Downton Abbey

Sybil died of Eclampsia last night. Poor thing.

Ahem. Her father the idiot prevented her from getting proper medical care, which contributed to her death.

I can't stand him.

Now that baby is still alive, right? We heard a little cry at the end there.

Baby is alive and well. A little girl. In latest episode, it shows Dad (Tom) standing in a window, crying (of course) and holding the baby in his arms.

I completely broke down when Ethel dropped her little boy off with his grandparents so he would have a better life:

Ethel, who has fallen into prostitution, meets with Mrs. Hughes and Isobel to offer to give up her illegitimate son, Charlie, to his grandparents, the Bryants. She had rebuffed their earlier attempt to adopt the boy. A meeting is arranged, at which Ethel says goodbye to her son. Then she returns to her wretched life.

A guaranteed tear jerker. Just like the scene where the faithful family dog ("Old Shep") dies in the arms of its master or, worse, where the master has to take Old Shep out back and put a pistol to his head.

Oh don't get me started.. Marley. :(

Sybil's father takes her outside and puts a pistol to her head??! ;) Guess I shouldn't have read this before watching season 3! (It's ok, I'd been told already) But I love this show, love anything from that era, interesting to see the British class system becoming extinct after WW1.

Sybil's father takes her outside and puts a pistol to her head??! ;) Guess I shouldn't have read this before watching season 3! (It's ok, I'd been told already) But I love this show, love anything from that era, interesting to see the British class system becoming extinct after WW1.

Are we supposed to wait weeks for you to catch up before talking about it?

Shirley you jest. (I know - don't call me Surely). You do know how Sybil dies, right? Or are you speaking figuratively with regartd to Lord Grantham's role in her tragic death?

Bad show for the high society doc. In today's society, there would have been a huge malpractice suit.

Now, Sarah - go easy on her. I have mentioned how I generally wait two to six years before even starting to watch a series. Did this with Seinfeld, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad and, yes, even Downton Abbey.

If you like Donwton Abbey, you would probably like Upstairs Downstairs. There're quite similar. The writers of both series create interesting plots and subplots involving the aristocracy upstairs and service personnel downstairs. Both productions are about the social changes in first half of the 20th century and how it effects the working work class and the aristocracy. Upstairs Downstairs ran from 1971-75 and it's available on DVD. There was a remake but I don't think it was as good as the original.

Last edited:
If you like Donwton Abbey, you would probably like Upstairs Downstairs. There're quite similar. The writers of both series create interesting plots and subplots involving the aristocracy upstairs and service personnel downstairs. Both productions are about the social changes in first half of the 20th century and how it effects the working work class and the aristocracy. Upstairs Downstairs ran from 1971-75 and it's available on DVD. There was a remake but I don't think it was as good as the original.

Thanks very much. I am currently up to date in all serires, having completed Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Am currently watching Downton on a weekly basis as the shows come on.

Sooooo . . . . being a faithful Netflixer, I have placed Upstairs Downstairs into my active shows. This morning, I started Season 1, Episode 1. Immediate reaction? The producers of Downton Abbey seem to have set out to reproduce Upstairs Downstairs on a character-for-character basis. So far, I have been able to identiy half a dozen identical characters, with pretty much the same attitudes as those on Downton. Fascinating.

Only downside - no HD. But, since I am "between series," I will indeed give this one a shot. Thanks again.

Thanks very much. I am currently up to date in all serires, having completed Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Am currently watching Downton on a weekly basis as the shows come on.

Sooooo . . . . being a faithful Netflixer, I have placed Upstairs Downstairs into my active shows. This morning, I started Season 1, Episode 1. Immediate reaction? The producers of Downton Abbey seem to have set out to reproduce Upstairs Downstairs on a character-for-character basis. So far, I have been able to identiy half a dozen identical characters, with pretty much the same attitudes as those on Downton. Fascinating.

Only downside - no HD. But, since I am "between series," I will indeed give this one a shot. Thanks again.
Yes, I thought the same thing. Downton seems like an adaption of Upstairs Downstairs. The time frame is a little different. UD starts with the turn of the century and ends just before WWII. They all hit on the same social issues and have wonderfully characters.

Help me out here.

I watched season one on netflix, no problems.

I watched season two on hulu, no problems.

I watched season 3, episodes 1 - 3, on PBS no problems.

Episode 4 kept stopping, but watchable. Episode 5 stops every 30 seconds until I got so frustrated I threw my computer in the pool.

Same computer.

Help me out here.

Episode 4 kept stopping, but watchable. Episode 5 stops every 30 seconds until I got so frustrated I threw my computer in the pool.

Same computer.

God psycho. :lol:

Help me out here.

Same computer.

She must hate me. It was awful enough to see who died in episode 4. Now this. :doubt:

Help me out here.

Same computer.

She must hate me. It was awful enough to see who died in episode 4. Now this. :doubt:

Not mentioning the prostitute who gave up her son to the grandparents.

Help me out here.

Same computer.

Are you watching all of this on your computer or on a flat screen in some other room with a wireless connection? I am doing the latter and had the problem you are describing. I solved the problem by increasing my bandwidth. Call your Internet connection provider and see if you are max'd out or if you can purchase a higher bandwidth. I thought I had the max but didn't. I increased it and no more problems with any of the streaming programs (Netflix, VuDu, etc.).

Even if you are watching on your computer, low bandwidth may still be the problem. You might want to call Netflix and, if you can connect with a human, see what they have to say.

First, though, retrieve your computer from your pool and dry it off . . . .:eek:

I was Googling around about DA because I wanted to know a bit more about it. In the course of doing that, I caught a major league spoiler. It seems that Season 3 has already been shown in the UK. Some clown was talking about "Sybil's death." Thanks a lot, mate. That was prior to last night's episode where, guess what? Sybil died.

Thanks George. I was about to start watching Season 3...;o(

Sorry, man. Cheer up, though. Even though you know it's coming, the circumstances of the death are most interesting and serve as the starting point for future drama.

Not mentioning the prostitute who gave up her son to the grandparents.

That really got to you, didn't it? I have a suggestion. Get some popcorn, some hot chocolate, snuggle up in front of the telly and watch a rerun of "Terms of Endearment."
You'll feel so much better. :popcorn:

I love the show.

It transports me to another time and place for one superb, enjoyable hour on Sunday evening! It is filled with English pageantry and elegance, pomp and circumstance.

It's like I get a voyeuristic first hand look at all the formality and protocol that these families and their staff endured. The ennui must have been exhausting for the Lords and Ladies! :lol:

I love that we get to see the world through the servants eyes as well (it is much better than Upstairs/Downstairs). They remind us that there is dignity in service.

Lastly the actual castle is a character in and of itself. It imbues the entire show with a sense of reverence, and respect for the past.... It is a beautiful place with gorgeous grounds and a stunning interior. The art work, furniture, wall coverings, cutlery, dishes, serving tables, lamps, etc.....perfect to the most minute detail.

I think it's brilliantly done.

Love, love , love it!

Last edited:
Let's talk about Downton Abbey. I am hooked on it. I have seen all episodes thus far and am watching them now as they come on every Sunday night.

What is it about DA that you like? What don't you like? What do you think about the characters? What about the plot lines? Where do you think things are headed for the Crawleys and all of the other fine characters involved in this great series?

I know there are lots out there who watch DA. I hunted for a thread on it but didn't find one, so thought I would give it a go.

Your impressions of Downton Abbey?
I can't think of anything I've ever watched on television that I enjoyed as much as I enjoy Downton Abbey, which is first rate in every way; cast, script, costumes, sets, direction. Everything!

Tonight's two-hour episode was especially eventful: Bates walks out of prison looking like Lord Chesterfield, Branson is being absorbed by the family, Lydia is embarking on a scandalous love affair, Lady Crawley and the Dowager rescue Ethel the maid from despair, Thomas is exposed, condemned, then rescued by Bates.

Too bad about Sybil, who will be missed.

Nah, I was joking! ;)

Forum List

Back