Doing business with millenials...God help us.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Recently I was in a day long meeting/presentation in Colorado with a well known company who will remain undisclosed...for about an hour we were discussing the major difficulties in doing business with the up and coming millennials. It was a private meeting, however still surprised such a large and well known company would be so critical of the generation that are also their customers. But the point is well taken, our company is also beginning to struggle to do business...even knowing how to do business...with the generation now entering the workforce.

As outlined in their presentation, Millennials:
Pros
Technology masters
Quick to learn new skills (when they want to learn them)
Entrepreneurial
Quick adapters
Enthusiastic
Cons:
Lazy
Poor management skills
Poor team players
Expect authority to respect them first
Expect promotions as a matter of fact
Extremely poor communicators
Little to no loyalty

I can attest to all of the above...I hate...hate...hate...doing business with anyone under 30. Nightmare. Business etiquette? None. Realistic expectations and understanding mutual benefit of vendor/buyer relationships...no clue whatsoever. Communicating?? Pull your hair out...twice now I received an after hour TEXT...asking a question...are you f*cking kidding me??
Their emails are filled with lol's and abbreviations etc. etc.
Oh my God....

Agreed. We can blame the parents, I think, for raising little narcissistic monsters who will apparently remain in an adolescent phase of emotional development for the remainder of their lives.

Millennials have much to learn to become successful, and much to unlearn: that they are not entitled to anything.

Recently I was in a day long meeting/presentation in Colorado with a well known company who will remain undisclosed...for about an hour we were discussing the major difficulties in doing business with the up and coming millennials. It was a private meeting, however still surprised such a large and well known company would be so critical of the generation that are also their customers. But the point is well taken, our company is also beginning to struggle to do business...even knowing how to do business...with the generation now entering the workforce.

As outlined in their presentation, Millennials:
Pros
Technology masters
Quick to learn new skills (when they want to learn them)
Entrepreneurial
Quick adapters
Enthusiastic
Cons:
Lazy
Poor management skills
Poor team players
Expect authority to respect them first
Expect promotions as a matter of fact
Extremely poor communicators
Little to no loyalty

I can attest to all of the above...I hate...hate...hate...doing business with anyone under 30. Nightmare. Business etiquette? None. Realistic expectations and understanding mutual benefit of vendor/buyer relationships...no clue whatsoever. Communicating?? Pull your hair out...twice now I received an after hour TEXT...asking a question...are you f*cking kidding me??
Their emails are filled with lol's and abbreviations etc. etc.
Oh my God....
You should of heard the talk about your lousy generation...

Millennials are the worst.

Our company keeps them in the lower managerial and supervisor jobs until they shed their innate entitlement and elitism.

If they don't, they get canned. End of that story.

Well thank God we don't have any working here (yet)
We are actually trying to think about, shit....hiring one...dear God....in sales to try and market to these alien beings.
Seriously...by 2020, millennials will comprise of about 1/4 the full time positions in America. So dealing with them will be necessary.
We are also going to invest heavy dough into making our website so that people can conduct business with us without ever communicating with an actual human being. In fact, their request will not touch a human hand until production. yea millennials!! Your preferred way of doing business (no human interaction) will put a great many of you out of work, or prevent you from ever finding a job!
This kind of software in non-retail industries is known as "lights out automation".
Again, congratulations to millennials for being so anti-social they will no longer actually have to speak to anyone!!

Yeah, the one that designed/invented/built everything you know of.
It was said by your peers when you were still a Meat-head in their eyes...

And it will be said again.
Every generation thinks the following one is subpar to their. Of course.
This time, however, it certainly seems to be true.
Take my previous generation. Born in the 1930's-40's...hardworking, albeit not very ambitious, traditional, but resisting progress with a passion. Racist, sexist but extremely loyal and easy to satisfy.
My generation...movers and shakers. Ambitious, desiring change, shucking tradition racism/sexism. Created the technological extreme advances we see today.
However...we are too ambitious. Envious, want what our parents had that took them a lifetime to achieve - HOWEVER - we were willing to work to get it, and what we couldn't get through working like dogs - we borrowed. Oops.
Also selfish and self centered. We also created Walmartism/Coporatism.
We have certainly f*cked up a number of things.
Difference is...I see no redeeming qualitities in millennials.
They also want what we, their parents, have - but are NOT wiling to work for it.

Take my previous generation. Born in the 1930's-40's...hardworking, albeit not very ambitious, traditional, but resisting progress with a passion. Racist, sexist but extremely loyal and easy to satisfy.
My generation...movers and shakers. Ambitious, desiring change, shucking tradition racism/sexism. Created the technological extreme advances we see today.
However...we are too ambitious. Envious, want what our parents had that took them a lifetime to achieve - HOWEVER - we were willing to work to get it, and what we couldn't get through working like dogs - we borrowed. Oops.
They also want what we, their parents, have - but are NOT wiling to work for it.
I've had many that worked for me that were industrious and hardworking...

Again, speaking on generalities.
I have met them also (good ones) however they are outnumbered 5 to 1...make that 20 to 1.

I have met them also (good ones) however they are outnumbered 5 to 1...make that 20 to 1.

Well, you haven't met nearly CLOSE to all millennials, so how accurate are you stats?

They said the same of my generation, 1960-70's, except they also called us dope heads...

They said the same of my generation, 1960-70's, except they also called us dope heads...

And dirty hippies! Lol. :D

Forum List

Back