"Does it Still Matter?" (Our Constitution)

The Constitution mattered today, for example:
Holding: California’s ban on the sale or rental of violent video games to minors is unconstitutional. The Court held that the law imposes a restriction on the content of protected speech and cannot satisfy strict scrutiny.

Judgment: Affirmed, 7-2, in an opinion by Justice Antonin Scalia on June 27, 2011. Justice Alito filed an opinion concurring in the judgment, which was joined by the Chief Justice Roberts. Justices Thomas and Breyer filed dissenting opinions.

Brown v. Entertainment Merchants Association : SCOTUSblog

From Article I

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

It says nothing about how long the army can exist, but you cannot fund it for more than two years without congress re-approving it.

You leave out several clauses.

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

First there is no such restriction on the navy.
Second, the army was meant to be drawn out of the state's militias.

Which means that the navy was meant to be permanent..the army was meant to be "as needed". And the fact that it was drawn out of state militias indicates that it was meant to be citizen based and de-centralized.

What part of those clauses forbids the keeping of a permanent federal army? The only restriction is it has to be funded every two years instead of a blanket "fund it forvever" provision.

At best the two clauses regarding miltias allows for the federal goverment to take control of them, just as the national guard can be federalized.

Nothing.

Which is funny..because somehow you guys seem to think there are restrictions on General Welfare and Commerce clauses.:lol:

In the 10th annual history issue of Time is an article well worth reading.

It opens with this comment:

"One Document, Under Siege. Here are a few things the framers did not know about: WW II. DNA. Sexting. Airplanes. The Atom. Television. Medicare. Collateralized debt obligations. The germ theory of disease. Miniskirts. The internal combustion machine. Computers. Antibiotics. Lady Gaga.

"People on the right and left constantly ask what the framers would say about some event that is happening today. What would the framers say about whether the ..."

If you have an opinon on raising the debt ceiling, the 14th Amendment, the War Powers Resolution or any of a number of current issues, this article will either reinforce or weaken your opinion.

Yes it matters now more than ever.

Just look at how bad shit has gotten since we have let the federal govt overstep its constitutionally limited authority.

The problem with America is that the Constitution isn't followed all that closely any more. If it was, there would be fewer troubles.

Do you have an example? I wonder, do you have any interest in reading the article?

if the constitution was followed we wouldn't be at war in libya.

if the constitution was followed we wouldn't have the patriot act

if the constitution was followed we wouldn't have medicare part D

if the constitution was followed we wouldn't have a massive national debt due to federal entitlement programs.

there are 4.

I read your article.

Its just another piece of leftist porpoganda intent on making the constitution a rubber band to wrap up a bunch of federal laws to control society with a huge big brother federal govt.

The constitituion is not flexible unless you amend it.

I think its ambiguity is its genius.

Last edited:
You leave out several clauses.

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

First there is no such restriction on the navy.
Second, the army was meant to be drawn out of the state's militias.

Which means that the navy was meant to be permanent..the army was meant to be "as needed". And the fact that it was drawn out of state militias indicates that it was meant to be citizen based and de-centralized.

What part of those clauses forbids the keeping of a permanent federal army? The only restriction is it has to be funded every two years instead of a blanket "fund it forvever" provision.

At best the two clauses regarding miltias allows for the federal goverment to take control of them, just as the national guard can be federalized.

Nothing.

Which is funny..because somehow you guys seem to think there are restrictions on General Welfare and Commerce clauses.:lol:

Its not that there are restrictions, its that the clauses are vague enough to warrant restraint in thier use. Too many times they are used as means to increase the size of government, as opposed to the original intent of the consitution, which is to limit the means government can use.

We have a large standing army under federal control.

Yeah, but we haven't had "times of peace" since Reagan.

Which is probably the result of a large standing army under federal control.

Do you really think that the US disbanding its army would lead to world peace? You have to remember the barrier created by oceans is not what it was in the time of the founders. The US fought having a large standing army for years. Only upon the cold war did it decide it was a nessesary requirement for a modern state.

I read your article.

Its just another piece of leftist porpoganda intent on making the constitution a rubber band to wrap up a bunch of federal laws to control society with a huge big brother federal govt.

You been standing out in the penumbra too long. There's NOTHING ambiguous about it. It's a broken contract between a formerly free people and a weak central government. The Progressive Jihad on it has successfully nullified it. The fault is ours, not the documents

I read your article.

You been standing out in the penumbra too long. There's NOTHING ambiguous about it. It's a broken contract between a formerly free people and a weak central government. The Progressive Jihad on it has successfully nullified it. The fault is ours, not the documents

Damn Frank, you are as dumb as a box of hammers. Nearly every post thus far suggests your wrong; interpretatons and opinions very among Constitutional scholars and even idiots such as yourself.

And idiot, no where in any post did I blame the document. I said, fool, that its abiguity was its genius. Of course a moron such as yourself wouldn't understand and not because you're willfully ignorant, you're too stupid to read, absorb and learn.

Damn Frank, you are as dumb as a box of hammers. Nearly every post thus far suggests your wrong; interpretatons and opinions very among Constitutional scholars and even idiots such as yourself.

And idiot, no where in any post did I blame the document. I said, fool, that its abiguity was its genius. Of course a moron such as yourself wouldn't understand and not because you're willfully ignorant, you're too stupid to read, absorb and learn.

There's no ambiguity in it at all, your flaccid insults notwithstanding.

Progressives have successfully nullified it through the Courts.

Insult? They're descriptions, the only insult was to the box of hammers, fool.

Insult? They're descriptions, the only insult was to the box of hammers, fool.

Yawn.

I'd trade barbs with you, but I'd need a signed waiver first. I don't want your legal guardians suing me later for the emotional damage they'll claim I inflicted on you.

The Constitution was a contract between a formerly free people and a weak central government. If the Framers would see how we've corrupted it they probably would have stayed a British colony -- we have more fundamental freedoms.

The problem with America is that the Constitution isn't followed all that closely any more. If it was, there would be fewer troubles.

Do you have an example? I wonder, do you have any interest in reading the article?

if the constitution was followed we wouldn't be at war in libya.

if the constitution was followed we wouldn't have the patriot act

if the constitution was followed we wouldn't have medicare part D

if the constitution was followed we wouldn't have a massive national debt due to federal entitlement programs.

there are 4.

Hi Wry :D

One resource on an issue of controversy is linked below. The issue, the 2nd Amendment.

Constitutional Topic: The Second Amendment - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Cambodia citizens with no Second Amendment rights, 1975-1979

368416984_fb34cbd787.jpg

Forum List

Back