Does Your Name Affect Your Chances in Life?

Interesting BBC piece @ BBC News - Does a baby's name affect its chances in life?

My personal thought is that on YOU affect your chances in life. You and you alone. Anything else is self-pity and seeking a crutch. :eusa_whistle:

I've seen this theory before and I get what they're saying. The strong names like John, Matthew, Andrew, etc. kind of give you a different vibe or aire, swagger even. I'm not saying it's the be all and end all but it can make a difference in how you approach life.

Interesting BBC piece @ BBC News - Does a baby's name affect its chances in life?

My personal thought is that on YOU affect your chances in life. You and you alone. Anything else is self-pity and seeking a crutch. :eusa_whistle:

Right. It is with few exceptions, your attitude, that will determine your chances in life.

Exactly. Look at Englebert Humperdink.

C'mon. You and I both know that wasn't his REAL name!!! :eusa_whistle:

I think there is some truth to this claim. But I also think what most has to do in life is character and behavior. If someone has a name like Poindexter, it could hamper, or it could help, depending on your attitude, character and behavior. Lots of men have names such as David, John, Joseph, and it hasn't helped them, or appears not to. So, it's really about who you are as a person, not your name. But, in some cases, where the name is old fashioned or odd, a person might have to overcome it to do well.

Right. It is with few exceptions, your attitude, that will determine your chances in life.

Real name "Arnold George Dorsey" "in the mid-1960s Dorsey returned to his musical career, adopting the stage name "Engelbert Humperdinck" after the German 19th-century composer of operas".

Engelbert Humperdinck

My real name is Joe BaFukinGueetz. It did not get me far at all. That is the Americanized version.

Real name "Arnold George Dorsey" "in the mid-1960s Dorsey returned to his musical career, adopting the stage name "Engelbert Humperdinck" after the German 19th-century composer of operas".

Engelbert Humperdinck

And the original Humperdinck, the one who wrote the loudest Opera of all time, came from Siegburg, about 25 minutes away from my place. I've even walked through the woods where he would sit and compose.

And Humperdinck also wrote short stories, one was about a cell phone - in the 19th century. I may just start a thread on that one.... :D

Then there was the Truman family approach.

They quickly agreed on first name Harold (Harry, for short).

But they were split over Samuel, Stanley, Steven or Stephen for the middle name. Apparently they had at least one of each back up the family tree. In the end they satisfied everyone with the middle name "S". Note, no period after the "S".

Doubt it? Try your favorite search engine. I ain't gonna do it for you.

Kindergarten teachers in the 1980s started to notice the arrival of new students who were given names like Moon Child and Flower Desert by their ex-hippie parents of the 1960s. One day a small boy showed up on the first day with 'Fruit Stand' written by his mother on his first-day name tag. Shrugging her shoulders, all day long the teacher was offering guidance and instruction: "Fruit Stand, get in line," and "Take out your colors, Fruit Stand." Fruit Stand gave her a couple peculiar glances, but went along with the business of school.

Now at the end of the day the kids were lining up to get on the bus. Except Fruit Stand appeared to be confused. "What's wrong?" the teacher asked him. "I don't know where to get off the bus," he told her. "Oh, that's okay," she said, "Your mom will have wrote your bus stop on the back of your name tag."

Thereupon turning it over she read the word ... "Richard."

22 years ago, when I was a school teacher, at the beginning of the school year, two new students arrived, identical twins.

So, I am reading the names from the attendance list and come across:

Johnson*, Lemongelo
Johnson*, Orangelo

*Last name changed, just to be safe, here.

They pronounced the "g" just like "j" in "jello".

Totally bluffed, I asked what that was all about. Said the one young boy to me: "when our mom had us, she got so sick, she had to stay in the hospital all week and all she could eat was jellow and the only two kinds she liked were lemon and orange. And that's our names".

True story.

Dear Lord, I wonder what they are doing today.

Forum List

Back