Does your vote in 2020 really matter- most likely not

I find that the problem here isn't that your vote doesn't matter.

The problem is that you want YOUR vote to matter the most. You want to be the deciding vote, or you want to ensure that people look to you and say that "There is the person that won it for us!"

The United States has never been a nation of mob rule.

And the act of voting has never been a "mob". You have no point, it's absurd on its face.
You should take up some philosophy someday.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting for lunch.

The act of voting, particularly in an era of mass media influencing public opinion, is nothing BUT mob rule.

Aaaaaaaaand you can't defend the position either.
You began with a false premise. By definition voters are not "wolves". Start there.
I have defended my position. Your unwillingness to accept it is your problem.

USA 1016 election
Here are the final numbers:

Clinton received 65,844,610 votes, or 48.2% of the total vote.
Trump received 62,979,636 votes, or 46.1% of the total vote. (That's a difference of 2.86 million votes.)
Here is the final popular vote count of the 2016 election just in case you want to feel bad

It was the Electoral College that got Trump into the White House, not the U.S. citizens vote.

So folks, it matters not how you vote but if you don’t vote you have so say in the matter.

Are You Going To Vote & why

Thanks in advance

:)-

I'll probably vote just because my state is what's known in that parlance of the rigged system a "swing" state, meaning I have a roughly one-in-4.75 million chance of being the vote that tips the scales if two candies each have exactly 2 million and my vote could give one of them 2 million and one.

My sister and brother in a red state and a blue state respectively, they may vote but neither one will count, because their states are already decided before they even leave the house. My vote therefore is worth 1/475000000 more than theirs (which are each zero).

In 2016 my state did not have a majority of the vote for any candidate. Nobody cracked 50%. Yet they sent 100% of our electors to Rump. Same thing happened in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan, that trio of states pointed to as making the difference of 70,000 votes (total). No one won any of them. Yet all three of them sent 100% of their electors to Rump.

Nobody's vote matters who lives in a so-called "red" or "blue" state has a vote. That state is already decided. A voter therein can vote red, can vote blue, can vote third party, or option D, can stay home and bake a pizza. All four actions produce exactly the same result with the exception that under option D you actually get some pizza. And those who live in so-called "swing" states, half of us will have our votes tossed in the shitcan too. Sometimes more than half.

What a great system.. Said no one ever except Pakistan.
Oh dear, I wish you wouldn't think that way. Look at the Bush election where it came down to ... what was it .... 200 votes? Less? that determined the presidency?

I wish the EC system were gone, but if everyone had your attitude, Pogo, it would be a disaster. The EC "votes" or whatever you call them go to the candidate with the most votes in that state. So yes, every individual's vote matters.

Since states are awarded their EC votes based on population, I still don't understand how it's more "fair" to sparsely populated states than straight majority voting would be.

I'm going to vote as always even though my vote for president has never counted towards electing them. It's all part of the curse of being in the local political minority. This fundamentally undemocratic system of electing the president must end.

Your vote counts. It always counts.

I started voting when I was 18 in 1978. I have voted in every election since registering. The people I voted for all through the 80s always lost. It wasn't until the 90s that people I voted for started to win.

Things do change.

Keep voting and don't get discouraged.
You have to be encouraged to begin with to get discouraged. I cast my first vote for president in 1984.

I see things differently.

I think it's because I'm second generation in this nation. My dad's parents came here escaping the Armenian genocide.

I grew up being told that I owe my life to America.

My dad believed that so much that he volunteered for the Army during the Korean War. He wasn't drafted. He believed he had an obligation to give back to the nation that saved the lives of his parents thus making it possible for him to even exist.

Both of my parents taught my siblings and I how important it is to vote. How so important it is to take part in the process.

Countless people died so that we have that right to vote. As a woman I know we women had to struggle even more to get that right to vote. Women were put in prison, lost their children, lost their spouse and some even lost their lives just so I can vote.

When Susan B. Anthony was taken to prison for voting, they took her on a street car. The driver of the car demanded a nickel for her fare. She told the driver to get it from the police who was taking her to prison.

I sure am not going to make their sacrifice worthless.

Last edited:

USA 1016 election

Trump received 62,979,636 votes, or 46.1% of the total vote. (That's a difference of 2.86 million votes.)
Here is the final popular vote count of the 2016 election just in case you want to feel bad

It was the Electoral College that got Trump into the White House, not the U.S. citizens vote.

So folks, it matters not how you vote but if you don’t vote you have so say in the matter.

Thanks in advance

I'll probably vote just because my state is what's known in that parlance of the rigged system a "swing" state, meaning I have a roughly one-in-4.75 million chance of being the vote that tips the scales if two candies each have exactly 2 million and my vote could give one of them 2 million and one.

My sister and brother in a red state and a blue state respectively, they may vote but neither one will count, because their states are already decided before they even leave the house. My vote therefore is worth 1/475000000 more than theirs (which are each zero).

In 2016 my state did not have a majority of the vote for any candidate. Nobody cracked 50%. Yet they sent 100% of our electors to Rump. Same thing happened in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan, that trio of states pointed to as making the difference of 70,000 votes (total). No one won any of them. Yet all three of them sent 100% of their electors to Rump.

Nobody's vote matters who lives in a so-called "red" or "blue" state has a vote. That state is already decided. A voter therein can vote red, can vote blue, can vote third party, or option D, can stay home and bake a pizza. All four actions produce exactly the same result with the exception that under option D you actually get some pizza. And those who live in so-called "swing" states, half of us will have our votes tossed in the shitcan too. Sometimes more than half.

Oh dear, I wish you wouldn't think that way. Look at the Bush election where it came down to ... what was it .... 200 votes? Less? that determined the presidency?

Oh I remember that one all too well. I reasoned that since my state was going red regardless of what I did or didn't do (one of those bullshit "locked" states where it's pointless to get out of bed), I'd vote third party and make a statement. It wasn't very satisfying. Then I had people whining that I was part of what enabled Shrub to get in, but the fact is --- I did not live in Florida, so no I wasn't. I had no power to change that outcome. I had no power to change my own state. All I could do was plunk a drop in the bucket with a protest vote, which nobody noticed.

It's ironic how all these Rumpbot yahoos parrot this lame line about "waaah, I don't want Los Angeles and New York City to pick the POTUS" yet they're perfectly fine if Florida does.

I wish the EC system were gone, but if everyone had your attitude, Pogo, it would be a disaster. The EC "votes" or whatever you call them go to the candidate with the most votes in that state. So yes, every individual's vote matters.

It's already a disaster. We have a 55% turnout rate. That by itself is a disaster. And I've articulated some of the reasons why we have that abysmal rate --- because we don't get a real election. Pretending we do is just not realistic.

In the example above every vote mattered in Florida. That was clearly not the case in Louisiana.

Since states are awarded their EC votes based on population, I still don't understand how it's more "fair" to sparsely populated states than straight majority voting would be.

It isn't. That's another one of those parrot lines they keep spewing like "mob rule". As soon as you challenge them to back it up, they can't. It's Doublethink.

USA 1016 election

Thanks in advance

Oh I remember that one all too well. I reasoned that since my state was going red regardless of what I did or didn't do (one of those bullshit "locked" states where it's pointless to get out of bed), I'd vote third party and make a statement. It wasn't very satisfying. Then I had people whining that I was part of what enabled Shrub to get in, but the fact is --- I did not live in Florida, so no I wasn't. I had no power to change that outcome. I had no power to change my own state. All I could do was plunk a drop in the bucket with a protest vote, which nobody noticed.

It's ironic how all these Rumpbot yahoos parrot this lame line about "waaah, I don't want Los Angeles and New York City to pick the POTUS" yet they're perfectly fine if Florida does.

It's already a disaster. We have a 55% turnout rate. That by itself is a disaster. And I've articulated some of the reasons why we have that abysmal rate --- because we don't get a real election. Pretending we do is just not realistic.

In the example above every vote mattered in Florida. That was clearly not the case in Louisiana.

It isn't. That's another one of those parrot lines they keep spewing like "mob rule". As soon as you challenge them to back it up, they can't. It's Doublethink.
No hope for North Carolina, huh?
Thanks for the answer on EC fairness. I thought being math challenged I might be missing something.

Both of my parents taught my siblings and I how important it is to vote. How so important it is to take part in the process.

Senators and members of the House are not put into office because of some EC vote. We the people elected every senator and members of the House; including governors.

Your VOTE does count!!!

USA 1016 election

Thanks in advance

No hope for North Carolina, huh?
Thanks for the answer on EC fairness. I thought being math challenged I might be missing something.

At that time I was living in Louisiana. Yes, NC here is way more purple, so I get a vote I didn't have in Sleaziana. We were called too close to call going in, so it mattered --- and that's another flaw of the WTA/EC.... it forces us to be dependent on polls to find out whether it's even worth going to the ballot box or not. In Sleaziana it was not, in NC it was.

As far as the math --- my state (for example) has 15 electoral votes. In 2016 Rump got 49% of the vote numbers, Clinton got 46 and others collectively got 5%. If EC votes were awarded proportionally they should have voted 8 for Rump and 7 to Clinton, or perhaps 7 Rump, 6 or 7 Clinton and 1 to Johnson. But they didn't. The state's ultimate choice was "NOTA", yet Rump got 100% of the EVs, which in effect negates the wishes of 51% of the state's voters.

Read your State laws when it come to how the Electoral College votes and educate yourself.

I wrote a thread on the Slate back in 2003 covering this subject and if you do not know how the Electoral College work, well should you be allow to vote?

I am being serious about this because the fucking ignorance on this subject is beyond amazing!

Every candidate knows they must win that State Electorate and most States Electorate vote according to the State Popular vote and only two that I can remember have some goofy rules and I believe it is Maine and Nebraska...

Now are the Electorate of every State required to vote according to their State Population vote?

No, so change the law on the State level and stop bitching about the Federal Rules!

If you want to make sure you don't have a rogue Electoral College then make sure your State requires their voters shall vote according to the STATE Popular Vote!

1pymhv.jpg

In a "winner take all" system that most states have when assigning EC votes, does your vote really count if you voted for the person that did not win the state?

Did a vote for Trump in Illinois count any more than a vote for Johnson?

In 2016 more than 2 million people went to the polls in Illinois and knew there vote would have no impact on the outcome of who would become the next president.

Did the 55,000 votes for Hillary in Wyoming really count? Was there ever a chance she would win the state, any chance at all? Of course not.

You call the systems in Maine and Nebraska goofy, when in reality they are the far better system.

Think about a state like Illinois. Under the current system the winner gets all 20 EC votes. If they did it like the other two states Trump would have gotten 8 of those, making the vote of a lot more people matter.

Or Cali where under the current system Hillary got all 55 EC votes but under a better system Trump would have gotten 14 of them, making the vote of a lot more people matter.

In Texas Hillary would have gotten 12 of the 38.

Our current system does not encourage voter turnout, just the opposite in fact.

Again, change it on your State level!

What is so fucking hard about this?

Oh, I forgot if it is not your way then the system is broken so let go with the Popular vote take all system, am I correct?

Do not lie or deny it that you hate the Electoral College system and I stated you should change it on your state level and then you gave me a lecture about how unfair it is!

Funny none of you whined about how unfair it was when Obama won in 2008 and 2012 but damn that system is now unfair and does not get people to vote!

Oh, you were never suppose to vote for the President in the first damn place, so let cut the bullshit and just admit those like you believe Hillary had the election stolen and want to ditch the Electoral College for a more unfair system that will allow States like California to dictate who will be President!

Oh, before you say that is not what you meant, yes it is you lying partisan hack!

Read your State laws when it come to how the Electoral College votes and educate yourself.

I wrote a thread on the Slate back in 2003 covering this subject and if you do not know how the Electoral College work, well should you be allow to vote?

I am being serious about this because the fucking ignorance on this subject is beyond amazing!

Every candidate knows they must win that State Electorate and most States Electorate vote according to the State Popular vote and only two that I can remember have some goofy rules and I believe it is Maine and Nebraska...

Now are the Electorate of every State required to vote according to their State Population vote?

No, so change the law on the State level and stop bitching about the Federal Rules!

If you want to make sure you don't have a rogue Electoral College then make sure your State requires their voters shall vote according to the STATE Popular Vote!

1pymhv.jpg

In a "winner take all" system that most states have when assigning EC votes, does your vote really count if you voted for the person that did not win the state?

Did a vote for Trump in Illinois count any more than a vote for Johnson?

In 2016 more than 2 million people went to the polls in Illinois and knew there vote would have no impact on the outcome of who would become the next president.

Did the 55,000 votes for Hillary in Wyoming really count? Was there ever a chance she would win the state, any chance at all? Of course not.

You call the systems in Maine and Nebraska goofy, when in reality they are the far better system.

Think about a state like Illinois. Under the current system the winner gets all 20 EC votes. If they did it like the other two states Trump would have gotten 8 of those, making the vote of a lot more people matter.

Or Cali where under the current system Hillary got all 55 EC votes but under a better system Trump would have gotten 14 of them, making the vote of a lot more people matter.

In Texas Hillary would have gotten 12 of the 38.

Our current system does not encourage voter turnout, just the opposite in fact.

Oh, I forgot if it is not your way then the system is broken so let go with the Popular vote take all system, am I correct?

No, you're not.

"Change it on your state level" completely ignores how we got to this point in the first place. You don't change "one state". All those states that caved in to the cockamamie WTA system did so because if they didn't they'd lose power to those that did. So they all caved in like a giant game of monkey-see-monkey-do, and we ended up in deep doodoo.

I already made this point but James Madison, who was a major architect in designing the EC, wanted this system banned even in his own time, as he could see where it was going -- and even though it would cost his own state of Virginia --- the big EC prize at the time --- some of the artificial power it had from using WTA.

You're awfully quick to jump to ass-sumptions about motivations when you don't even know the history of what you're talking about, aren't you.

Do not lie or deny it that you hate the Electoral College system and I stated you should change it on your state level and then you gave me a lecture about how unfair it is!

Funny none of you whined about how unfair it was when Obama won in 2008 and 2012 but damn that system is now unfair and does not get people to vote!

BULLSHIT. The EC system criticism comes up (i.e. PEAKS) every four years, whether you choose to notice it or not. That's because its inherent iniquities are highlighted then, as it's the only time the Electrical College EXISTS.

Oh, you were never suppose to vote for the President in the first damn place, so let cut the bullshit and just admit those like you believe Hillary had the election stolen and want to ditch the Electoral College for a more unfair system that will allow States like California to dictate who will be President!

Oh, before you say that is not what you meant, yes it is you lying partisan hack!

See what I mean?

If any of this drool had a valid basis we would not have had the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact already in existence long before 2016 (2012, 2008 etc) proposed and backed by bipartisan supporters. But we do, don't we. That's because the system is fucked up and needs fixing. And that's true in EVERY election as long as it remains fucked up.

are you drunk on a Sunday night? you should be ashamed of drinking on the lord's day.

I wonder if when you sober up you will come back and realize how fucking stupid this post from you was...

I do not want to get rid of the EC, nothing in any post I have made even came close to implying that.

The sitting of electors does not have to be a winner take all, we have two states that have proven that.

My system would have given Trump more EC votes you moron, it is not about who won a single election, you think too small (the result of having a tiny little brain I suppose).

This is about taking a good system and making it even better, give people more of a reason to come out to vote. We have embarrassingly low voter turn out for presidential elections, and that is because people in 2/3 of the states know their vote is meaningless if they vote for the wrong person.

I have tried to work with the state officials, but I live in Ill and there is no way in hell they will change because it would not benefit the Dems that run the place.

I am moving next year, so I can start working on that state once I move.

Now please, no more drunk posting...sleep it off and come back in the morning

USA 1016 election

So folks, it matters not how you vote but if you don’t vote you have no say in the matter.

Thanks in advance

Why do you deny REALITY?

The EC was in place for 2016 and will be for 2020!

You're welcome, in retrospect, idiot!

USA 1016 election

Thanks in advance

EC votes are given based on the number of Congressmen and Senators you have.

A state like Wyoming has two senators and a congressman for only 600,000 population. 3 EVs for 600,000 people

USA 1016 election

So folks, it matters not how you vote but if you don’t vote you have no say in the matter.

Thanks in advance

All those hours of education wasted. Overall popular vote is simply a distraction for the imbeciles. The EC and election process are not a secret trotted out to simply to deny the best wishes of the stupid. Had the anointed bitch queen bothered to campaign in a couple of rust belt states instead of Hollywood and Manhattan she might have secured victory instead of the oft touted participation trophy.

Last edited:
Voting always matters. It's the Electoral College that sometimes messes things up. It should be abolished.

Do you know how the voters of the Electoral College are chosen?

Do you know when those votes are actually counted and the President is officially elected?

Funny. The popular vote doesn't elect the president. Otherwise, Hillary Clinton would be president.

No, the Electoral College elects the President.

In each state, each Presidential candidate who is on the ballot gives the state a list of his/her electors for that state. You know the list of candidates can be different in every state?

The list of people the candidates files will only go to the state capitol in December if the candidate wins that state. The candidate hopes the electors he/she has chosen will be loyal, but their is no requirement. When the electors arrive at the state capitol they are given two ballots. One with the names of all the candidates who ran for president in their state and one with the names of the candidates who ran for vice president in their state.

The electors fill out their ballots, they are collected, put in an envelope, and sent to the President of the Senate in Washington.
The envelopes are not opened until Congress meets in January when the President of the Senate opens the envelopes in front of the fully assembled Congress and tallies the votes.

Why isn't Hillary Clinton president? She received almost 3 million more votes than Trump.
Doesn’t matter dumbass. You’ve been schooled repeatedly on this since Nov. 2016. Those 3 million extra votes in California simply nailed down the EC votes from that state.

USA 1016 election

Thanks in advance

Tissue? You realize Trump won the popular vote in 49 of 50 states. Clinton won California by 4 million more votes, Trump whooped her ass in the other 49 states by 1 million popular votes.

Forum List

Back