Does Stand Your Ground apply to everybody?

Yes, it is but closing threads doesn't make the issue go away. This portends to legalizing murder, no matter how unpleasant that is to your sensibilities.

The talking points have been heard by both sides and so now closing the thread makes no difference at all.
Thank you. This issue is worth debating.

The STAND YOUR GROUND law was created for scary, wanna be tough Whites to kill Black people. All they have to say is "I thought they were going to hurt me". Think: George Zimmerman. He killed Treyvon Martin and got away with it. His lawyers used the STAND YOUR GROUND defense.
Yeah.

Because Trayvon attacked him. Fuck him, he played stupid games and won himself a stupid prize.

People are allowed to defend themselves. And Zimmerman is Latino / Hispanic. But whatever, keep showing your ignorance.

Yes, it is but closing threads doesn't make the issue go away. This portends to legalizing murder, no matter how unpleasant that is to your sensibilities.

The talking points have been heard by both sides and so now closing the thread makes no difference at all.
Then start a thread on that: is stand your ground a way to legalize murder?

The OP tried to stir up more racist division on an issue unrelated to race (I was listening to Sharpton on Tyree’s funeral, but it sounded like a civil rights speech from 1962 and I turned it off), and on that basis it should be closed.

Kenneth Walker was not charged over standing his ground. Now many thought that the wrong decision.

Any further comments consisting of driveby insults of the OP and/or her family will result in a thread ban. If you aren't going to discuss the topic then move onto to another
Pointing out that the OP started a race-baiting thread insulting her? She opened with the ridiculous idea that blacks are excluded from defending themselves according to the SYG law.

Does it? My neice says "No", because the STAND YOUR GROUND law doesn't apply to Black men. She says Black men are not allowed to proYour
Stand Your Ground laws are about people defending themselves from criminals no matter what their race is.
There are no racial clauses in those laws.
To help your Niece to keep things in prospective she should look into interracial crime statistics if she is worried about "Black Men" being persecuted.

Last edited:
Stand Your Ground laws are about people defending themselves from criminals no matter what their race is.
There are no racial clauses in those laws.
To help your Niece to keep things in prospective she should look into interracial crime statistics if she is worried "Black Men" being persecuted.
There are no racial clauses in lots of things. But, that doesn't mean race doesn't play a part in our daily lives. You know that as well as I do.

There are no racial clauses in lots of things. But, that doesn't mean race doesn't play a part in our daily lives. You know that as well as I do.

The only time race plays a part is when individual racists have the chance to hurt those they don't like. No law protects racism. Anyone who claims that is ignorant, or a liar.

For informational purposes:

“Stand your ground” is often used incorrectly.

Properly understood, all it means is better expressed as a right to self defense. This is the law of “justification.” It can vary by State.

For example, in my former State, if you were not the person who started the physical confrontation (ie, if you were not the initial aggressor), you had a right to use only as much physical force as was reasonably necessary — under the circumstances — to defend yourself from an attack.

You could only use deadly physical force if you were being threatened in a way that posed a serious risk of serious physical injury or death (and again, your fear of such threat had to be reasonable)

Also, and if significance, you only had the right to resort to physical force at all if you were not able to “retreat in complete safety.” That meant that if you could run away, safely, then your right to use self defense wouldn’t exist. BUT,

Nobody was required to retreat (even if you could do so in complete safety) if the attack was taking place in your own home.
This portion of the law of justification is basically akin to what other States deem “stand your ground.”

Black people are as entitled to that defense (under those conditions) just as is any people of any other race or races.

The specific provisions of these laws in other States may differ in those other States.

Pointing out that the OP started a race-baiting thread insulting her? She opened with the ridiculous idea that blacks are excluded from defending themselves according to the SYG law.
This is an issue that Black folks in the USA are well aware of. I'm sorry if you think me bringing it up is race baiting. Blacks are treated differently in our legal system. Until this disparity is acknowledged and changed, we will continue to have problems.

Off to IGNORE land you go. When posters start using profanity and calling names, that means they have lost the debate already. BYE. :bye1:

Forum List

Back