Downton Abbey

Sybil's father takes her outside and puts a pistol to her head??! ;) Guess I shouldn't have read this before watching season 3! (It's ok, I'd been told already) But I love this show, love anything from that era, interesting to see the British class system becoming extinct after WW1.

Are we supposed to wait weeks for you to catch up before talking about it?

Nah, I was joking! ;)

Well, I didn't watch this week's yet so nobody can talk about it.. :lol:

When I found out season 3 had already aired in England, I went and downloaded them all from a secret place on Dark Side of the Web and my Wife and I watched it all in about a week.

Apparently I'm exactly 2 days older than Hugh Bonneville (Lord Grantham).

I'd rather listen to my father rap than watch an episode of Downton Abbey. It's the biggest pile of wank I've ever seen.
Actually I had wondered what your opinion might be inasmucn as you are a Brit and all that the nobility was (and is) has a different ring to you than to us -- as I can well understand.

I have no illusions that any such warmly cohesive and genuinely affectionate relationship ever did, or could, exist between an aristocratic household and its servants. At the back of my mind I fully realize that Downton Abbey is a fairy tale presentation of circumstances contemporary with the Edwardian era. As such at the front of my mind I allow myself the luxury (and momentary escape) of accepting and enjoying it for what it is. A play.

As an American, thus far removed from any such trappings as frank and unmitigated aristocracy, I am able to appreciate it as an honest and uncomplicated view of the same reality which exists here but is covertly defined by wealth and political power rather than by noble title. There and then the situation was overtly defined, leaving nothing to question. One knew one's place and exactly what was required in and of it.

Here and now the same circumstances exist but the rules are not so clearly defined. We enjoy the luxury of comfortable self-delusion.

Last edited:
Regrettably, because I was involved with other things during its time frame, I paid no attention at all to the three-year production of Upstairs / Downstairs but I intend to buy the CD collection (probably as present to myself next Christmas). In the meantime I did manage to watch (and record) the eight episodes of the re-make, which seems rather abbreviated. I'm wondering if they intend to leave it at that or if a continuation is to follow.

If I had seen the original I might have been made aware much sooner of the fascination many Americans (including I) have with the human element of the relationship between the declining British nobility and its servant class, which, until recently, had been perceived by us as robotic anonymities who answered doors in formal dress, carried trays, and made beds.

The first movie I saw which imparted human and social identity to these formerly transparent accessory beings was Gosford Park. Trailer here, compliments of YouTube: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwtZuGvawwY]Gosford Park Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

While Gosford Park, which is an excellent movie, did evoke firm awareness of the human reality of the Edwardian servant class, the main theme of the film is the telling of a tale rather than in-depth examination of a particular social order, its class distinctions and their human relationships. But a powerful exception to that exclusion is The Remains of The Day, in which brilliant performances by Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson closely examine the conditioned mindset of the archetypal butler in an aristocratic pre-WWII British household.

Another trailer, compliments of YouTube: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdTI5s5-PwA]The Remains Of The Day - OFFICIAL TRAILER - YouTube[/ame]

Next week is the season finale already.
That is sad. Downton Abbey is as rare and delicious an escape from the reality of now as it gets. There are no Mr. Carsons, no Mrs. Patmores, no Daisys, and no Grantham Dowagers in the real world.

I was afraid the end is near, as last night's two-hour episode ominously predicted. So where will I go to get away for an hour?

That is sad. Downton Abbey is as rare and delicious an escape from the reality of now as it gets. There are no Mr. Carsons, no Mrs. Patmores, no Daisys, and no Grantham Dowagers in the real world.

I was afraid the end is near, as last night's two-hour episode ominously predicted. So where will I go to get away for an hour?

There's a three part miniseries called Parades End on HBO starting Feb. 26. There are good things here and there throughout the year.

I love the show, but I am thoroughly sick of Lord Crawley. Robert is a dim bulb who is very full of himself.

At this point, the evidence that he is an idiot is irrefutable:

1. His lousy testimony at Bate's trial ensured the latter's conviction.
2. His making WWI all about himself getting to wear a uniform and be in charge of the action.
3. His pseudo affair with a maid.
4. How he lost all of Cora's money by investing all of it in a railroad scheme.
5. His mismangement of the estate.
6. And worst of all, how his snobbery in insisting that Lord Tapsell oversee Sybil's labor instead of taking Dr. Clarkson's advice caused Sybil to die.

I can't stand him. He's an inbred moron.

He's HUMAN, for Pete's sake. That's precisely what I like about him.

He's a pompous nincompoop.

When I found out season 3 had already aired in England, I went and downloaded them all from a secret place on Dark Side of the Web and my Wife and I watched it all in about a week.

Apparently I'm exactly 2 days older than Hugh Bonneville (Lord Grantham).

But I bet you're a hell of a lot smarter than His Lordship.

Maggie Smith is the best. She gets the most fabulous one-liner zingers in the scripts.

I don't know if any of you remember the movie Ordinary People but Elizabeth McGovern was in that. She was Timothy Hutton's girlfriend now she's Cora Crawley.

Such good parts from way back.

I was in heaven for 2 hours last night..... and absolutely loved the episode. Everything worked out great! Even Lady Edith's fortunes are on the upswing! (You have to admit that she looked great in that Cream and Green ensemble!) They resolved a whole slew of issues....and the turnabout with O'Brian and Barrow was OH so satisfying....she's a mean one!!!

Anyway..they should have ended the season last night!!

Now I know something bad is going to happen next episode.......:eek:

I was in heaven for 2 hours last night..... and absolutely loved the episode. Everything worked out great! Even Lady Edith's fortunes are on the upswing! (You have to admit that she looked great in that Cream and Green ensemble!) They resolved a whole slew of issues....and the turnabout with O'Brian and Barrow was OH so satisfying....she's a mean one!!!

Does this mean you are predicting defeat in the Cricket Match? Forsooth!

I'm liking Thomas these days. He doesn't have a victim mentality. And I do believe the Soap Nemesis is going to pay a visit to O'Brien. She's due for a major Karma Bitch Slap.

Last edited:

Does this mean you are predicting defeat in the Cricket Match? Forsooth!

I'm liking Thomas these days. He doesn't have a victim mentality. And I do believe the Soap Nemesis is going to pay a visit to O'Brien. She's due for a major Karma Bitch Slap.
Lose the cricket match? Oh dear, of course not. The House must prevail!!

As for O'Brian...yeah that one has a long overdue comeuppance...we can all "sit back and enjoy it" as she crumbles.......:evil:

:popcorn:

Lady Edith apparently is about to embark on a love affair with a married man, which was seriously scandalous in her time and place. So that doesn't look too promising -- unless that fellow's wife dies.

And it would be nice if Thomas Barrow responded to Bates' magnanimous gesture by reciprocating in some way that compensates for all the rotten things he'd done. But even Mr. Bates noble kindness can't change the spots on a sociopath, so I'm not too sure Thomas has turned about.

As for O'Brien, she must somehow be punished for what she did to Lady Grantham. And that hopeful contingency alone makes me think we might be looking forward to another season.

Forum List

Back