Does the military create conservatives?

bornright

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Texas
With the military personnel and ex-military voting in such large percentages as conservatives is it something that is created by training or experiences that causes this outlook on life? I personally think it is both in training where you are taught honor, responsibility, discipline, and how to push yourself both physically and mentally. In many cases it is also the experiences you recieve from other countries where we are stationed or where we do battle. We see how these views from the left turn out as there are so many failing countries in the world today with their type of government.

I think you are correct on both counts. I also believe that military personnel have a much closer connection to the cost of maintaining the freedoms we enjoy. Particularly those in combat zones. They cannot ignore how expensive it is to be able to have all the things too many of us at home take for granted. My thoughts and best wishes go out to all those men and women who put their lives on the line for the rest of us.

I was conservative before I entered and served 22 years in the Military. Conservative or liberal is not something the military teaches you. It's just that more conservatives serve because of the way they feel about the military and the country. They would rather give of themselves than to take from someone else.....

Liberals are pretty much the exact opposite.....

I was conservative before I entered and served 22 years in the Military. Conservative or liberal is not something the military teaches you. It's just that more conservatives serve because of the way they feel about the military and the country. They would rather give of themselves than to take from someone else.....

I agree that conservatives are more likely to join the military. When I was in we had the draft. I personally joined but there were many that were drafted and there is a very high percentage of these vets conservative so I do feel it has to do with their military service.

Total poppycock..

If you want to go down that road I'll generalise too. I would say a lot of people who join the military are gung ho, don't have many other options and are not the brightest...

Total poppycock..

If you want to go down that road I'll generalise too. I would say a lot of people who join the military are gung ho, don't have many other options and are not the brightest...

Too bad that too many fail to recognize that many who join do have other options. I hold three degrees but never considered military service beneath me. As a matter of fact, I think compulsory service would be a major improvement for many youngsters.

Total poppycock..

I realize many of your kind feel that.

Total poppycock..

What is my kind?

Total poppycock..

What is my kind?

a reciever rather than a giver.....an individual that strives to be average.....a 5 %er that thinks he is a 99%er......a liberal democrat

i was conservative before i entered and served 22 years in the military. Conservative or liberal is not something the military teaches you. It's just that more conservatives serve because of the way they feel about the military and the country. They would rather give of themselves than to take from someone else.....

lsos

Total poppycock..

And a quick check of the demographics would prove you wrong....

Total poppycock..

Too bad that too many fail to recognize that many who join do have other options. I hold three degrees but never considered military service beneath me. As a matter of fact, I think compulsory service would be a major improvement for many youngsters.

Were those degrees pre military, during military, or post military..

I know another poster on another board who was a sergeant in the army, and he said by the time he finished he had a degree (can't remember in what)

I concur with compulsory military - especially those teenagers who have no drive or ambition...

Total poppycock..

And a quick check of the demographics would prove you wrong....

Wel, if you have 'em, post 'em....

Forum List

Back