Downton Abbey

And what do you think of poor Shrimpy's wife? Wow - what a horrible person. Totally negative 24/7. Never says anything nice to or about anyone. Shrimpy himself seems like a jolly sort who had better get the hell out of there or she's going to drag him down with her.

I have known one or two pople like Mrs. Shrimpy. Not a good experience.

I suspect Shrimpy's wife is bitter because Shrimpy is truly shrimpy.

I very much enjoyed Downton Abbey in the beginning. A very posh and well written show. It was worth watching just for the gorgeous period wardrobe.

However, over time it has become identical to a daytime soap opera. Boooooooring. The ins and outs and roundabouts of Lady Mary's on again, off again relationship with Matthew Crawley is a huge drag on the show. It has become exceedingly tiresome.

But I must say Violet Crawley is priceless! :lol:

Violet, the dowager Grantham, is the best character with all of the best one liners.

I adore Maggie Smith; she is a master of delivery.

Last edited:
You got me. Who is Violet Crawley? The only female Crawley I'm aware of is Matthew's mother.

She's the dowager. Played by Maggie Smith. Maggie Smith was born in 1934. She is extremely old in real life. Extremely. ;)
George,

I believe she would be Violet Grantham, not Crawley. Crawley is Matthew's family. The Dowager is Lord Grantham's mother. (And I, too, think she is precious.)

The family name of the Earl of Grantham is Crawley. Robert Crawley has the title of "Earl of Grantham," but that is just his title. His surname is Crawley. It would follow, then, that his mother's name would be Violet Crawley.

Scroll down a bit on this Wiki page for a list of the cast . . . .

Downton Abbey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Consider the following from the same Wiki article on DA: "The device that sets the drama in motion is the entail accompanying the (fictional) Earldom of Grantham (which endows both title and estate exclusively to heirs male) complicated by the dire financial state of the estate only saved when the earl – then the heir apparent – married an American heiress."

So we have Robert Crawley, occupying the fictional Earldom of Grantham as "Lord Grantham." But his NAME is Crawley, and, of course, so is his mother's name Crawley. The key to understanding all of this is to not confuse the Earldom of Grantham with anyone's actual name. There is no one in the show with the surname of "Grantham."

Last edited:
Is anyone else having trouble figuring out where Mrs. O'Brien is coming from? In early episodes, I had her pegged for being one of the female villains, what with her friendship with Thomas Barrow and all of the dirty tricks the two of them pulled. Remember when she caused Lady Crawley to take a spill as she got out of the bathtub?

And yet, in recent episodes, we see her changing a bit. She still is motivated largely by self-interest, but her partners in crime relationship with Barrow seems to be cooling and she has actually been seen doing some fairly nice things.

For that matter, what about Barrow himself? He too is becoming a tad more likeable, isn't he?

O'Brien has L'Affair du Soap to haunt her. She is tormented with a guilty conscience. It will be interesting to see if this just stays her private torment, or if she is outed to Cora (and the aftermath of that).

Thomas' brittle shell is softening. I credit Sybil's friendship with helping him become more human.

I think "conscience" is the operative word here. Real villains don't have one. The fact that she does (and she clearly does) is a saving grace and some indicator of hope for her future as a person. Of course, just because someone has a conscience doesn't mean they can't shove it under the rug when something they REALLY want to do comes along . . .

For that matter, Thomas Barrow is showing a bit of conscience himself now, isn't he?

Ima have to watch the first two seasons on netflix. I've been paying for it but never used netflix yet.

Ima have to watch the first two seasons on netflix. I've been paying for it but never used netflix yet.

God, I know what you mean. I am paying for Netflix, Vudu and Huluplus. I rarely use them. But I'm reluctant to get rid of them, because there is so much great stuff on them. Netflix is probably the worst. Not too much in the way of selections on there. Vudu seems best for movies. Huluplus is terrific for old t.v. series.

God, I know what you mean. I am paying for Netflix, Vudu and Huluplus. I rarely use them. But I'm reluctant to get rid of them, because there is so much great stuff on them. Netflix is probably the worst. Not too much in the way of selections on there. Vudu seems best for movies. Huluplus is terrific for old t.v. series.

I'll have to check out the other two then.

She's the dowager. Played by Maggie Smith. Maggie Smith was born in 1934. She is extremely old in real life. Extremely. ;)
George,

I believe she would be Violet Grantham, not Crawley. Crawley is Matthew's family. The Dowager is Lord Grantham's mother. (And I, too, think she is precious.)

The family name of the Earl of Grantham is Crawley. Robert Crawley has the title of "Earl of Grantham," but that is just his title. His surname is Crawley. It would follow, then, that his mother's name would be Violet Crawley.

Consider the following from the same Wiki article on DA: "The device that sets the drama in motion is the entail accompanying the (fictional) Earldom of Grantham (which endows both title and estate exclusively to heirs male) complicated by the dire financial state of the estate only saved when the earl – then the heir apparent – married an American heiress."

So we have Robert Crawley, occupying the fictional Earldom of Grantham as "Lord Grantham." But his NAME is Crawley, and, of course, so is his mother's name Crawley. The key to understanding all of this is to not confuse the Earldom of Grantham with anyone's actual name. There is no one in the show with the surname of "Grantham."
I stand corrected and grateful for the correction.

George,

I stand corrected and grateful for the correction.

I must admit that I was confused about this Grantham situaion as well. It was in researching the issue to respond to your post that I finally cleared it all up for myself. We both learn something here!

Is anyone else having trouble figuring out where Mrs. O'Brien is coming from? In early episodes, I had her pegged for being one of the female villains, what with her friendship with Thomas Barrow and all of the dirty tricks the two of them pulled. Remember when she caused Lady Crawley to take a spill as she got out of the bathtub?

And yet, in recent episodes, we see her changing a bit. She still is motivated largely by self-interest, but her partners in crime relationship with Barrow seems to be cooling and she has actually been seen doing some fairly nice things.

For that matter, what about Barrow himself? He too is becoming a tad more likeable, isn't he?

O'Brien has L'Affair du Soap to haunt her. She is tormented with a guilty conscience. It will be interesting to see if this just stays her private torment, or if she is outed to Cora (and the aftermath of that).

Thomas' brittle shell is softening. I credit Sybil's friendship with helping him become more human.

I read that Mrs. Obrien isn't coming back for Season 4, Boedicca. She decided not to renew her contract, the same as Matthew and Sybil. The viewers in Britain saw the episode with Matthews death on Christmas Day. A friend recommended this show and I love it! Unfortunately we have to wait until January 4th or the 14th to see Season 4. Britain's season 4 starts 6 months earlier.

I'm watching it again, but I've already viewed all 8 episodes plus the Christmas special...I just couldn't wait.:redface:

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. I heard the first few notes of the opening score, and suddenly, I am right back at the end of last season. Running back to my chair to watch. Remembering that Matthew is dead.....

I think one of the reasons I enjoy this show is because the- 90-120 minutes length is so much more in depth and engaging. It helps that they have no commercials too.

No disappointments whatsoever. Looking forward to the next!

:thup:

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. I heard the first few notes of the opening score, and suddenly, I am right back at the end of last season. Running back to my chair to watch. Remembering that Matthew is dead.....

I think one of the reasons I enjoy this show is because the- 90-120 minutes length is so much more in depth and engaging. It helps that they have no commercials too.

How about Super-Evil Nanny West and poor little Sybil? Didn't you see that coming? I was nervous watching her hold little George while Cora was telling her to get out.

Also, poor Edith finds love and now he wants to drag her off to Germany? I don't think so.. Too many are leaving already.

How about Super-Evil Nanny West and poor little Sybil? Didn't you see that coming? I was nervous watching her hold little George while Cora was telling her to get out.

Also, poor Edith finds love and now he wants to drag her off to Germany? I don't think so.. Too many are leaving already.

That whole ordeal had me gasping... and no, I didn't see it coming! I thought that Barrow was going to get his ass handed to him by the evil Nanny bitch. She was so strong with him! and he's so easy to dislike..so full of himself!

Edith is looking better this season, the flapper costumes flatter her. But moving to Germany (just in time for the rise of Hitler's Fascism!) is not going to solve her problems. She'd be better off living alone or (gasp) "in sin" with the publisher. I loved her line..."it's getting harder and harder to say no" as she leans in to kiss him.....oye.....she's so naive and needy. She acts as if she has no other choice! Maybe she'll get pregnant?

Forum List

Back