Does anybody have a theory as to

Hi eots, you hunk, you.

OBL is a few bricks shy of a hod and there has to be money involved.......there always is.

I agree with most of what people have said:

America's ME policy
Supporting dictators
US sanctions against Iraq
Unconditional support of Israel

The other thing I think caused it is that they hate our way of life. They think we are self-indulgent and pampered. They think we have no morals, women have too many rights, our religious views are different from theirs, and I think they just plain hate our guts!!!

I think of them like an earthquake. I just hate it!! But it's going to happen again and I think there will be another attack. I just don't know when. But I am dreading both things.

I truly think that there is no way to stop them if they really want to do it again.

why 9-11 happened? This is partially a rhetorical question because I have my own theory, but am interested in others.

Note: Mods, if those conspiracy theorists rock along to this thread can you give them the boot? I think they have enough threads to talk about their blather...:eusa_angel:

I'll start off by saying that I'm not a Truther. I fully believe that September 11th was masterminded by KSM and OBL.

I do, on the other hand, believe there was a catastrophic information failure on the part of the US intelligence community. But as to the root reasons why - there are many.

This is less a list of why we were attacked, and more a list of the justifications that Al Qaeda used to make the attacks acceptable to their followers.

1. Israel. Without getting into the history of the Arab-Israeli conflict, it has become the equivalent of what "Communism" was to the US in the 50s. Just like the boogeyman of Communism was used to justify going to war all around the globe, the US support of Israel is a factor in why we were attacked.

2. General Meddling. Aside from Israel, it should surprise no one that a whole lot of people around the world don't believe that we know what's best for the world. Therefore, when we go around the globe meddling in elections, governments, and arms deals, we make enemies. It's a fact.
Yeah! Blame America!

Having a reading comprehension problem?

America's ME policy
Supporting dictators

The other thing I think caused it is that they hate our way of life. They think we are self-indulgent and pampered. They think we have no morals, women have too many rights, our religious views are different from theirs, and I think they just plain hate our guts!!!

I think of them like an earthquake. I just hate it!! But it's going to happen again and I think there will be another attack. I just don't know when. But I am dreading both things.

I truly think that there is no way to stop them if they really want to do it again.

That was the reason Bush gave. I disagree. I ask myself this: If the US had no presence in Saudi Arabia, didn't support the sanctions against Iraq, and didn't arm Israel, do I think 9-11 would have happened? I doubt it....

A bunch of rich knuckleheads were used as pawns to attack symbolic targets to make an incomprehensible point by a madman to achieve an evil goal in an operation that backfired badly.

Israel was nothing more than part of the madman's psychosis. The goal is currently unreachable.

All of the above, this pretty much sums it up.

'The most credible explanations'

"None of the following explanations is alone sufficient to explain the attacks, but together they do help us to understand 9/11. They are ranked in ascending order of importance.

10. Radicalisation caused by the Afghan jihad.
9. A particular reading of Islamic texts.
8. Decline and stagnation in the middle east and the “humiliation” of the Islamic world.
7. The spread of communications technology.
5. The alienation of Muslim immigrants in the west.
4. US foreign policies in the middle east, in particular its support of Israel.
3. Bin Laden is an astute tactical leader and rational political actor fighting a deeply felt religious war against the west.
2. 9/11 was the collateral damage of a clash within Islam.
1. The 9/11 attacks were the fruit of Bin Laden’s flawed strategic reasoning."

Read details here. What were the causes of 9/11? Prospect Magazine

America's ME policy
Supporting dictators

That was the reason Bush gave. I disagree. I ask myself this: If the US had no presence in Saudi Arabia, didn't support the sanctions against Iraq, and didn't arm Israel, do I think 9-11 would have happened? I doubt it....

Well, that's the thing Dr. I guess we'll never know. But maybe it's a combo of some of all of our thoughts. I'm sure it isn't any one thing. Except I don't think any American plotted to do it, like some of the Bush haters tried to say. I didn't like him either, but that was a bit much. Kind of silly.

OBL NEVER mentioned Israel until later on. It wasn't one of his issues... facile as that may be to believe.

It might not have been his issue, but it might have been the reasons for the 19 hijackers...

...I'm still not utterly convinced he had that much to do with it....I think he knew about it, but the actually planning and execution? Dunno...

OBL NEVER mentioned Israel until later on. It wasn't one of his issues... facile as that may be to believe.

It might not have been his issue, but it might have been the reasons for the 19 hijackers...

...I'm still not utterly convinced he had that much to do with it....I think he knew about it, but the actually planning and execution? Dunno...

I don't think he's ever been credited as the "planner".

I don't think he's ever been credited as the "planner".

He wasn't upset about it either....

...and I wonder if anybody cares for the 'why'...

i think we've been discussing the why.

ultimately, its' because it suited his purposes.... a big, flashy, devestating show of power,

...and a thirst for revenge I reckon...

eh... old story in the mid-east. but as with many of these types of things, it almost appears to be a rebellion against his own family. their interests were intertwined with those of the U.S. He had family here at the time. He HATED the connection between the Saudis and U.S. and thought our presence desecrated his holy land.

and on the upside, he made himself a legend to like-minded people...

eh... old story in the mid-east. but as with many of these types of things, it almost appears to be a rebellion against his own family. their interests were intertwined with those of the U.S. He had family here at the time. He HATED the connection between the Saudis and U.S. and thought our presence desecrated his holy land.

and on the upside, he made himself a legend to like-minded people...

He had little to do with his family...

And I know about his hatred of US troops on Saudi soil...

His legend grew during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan..

Forum List

Back