Does pork create and or save jobs?

As an employer, at the end of the month I show every employee here a shortened monthly statement. It is without fail that each time a new person is hired they are startled in disbelief at how much money the company pays in taxes/employee payroll taxes/employee benefits etc. They never knew how much money it takes to operate a business...and indeed the "evil company" torch carriers haven't the slightest idea - they all believe that companies and company administrators have bags of money stashed all over the place.
No one ever considers replacement costs, taxes, building repairs, mechanical repairs, product development, business losses - for every $million dollar sale item - a company will have dozens of items that lost money or only made slight margins for variety of reasons. Then you have business insurance, liability insurance, fleet insurance, disability insurance, workers comp insurance, unemployment state contributions...I am just getting warmed up.
Being a business is extraordinarily expensive, especially in America.
And yet it is still extremely profitable and the tax breaks are awesome.

Allow me to shed a tear for you and your poor little me act.

images

Poor little me?
I wasn't aware anyone wanted to be felt sorry for.
"Extremely profitable" you say? Yeah. You are among the clueless when it comes to business that is for sure.
Here's a nickel kid...go buy yourself some gum.
Obviously, you want your "employees" to feel sorry for you.

It's expensive being human.... I have to buy health insurance for me, health insurance for Matt, life insurance for me, life insurance for matt, Dental insurance for me, and dental insurance for matt, and insurance on our cars, and pay property tax year after year after year after year on our home, and pay state income taxes and sales taxes in the state, and gas taxes from both the State and Federal gvt, and pay for a driver's license, and hunting license, and pay my electric bill and oil bill, and food bill, and clothing bills....and social security tax and medicare tax and federal income tax...........bwhaaaaaaaaa!

It's just so tough..............!

Pork at the federal level is theoretically able to increase industry through the multiplier effect. As Oddball pointed out, at the local level money for projects has to be taken first before it can be spent, and the damage done by stupid taxes and stupid spending gets taken from the multiplier before it gets added back in. So the net is a substantial loss.

Even at the federal level, the damage done through higher taxes, inflation, and the fact that people adjust spending in response to rational expectations is greater than the benefits received.

And one man's pork is another man's vital infrastructure. Reworking the I-5 217 interchange in Washington County would have been considered pork by everyone who did not have to use that area on a regular basis, but when they got done with that project it probably reduced pollution and travel time substantially.

Economic history shows that the multiplier effect of pork is sub 1.0.

It's expensive being human.... I have to buy health insurance for me, health insurance for Matt, life insurance for me, life insurance for matt, Dental insurance for me, and dental insurance for matt, and insurance on our cars, and pay property tax year after year after year after year on our home, and pay state income taxes and sales taxes in the state, and gas taxes from both the State and Federal gvt, and pay for a driver's license, and hunting license, and pay my electric bill and oil bill, and food bill, and clothing bills....and social security tax and medicare tax and federal income tax...........bwhaaaaaaaaa!

Don't forget Coffee and Chocolate....AND SHOES!!!!!!

Our current GDP growth rate of 2%, and the fact that the private sector economy is not generating enough jobs to keep up with population growth.

Only in the short term...and usually in a really ineffective and inefficient way.
Government (in America) can only create long term employment through expanding the government...which in most cases is also horribly ineffective, chock filled with waste and fraud.
Anytime the government tries to create artificial demand or uses it's influence or tax dollars you get a truly messed up result, usually making the situation it was supposed to "fix"...worse.
The housing bubble being the largest example.
And one that is happening right now, the FED desperately trying to stave off a market crash by outright giving businesses tax payer dollars, monetizing debt etc. etc. This will only increase the depth and width of the inevitable abyss.

perhaps this is true merely because the liquidity being introduced is being used to fuel speculation rather than productivity.

Much of the liquidity being introduced is used by Big Banks to buy Treasuries.

It's a racket.

I would think employees would be a bit more motivated if they understand what is going on in the business better. Most workers have a pretty good idea of raw materials cost, they know their net wages, but they have no idea about the overheads. I think it would be cool to get a better understanding.

for example, a restaurant worker can see that eggs cost 20 cents a piece, a potato is a nickel, two slices of bread cost 15 cents, but the place sells a breakfast for $4. The worker is getting only $8 per hour, and he is doing 15 breakfasts an hour. If he isn't clued in on the costs, he feels shafted.

Don't forget Coffee and Chocolate....AND SHOES!!!!!!
hahahahahahahahaha!
OH CRAP! Missed those goodies big time! Plus my internet connection and phone bill!

It is obvious the answer is yes, but only in the short term. If the country needs long term jobs AND careers, it is up to free enterprise to produce. It is a shame the government prevents such enterprises from hiring.
The answer isn't even yes in the short term.

Every dollar that gubmint spends to "create jobs" --whether through taxation or inflation-- is expropriated from somewhere else in the economy, which could itself be put into productive use.

There's still no such thing as free lunch.

Not if the money is borrowed. Then there is no "expropriation"

Major fail

It is obvious the answer is yes, but only in the short term. If the country needs long term jobs AND careers, it is up to free enterprise to produce. It is a shame the government prevents such enterprises from hiring.

Every dollar that gubmint spends to "create jobs" --whether through taxation or inflation-- is expropriated from somewhere else in the economy, which could itself be put into productive use.

could be but won't be. Almost all of what we call investing anymore is merely inflating non productive bubbles and chasing after sovereign debt.

The US spends hardly anything on productivity within anymore. If that money did find it's way into productive ventures they would be in developing nations.

Not if the money is borrowed. Then there is no "expropriation"

Major fail
If it is borrowed, it has to be paid back with interest.

It still has to be taken from somewhere.

Demand-side economics is no less voodoo than supply-side.

And there's no more objectively quantifiable evidence to prove it works...Which is to say there's ZERO.

exactly, both are zero sum as in both cases all of the money stays in circulation. But where does it circulate? Here or abroad?

On the other hand when deficits are spent and when fractional reserve lending occurs a real and measurable stimulus does occur. Esp providing that you never repay that debt or repay it with weakened currency.

As an employer, at the end of the month I show every employee here a shortened monthly statement. It is without fail that each time a new person is hired they are startled in disbelief at how much money the company pays in taxes/employee payroll taxes/employee benefits etc. They never knew how much money it takes to operate a business...and indeed the "evil company" torch carriers haven't the slightest idea - they all believe that companies and company administrators have bags of money stashed all over the place.
No one ever considers replacement costs, taxes, building repairs, mechanical repairs, product development, business losses - for every $million dollar sale item - a company will have dozens of items that lost money or only made slight margins for variety of reasons. Then you have business insurance, liability insurance, fleet insurance, disability insurance, workers comp insurance, unemployment state contributions...I am just getting warmed up.

If you're too incompetent to run a business and make money, the way millions of americans manage to do, then get out. For all of your whining and hating on america, the US offers the worlds best environment for business, as proven by our performance over many decades. If you don't like being required to pay for any damages you might cause (the purpose of insurance) then run your business from a lawless nation like Nigeria.

Last edited:
to the tune of 250,000 million(s) (250 billion) a year at this point in interest payments on our 13 trillion debt.

And yet it is still extremely profitable and the tax breaks are awesome.

Allow me to shed a tear for you and your poor little me act.

images

Poor little me?
I wasn't aware anyone wanted to be felt sorry for.
"Extremely profitable" you say? Yeah. You are among the clueless when it comes to business that is for sure.
Here's a nickel kid...go buy yourself some gum.

Yes, poor little you, you little pissant.

You whine about how expensive it is to do business in america, and then pretend that you weren't complaining? You are incapable of sincerity.

And then, after denying that you weren't "crying poverty", you whine because you're too incompetent to be "extremely profitable", as if riches were an entitlement for wingnuts.

Forum List

Back