Does the first amendment allow someone to display an ISIS flag?

What if you watch your neighbors fly Islamic State flags on their homes, apartment windows or display them on their cars, aren't they protected by their US Constitutional First amendment to freedom of speech?

Could they be arrested even though they have their rights?
And I have the right to call them assholes
just be careful and keep your gun loaded
It's right here
:thup:
Coz as much as i love the 1st, I love the 2nd too :D

What if you watch your neighbors fly Islamic State flags on their homes, apartment windows or display them on their cars, aren't they protected by their US Constitutional First amendment to freedom of speech?

I think this flag has no evil elements in it, but people's prejudices can lead to dire consequences.

They do have the right to do so. It would be in very poor taste (to put it mildly), and I wouldn't approve of it...BUT they do have the right to do so. Somebody has the right to fly a Nazi flag-even though that's also terrible and disgusting.

I think this flag has no evil elements in it, but people's prejudices can lead to dire consequences.

Yes, I agree with you. The government uses its brainwashing propaganda machine to make us believe that we have to fight against it. They don't care about consequences. As always.

Yes, I agree with you. The government uses its brainwashing propaganda machine to make us believe that we have to fight against it. They don't care about consequences. As always.

The flag has no evil elements. No flag does. They're just pieces of cloth. The people the flag symbolizes, however, seem to have little else BUT evil elements, which is the point you are so assiduously and ludicrously trying to dodge.

The old screaming "fire!" in a packed theater dilemma. I think the Founding Fathers should have broken the First Amendment into two categories: common sense free speech, and really fucking stupid free speech.

Tom Sweetnam

What constitutes "common sense"?

To whom is it common sense?

Who gets to decide that?

No. The First Amendment is important to us because its absolute and non-negotiable.
It is NOT absolute.

One cannot shout fire in a theatre, absent a fire, or, post that one would like to kill the President.

I can see a flag representing the country someones from...but not a flag that represents a known terrorist group.
( although at one time the confederate flag was considered a terrorist flag of the south)
The Confederate States of America and the Islamic State are both examples of a large segment of the population breaking off from established nations to carve out territory for a new state.

It's a mistake to view the Islamic State as simply a terrorist group. It's soldiers use terrorist tactics, but Islamic State is the latest manifestation on a pan-national movement that has a long history. Re-establishing the caliphate and sharia-based theocracy has been the Islamists' agenda for decades. The Islamic State is an indication that ideology continues to gain momentum.
I have no problem with their goal of a Caliphate; I have a tremendous problem with their method of gaining a Caliphate.

The Bill of Rights do not "allow" anything. They are curbs on the power of the government. In this case the government is prevented from dragging you out of your house and arresting you for displaying a colored rag by the 1st Amendment right to free speech.

The Bill of Rights do not "allow" anything. They are curbs on the power of the government. In this case the government is prevented from dragging you out of your house and arresting you for displaying a colored rag by the 1st Amendment right to free speech.
Is it colored?
isis-flag.jpg

I for one prefer the cockroaches out in the open and for obvious reasons. Absolutely let 'em fly that flag.

I for one prefer the cockroaches out in the open and for obvious reasons. Absolutely let 'em fly that flag.

I wish they could open recruiting stations, since we are not allowed to shoot terrorsymps here, we should pay their way to where we can have them shot.

Forum List

Back