this isn't Clean Debate zone, but as they say, "we're trying to have a serious discussion here." If this had been any other thread, I wouldn't have batted an eye. (Not that I'm an eye batter, you understand. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;))

She was indeed - I think he either went down on the Titanic or got killed/MIA in WW I. And yes, she and Matthew did not get on well at all at first.

What's this business about men's motives, BTW? We have no MOTIVES, by God! I am SHOCKED you would think such a thing. :eek:

How could you miss something so obvious? Thomas BARROW is going to end up squiring Mary into the sunset. That's why he was built up so much in the final episode of Season 3, by coming to the aid of the other servant (Jimmy Kent) and getting the hell beat out of him under the bridge by the two bullies.

Wait a minute . . . . Oh? . . . . . . He IS? . . . . . Hmmmmm . . . . . Well, then, I guess . . . .

Never mind.

Last edited:
Is anyone else having trouble figuring out where Mrs. O'Brien is coming from? In early episodes, I had her pegged for being one of the female villains, what with her friendship with Thomas Barrow and all of the dirty tricks the two of them pulled. Remember when she caused Lady Crawley to take a spill as she got out of the bathtub?

And yet, in recent episodes, we see her changing a bit. She still is motivated largely by self-interest, but her partners in crime relationship with Barrow seems to be cooling and she has actually been seen doing some fairly nice things.

For that matter, what about Barrow himself? He too is becoming a tad more likeable, isn't he?

She was indeed - I think he either went down on the Titanic or got killed/MIA in WW I. And yes, she and Matthew did not get on well at all at first.

What's this business about men's motives, BTW? We have no MOTIVES, by God! I am SHOCKED you would think such a thing. :eek:

That's right, he did go down on the Titanic.

Ok, some men might be..

That's right, he did go down on the Titanic.

Ok, some men might be..

Glad you realize that. So . . . wanna meet me for a coke some time? :cool:

Is anyone else having trouble figuring out where Mrs. O'Brien is coming from? In early episodes, I had her pegged for being one of the female villains, what with her friendship with Thomas Barrow and all of the dirty tricks the two of them pulled. Remember when she caused Lady Crawley to take a spill as she got out of the bathtub?

And yet, in recent episodes, we see her changing a bit. She still is motivated largely by self-interest, but her partners in crime relationship with Barrow seems to be cooling and she has actually been seen doing some fairly nice things.
She was careless enough to confide in Thomas Barrow about that rather heinous trick she pulled on Lady Grantham with the bath soap. Barrow revealed it to Bates, who leveraged O'Brien to connive Barrow's redemption. Of course I thought that was a bad idea because Barrow is a contemptible character who deserved to be shit-canned and blackballed -- and worse.

For that matter, what about Barrow himself? He too is becoming a tad more likeable, isn't he?
This I don't understand. But it's just one more example of Fellowes' proficient weaving. He also wrote Gosford Park, which is a semi-mystery play (if you didn't see it, you will like it) and he probably could turn out exceptional foggy old London-type mysteries.

Back to Barrow; he isn't becoming at all likeable to me. I don't like him and I don't trust him. Both he and O'Brien deserve to be drowned in the same sack. I firmly believe a leopard's spots cannot change. Anyone can make a mistake and perpetrate an impulsive wrong. But an instinctual schemer is quite a different being. Never, never turn your back on one.

Last edited:
And what do you think of poor Shrimpy's wife? Wow - what a horrible person. Totally negative 24/7. Never says anything nice to or about anyone. Shrimpy himself seems like a jolly sort who had better get the hell out of there or she's going to drag him down with her.

I have known one or two pople like Mrs. Shrimpy. Not a good experience.

I very much enjoyed Downton Abbey in the beginning. A very posh and well written show. It was worth watching just for the gorgeous period wardrobe.

However, over time it has become identical to a daytime soap opera. Boooooooring. The ins and outs and roundabouts of Lady Mary's on again, off again relationship with Matthew Crawley is a huge drag on the show. It has become exceedingly tiresome.

But I must say Violet Crawley is priceless! :lol:

Last edited:
I very much enjoyed Downton Abbey in the beginning. A very posh and well written show. It was worth watching just for the gorgeous period wardrobe.

However, over time it has become identical to a daytime soap opera. Boooooooring. The ins and outs and roundabouts of Lady Mary's on again, off again relationship with Matthew Crawley is a huge drag on the show. It has become exceedingly tiresome.
It would indeed be an ordinary soap opera -- if it were ordinary. But it isn't.

Highclere Castle is far from an ordinary soap opera set. The sterling cast is far from ordinary, as are their costumes. Last, and most important, the script deals with an exceptionally interesting examination of reality and nuances in the relationship of Edwardian nobility with its servant class, the substance of which we Americans have little to no real awarness of. This relationship was in fact the energy for success of the extraordinarily popular and long-lasting tv series, Upstairs/Downstairs.

I'm a relatively cranky 76 year-old fart who has always been contemptuous of the typical daytime soap opera, mainly because of its revoltingly droll sameness and utter lack of talent in any aspect of the usually low-budget production. So if I (along with many millions of other non-soap-opera-liking types) can be so thoroughy captivated by Downton Abbey, they must be doing something right.

But I must say Violet Crawley is priceless! :lol:
You got me. Who is Violet Crawley? The only female Crawley I'm aware of is Matthew's mother.

The ins and outs and roundabouts of Lady Mary's on again, off again relationship with Matthew Crawley is a huge drag on the show. It has become exceedingly tiresome.

Excuse me? Prior to Matthew's unfortunate demise in the final episode of Season 3, recently aired, there were no "ins and outs" - they had been happily married for a long, long time. In the very early stages of the show, yes, there were a lot of ins and outs, which I found quite interesting, BTW. But I would say about halfway through, they were married. Have been ever since. Had a child. Ins and outs? I think not.

You got me. Who is Violet Crawley? The only female Crawley I'm aware of is Matthew's mother.

She's the dowager. Played by Maggie Smith. Maggie Smith was born in 1934. She is extremely old in real life. Extremely. ;)
George,

I believe she would be Violet Grantham, not Crawley. Crawley is Matthew's family. The Dowager is Lord Grantham's mother. (And I, too, think she is precious.)

Last edited:
Thoughts on the final episode?

Too much of a body count this season. I'm sad to see both Sybil and Matthew gone...but both actors wanted out of the show.

I do like how Thomas became more sympathetic and how Edith is evolving. I hope she moves to London and enjoys life. He's become one of the more interesting characters. Robert, however, continues to be a bore.

I agree. And now that she has a son (Matthew's heir), there is less pressure on her. She can be the Regent to the Little Prince until he comes of age.

O'Brien has L'Affair du Soap to haunt her. She is tormented with a guilty conscience. It will be interesting to see if this just stays her private torment, or if she is outed to Cora (and the aftermath of that).

Thomas' brittle shell is softening. I credit Sybil's friendship with helping him become more human.

Forum List

Back