Don't like the Upgrade at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give pixie her animated avie.

Pixie can have her animated avie. If she has her old one, she needs to get somebody that knows how to resize GIF images to make the avatar the proper size so the board software doesn't HAVE to, because the board software converts all animated images to static pictures due to the complexity involved in maintaining all the frames in an animated one.

I kinda miss the old board. And kinda not. I'm on the proverbial fence.

I am not resistant to change, but I did like the old format better. Without ad block this would be a nightmare.

Some of the features are better with this format....I think some of the features with the other format were better under the old system.

Bottom line: I think to call this an "upgrade" is a stretch. My guess all along is the change was done to either save money, or generate more money for the owners. The users of USMB who ultimately pay all the bills either as supporting members or by their presence (eyeballs on the screen) were a secondary consideration at best.

I can see your point. But now I am leary of using Like or Agree or even Disagree cuz I got reamed a new one today for doing all three.

If admin needs to find less expensive software, then great. Understood. Making money is understandable too. But....and there is that pesky but....it affected the people that MADE this board, yes? So..why not make them as happy as they can? Give pixie her animated avie. Get more script for different colors to soothe older eyes, etc.

I agree with you completely. And I also do not begrudge the owners making their money. But just be honest that money was the reason for the change. I think folks always appreciate a little honesty. :)

Give pixie her animated avie.

Pixie can have her animated avie. If she has her old one, she needs to get somebody that knows how to resize GIF images to make the avatar the proper size so the board software doesn't HAVE to, because the board software converts all animated images to static pictures due to the complexity involved in maintaining all the frames in an animated one.
@PixieStix

CK said no animated avies, cause the system would be laden with such..It would make downloading a page slower..

My apologies. I was just responding in reference to what's possible with the board software.

I didn't know about the policy against them.

CK said no animated avies, cause the system would be laden with such..It would make downloading a page slower..

My apologies. I was just responding in reference to what's possible with the board software.

No biggie as I was interested in a GIF for an avie also, but it only works when you are in your account HQ..and that was his response in his thread about the change..

I love CK, but that's a bunch of hooey.

What Ck said?? He's da man in control...it's his play ground and his toys...
But he wouldn't have a playground without members. I have a board. It sits empty. I closed it down because nothing pleased anyone and it was a pita. But that was my choice cuz I got tired of it all. This place WANTS members.

I don't see how an itty bitty animated avie could drag the board. If anything would drag it it would be the nested quotes. Or all that storage space if one pays for membership.

Without members....no board. Very simple. I was on a board for many years that has basically gone belly up. The owners and CK need to realize without members...no jobs and no money.

Sure it's the owners site....and CK runs the show for them. But awareness of the people paying the bills is always a good thing. Like any business...this one is customer driven. :)

Maybe the calculation is some people will be lost but they will be replaced by new members. However, there are many people (such as Pixie) that have been major contributors to this board for many years. If you lose those major contributors (who contribute financially or otherwise) this message board will likely take a big hit. I hope the potential loss of those types of contributors has been factored in.

No biggie as I was interested in a GIF for an avie also, but it only works when you are in your account HQ..and that was his response in his thread about the change..
I have gif avies on other boards. No biggie. I'm on five different boards having to do w/ different topics & they all have diff functionalities.

I think I am getting disappointed. Questions keep being asked...no answers forthcoming. It's like the new software made it to where we were thrown into a completely new room with some cool gadgets, but are now being ignored. I feel like it is solitary confinement but with a few perks so we don't notice the silence.

I think I am getting disappointed. Questions keep being asked...no answers forthcoming. It's like the new software made it to where we were thrown into a completely new room with some cool gadgets, but are now being ignored. I feel like it is solitary confinement but with a few perks so we don't notice the silence.

So many
Queen of Solitary Confinement? :(

I think they're done explaining. Not that a lot of that was done to begin with. This is want the powers that be want. Bottom line. :)

^this

TBH, I don't really mind the change. Of course, I hadn't the chance to get used to the old format like most of you all, so I really don't miss it all that much. I have a couple of issues, but they are very minor. For the most part, I'm fine with things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back