dont take it personal

Said1 said:
It's true, and I believe it's practiced most by people of the Jewish faith, but I had a Christian prof who spelled it that way too.

I know tons of Jewish people, and none of them do it.. I didn't knock HIM for it, I just stated I think it's a crock of shit. I wasn't under the impression that if one had a dissenting opinion, one must keep it to themselves, as it's unwelcome.

Hmph.

freeandfun1 said:
Dillo, AJ is right on this one. This dude is lying through his fingers. There was NO Islam before Mohammed. He is the one that started the religion. So how could there have been a "more peaceful" version of Islam before Mohammed?

I have to look this up later for exam purposes, so I may be wrong! Thorton is probably refering to the first followers of Isalm who were fairly peaceful - the Bedoines (sp??). The different sects came later, as the disagreements such as the one you mentioned deveolped.

Shattered said:
I know tons of Jewish people, and none of them do it.. I didn't knock HIM for it, I just stated I think it's a crock of shit. I wasn't under the impression that if one had a dissenting opinion, one must keep it to themselves, as it's unwelcome.

Hmph.

Just curious, why do you think it's a crock of shit?

freeandfun1 said:
So how could there have been a "more peaceful" version of Islam before Mohammed?
You could look at it as the only time Islam has been peaceful was before it was created. Especially since the first thing Mohammed did was to go on the warpath to conquer the Arab world.

Said1 said:
Just curious, why do you think it's a crock of shit?

I can see people not "taking the lords name in vain", but this is just a discussion - not an argument (at least I didn't think it was), and most people are hypocritical by nature at least once at *some* point in thier lives. Seems kinda silly to slam one portion of any type of religion, and then worry about spelling out a word lest they be struck by lightning, or something...

(I could probably explain what I mean better if I weren't doing this while I should be working)...

Shattered said:
I can see people not "taking the lords name in vain", but this is just a discussion - not an argument (at least I didn't think it was), and most people are hypocritical by nature at least once at *some* point in thier lives. Seems kinda silly to slam one portion of any type of religion, and then worry about spelling out a word lest they be struck by lightning, or something...

(I could probably explain what I mean better if I weren't doing this while I should be working)...

I understand what you mean. :)

Ok, AJ, assuming you're not trying to be a condescending a** with your posts, and deletion of the letter "O" from the word, precisely how do you have a face-to-face conversation such as this one without *using* the word "God"?

Shattered said:
Ok, AJ, assuming you're not trying to be a condescending a** with your posts, and deletion of the letter "O" from the word, precisely how do you have a face-to-face conversation such as this one without *using* the word "God"?

The reason most Jewish people spell the name of G-d without an "o" throughout Jewish writings?

Any Hebrew name of G-d is forbidden to erase. From the Torah's (Old Testament) exhortation to destroy idolatry, we learn out the prohibition not to destroy the name of G-d. (see Deuteronomy 12:3-4)

The English word "G-d" is actually a matter of dispute as to its degree of holiness. Many treat the name "G-d" with great reverence as well, for example, by spelling it with a hyphen.

If my omitting the "o" in the spelling of the name of G-d bothers you, then you must forgive me for the reason enumerated above.

My question was "How do you have a face-to-face discussion without the word God"? I assume that since you must delete 1/3rd of the spelling, you must also refrain from using at least 1/3rd of the word.

Shattered said:
My question was "How do you have a face-to-face discussion without the word God"? I assume that since you must delete 1/3rd of the spelling, you must also refrain from using at least 1/3rd of the word.

The FULL name of G-d is used only in prayers and is spelled out in the Hebrew text. In the context of having purposeful usage in prayer, the use of the name has nothing whatsoever to do with any face-to-face discussion with the Creator.

The use of any of the Hebrew names of G-d have no bearing on you or your derogatory statements regarding my use of words on a bulletin board.

ajwps said:
The FULL name of G-d is used only in prayers and is spelled out in the Hebrew text. In the context of having purposeful usage in prayer, the use of the name has nothing whatsoever to do with any face-to-face discussion with the Creator.

The use of any of the Hebrew names of G-d have no bearing on you or your derogatory statements regarding my use of words on a bulletin board.

**shakes head**

Ooooooooook.

dilloduck said:
I can just imagine trying to work out a peace plan for the mid-east with AJ as the chief negotiator :laugh:

How do you imagine George W. Bush as chief negotiatior and at working out his peace plan for an Iraqi election (like that in Afghanastan) in the middle-east?

Does going to war against the enemies who swear to destroy your countrymen bother you? As a negotiator for a peace plan with radical terrorists, just exactly what would you do?

As a negotiator for a peace plan with radical terrorists, just exactly what would you do?

A good ass-kicking first to show them we mean business, and "chat over tea and crumpets" later? :)

I know, I know.. You don't like that answer.

Shattered said:
A good ass-kicking first to show them we mean business, and "chat over tea and crumpets" later? :)

I know, I know.. You don't like that answer.

My friendly antagonist Dill knows my answer. Kicking ass is not the same as forcing your foes by aggressive war into signing a document of unconditional surrender.

If your foe refuses to surrender until their last enemy soldier is killed, then they should get their wish.

"General Norman Schwartzkopf.
'

ajwps said:
The reason most Jewish people spell the name of G-d without an "o" throughout Jewish writings?

That's because there is no letter O in the Hebrew alphabet... :D

On a serious note, at first I mistook you for a liberal God-hater, LOL.

:cool:

TheEnemyWithin said:
That's because there is no letter O in the Hebrew alphabet... :D

On a serious note, at first I mistook you for a liberal God-hater, LOL.

:cool:

Yep there are volwel marks in Hebrew that makes the "o" sound when
found in a word.

Not a liberal nor a atheist or agnositic.

Originally Posted by ajwps
Arabian I hate to tell you this for you are in for a very big surprise.

Allah is not a god nor even anything living. Allah is a carved stone idol made into a god by the LAST PROPHET MUHAMMAD in the 7th century. Remember nothing happens without being the will of Allah.

If there was an allah god, why would he allow his believers to fall to the lowest level of civilization?

Why would he allow the Arabs to lose every war against Israel?

Why does Allah allow the infidels to attack Islamic lands and destroy those who attacked the United States on 09/11?

Where is Allah now? That he made Islamic people to serve the infidels of the earth is now becoming clear as glass.

Soon Allah will watch as all of his Islamic believers as they are driven back to their 7th century tents while living in the human waste of mankind.

The Sunii and the Shite kill each other in great numbers now as the rightful heirs to the prophet Muhammad. Iraq's Saddam and Iran's Ayatollah killed each other in their millions.

Allah the Beneficient has ordered the death of his believers.....

why not? understanding means having learned about something. There are many non-Jews that know more about Judaism than some Jews do. There are some non-Christians that know more about Chrsitianity than some Christians do.

Dillo, AJ is right on this one. This dude is lying through his fingers. There was NO Islam before Mohammed. He is the one that started the religion. So how could there have been a "more peaceful" version of Islam before Mohammed?

Unless he is talking about the moon god worshipers.

The difference between Sunni and Shia has to do with their disagreements on "whom" took over after Mohammed's death. The Shia believe it was one dude and the Sunni's believe it was another.

cleActually you are mistaken
There was Islam before Mohammed
As we all know that Abraham is the father of the prophets
And he says
Quran : 002. Al-Baqarah
132. And this (submission to Allâh, Islâm) was enjoined by Ibrâhim (Abraham) upon his sons and by Ya'qûb (Jacob), (saying), "O my sons! Allâh has chosen for you the (true) religion, then die not except in the Faith of Islâm (as Muslims - Islâmic Monotheism)."
133. Or were you witnesses when death approached Ya'qûb (Jacob)? When he said unto his sons, "What will you worship after me?" They said, "We shall worship your Ilâh [] (God - Allâh), the Ilâh (God) of your fathers, Ibrâhim (Abraham), Ismâ'il (Ishmael), Ishâque (Isaac), One Ilâh (God), and to Him we submit (in Islâm)."
Quran : 002. Al-Baqarah
136. Say (O Muslims), "We believe in Allâh and that which has been sent down to us and that which has been sent down to Ibrâhim (Abraham), Ismâ'il (Ishmael), Ishâque (Isaac), Ya'qûb (Jacob), and to Al-Asbât [the twelve sons of Ya'qûb (Jacob)], and that which has been given to Mûsa (Moses) and 'Iesa (Jesus), and that which has been given to the Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and to Him we have submitted (in Islâm)."

Quran : 003. Aal-'Imrân
52. Then when 'Iesa (Jesus) came to know of their disbelief, he said: "Who will be my helpers in Allâh's Cause?" Al-Hawâriûn (the disciples) said: "We are the helpers of Allâh; we believe in Allâh, and bear witness that we are Muslims (i.e. we submit to Allâh)."
53. Our Lord! We believe in what You have sent down, and we follow the Messenger ['Iesa (Jesus)]; so write us down among those who bear witness (to the truth i.e. Lâ ilâha ill-Allâh - none has the right to be worshipped but Allâh).
64. Say (O Muhammad SAW): "O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians): Come to a word that is just between us and you, that we worship none but Allâh, and that we associate no partners with Him, and that none of us shall take others as lords besides Allâh[]. Then, if they turn away, say: "Bear witness that we are Muslims."

102. O you who believe! Fear Allâh (by doing all that He has ordered and by abstaining from all that He has forbidden) as He should be feared. [Obey Him, be thankful to Him, and remember Him always], and die not except in a state of Islâm (as Muslims) with complete submission to Allâh.
Quran : 021. Al-Anbiyâ'
108. Say (O Muhammad SAW): "It is revealed to me that your Ilâh (God) is only one Ilâh (God - Allâh). Will you then submit to His Will (become Muslims and stop worshipping others besides Allâh)?"

And as you see Islam is the religion for all prophets
And Muhammad just came to complete the last version of the message
But what the meaning of Islam
Muslim means in Arabic the one who surrender him self to his creator
He do his best ,, but believe deep in him that all things is in the hand of Allah

And about the Sunni and shite,
Sunni belief that Muhammad PBUH is the right prophet
And shite belief that the inspiration should come on Ali ebn abi taleb
Instead of Muhammad PBUH
Which I think is so wrong cause Ali ebn abi taleb was one of the great believe in Muhammad PBUH and he was his son in law "he married his daughter" lets don’t get through this
Its something like way ,, but both have the same Qur'an and belief that there is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger
Am not saying that saddam was right in this war but it also wasn’t a religiouse war it was a political war
The same as between USA and Vietnam Christian killed Christian

And sorry AJ you are mistaken Muslim didn’t defeated in all their war against Israel ,, don’t you remember the 6th of October 1973 or 1956
And actually I don’t call war 84 was fair cause all the world know about this damaged weapon that they gave to the Arabs and the truce that have been taken and the both sides deal not to charge again with weapon ,, but America let down this deal or promise and charged Israel with weapon,, "America stand beside Israel even before the intefada or any thing happened so just don’t say that USA stand by Israel because they are civilized country is there is any gentleman don’t keep his word and don’t admit the UN decision and do it "

And about other wars that happened recently
It wasn’t areal war
It was just a plan on the air through their bombs and chemical weapon,
"That UN forbid using it", what do you wait , aha you wait people fly and fight with it
and what you call what happened in fallujah and the prisons in Iraq
what you wait from them after humiliating and loosing their dignity
don’t you wait revenge hate ,, its you who planted this hate in their heart
and in word or other THEY DEFEND THEIR LANDS
and about you talked about human respect and these stuff
I think Islam is the most proper religion that respect human
"not according to his religion and nationality like what is happening now"

Forum List

Back