Downton Abbey

I was in heaven for 2 hours last night..... and absolutely loved the episode. Everything worked out great! Even Lady Edith's fortunes are on the upswing! (You have to admit that she looked great in that Cream and Green ensemble!) They resolved a whole slew of issues....and the turnabout with O'Brian and Barrow was OH so satisfying....she's a mean one!!!

Anyway..they should have ended the season last night!!

Now I know something bad is going to happen next episode.......:eek:
Lady Edith apparently is about to embark on a love affair with a married man, which was seriously scandalous in her time and place. So that doesn't look too promising -- unless that fellow's wife dies.

And it would be nice if Thomas Barrow responded to Bates' magnanimous gesture by reciprocating in some way that compensates for all the rotten things he'd done. But even Mr. Bates noble kindness can't change the spots on a sociopath, so I'm not too sure Thomas has turned about.

As for O'Brien, she must somehow be punished for what she did to Lady Grantham. And that hopeful contingency alone makes me think we might be looking forward to another season.

I have it on good authority that there is indeed going to be another season. Trust me . . . I'm a lawyer . . . .

I have no illusions that any such warmly cohesive and genuinely affectionate relationship ever did, or could, exist between an aristocratic household and its servants.

Not so sure I agree with you on that one, old sport. I have heard too many stories of very close, personal relationships that formed between (believe this one if you dare) plantation owners and household slaves. (Save the cracks about Thomas Jefferson - I'm talking about genuine relationships based on more than physical stuff. Not that Thomas Jefferson's relationship with Sally Hemings was not genuine, because I think it most certainly was.) Nannys can become almost members of the family.

I'm sure that the relationships depicted in DA were entirely possible. But not in all cases. Consider how difficult it was (and still is) for Lord Crawley to accept Thomas, a former footman who had the audacity to marry his daughter.

Last edited:
Let's talk about Downton Abbey. I am hooked on it. I have seen all episodes thus far and am watching them now as they come on every Sunday night.

What is it about DA that you like? What don't you like? What do you think about the characters? What about the plot lines? Where do you think things are headed for the Crawleys and all of the other fine characters involved in this great series?

I know there are lots out there who watch DA. I hunted for a thread on it but didn't find one, so thought I would give it a go.

Your impressions of Downton Abbey?

I like the show and think it's great entertainment. Have no idea where it's going or where it might end. I first saw it while on vacation in England while we were staying at the Royal Horse Guards Hotel in London. Since then, both my wife and I have been hooked on it. I hope it lasts for many more seasons.

Oh that's right, he was a Crawley too but now Mary will rule the roost.
Presuming the inheritance laws are the same as here, that's true. But we already know her thoughts on the matter of preserving the Abbey's integrity so there isn't much she can do to assert her newly acquired leverage.

But it will be interesting to see who comes into her life now.

. . . Branson?

Last edited:
For one thing, I thought the photography was excellent. They filmed a lot more scenes in this episode of castles, the countryside - even the fair. Just a pleasure to look at, especially in HD. And the CARS. Did you notice those two beauties they drove back to Downton Abbey in from Scotland? Great stuff.

My friend looked forward to that show. Brief season. But when she heard that George is so up on it, she concluded that George is probably quite homosexual.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

For one thing, I thought the photography was excellent. They filmed a lot more scenes in this episode of castles, the countryside - even the fair. Just a pleasure to look at, especially in HD. And the CARS. Did you notice those two beauties they drove back to Downton Abbey in from Scotland? Great stuff.

i enjoy the period detail as well..... Its been very well done.

I think Matthew was Mary's one true love, and no other will quite be able to fill his shoes. She is going to dote on her son, who will be a constant reminder of his father...also he is the future heir of Downton.

Public Notice.

When I offered a couple of jocular comments in this thread, I had not realized it was in the Clean Debate Zone with all of it's special rules.

I believe I am now obligated to offer the appropriate words of regret:

Whooops.

Downton Abbey needs something. It has Maggie Smith. It needs Emma Watson.

yhEOm.jpg

Last edited:
I think Matthew was Mary's one true love, and no other will quite be able to fill his shoes. She is going to dote on her son, who will be a constant reminder of his father...also he is the future heir of Downton.

Wasn't she in love with another guy who died before becoming engaged to Matthew? She and Matthew hated each other at first then they grew to love each other. She is young and beautiful, I doubt she'll whither on the vine. Although she may begin to mistrust men's motives because she is now wealthy.

When the new season begins, it will be 6 months after Matthews death so we will know pretty quickly how she has coped.

Last edited:
Public Notice.

When I offered a couple of jocular comments in this thread, I had not realized it was in the Clean Debate Zone with all of it's special rules.

I believe I am now obligated to offer the appropriate words of regret:

Whooops.

Downton Abbey needs something. It has Maggie Smith. It needs Emma Watson.

yhEOm.jpg

What? No it's not. It's in the TV folder. Clean Debate is way the heck at the other end of the board.

In other news, I love Emma Watson. Although I wouldn't want to go through life with the initials EW.

Forum List

Back