Does anybody have a theory as to

Dr Grump

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2006
From the Back of Beyond
why 9-11 happened? This is partially a rhetorical question because I have my own theory, but am interested in others.

Note: Mods, if those conspiracy theorists rock along to this thread can you give them the boot? I think they have enough threads to talk about their blather...:eusa_angel:

why 9-11 happened? This is partially a rhetorical question because I have my own theory, but am interested in others.

Note: Mods, if those conspiracy theorists rock along to this thread can you give them the boot? I think they have enough threads to talk about their blather...:eusa_angel:

I'll start off by saying that I'm not a Truther. I fully believe that September 11th was masterminded by KSM and OBL.

I do, on the other hand, believe there was a catastrophic information failure on the part of the US intelligence community. But as to the root reasons why - there are many.

This is less a list of why we were attacked, and more a list of the justifications that Al Qaeda used to make the attacks acceptable to their followers.

1. Israel. Without getting into the history of the Arab-Israeli conflict, it has become the equivalent of what "Communism" was to the US in the 50s. Just like the boogeyman of Communism was used to justify going to war all around the globe, the US support of Israel is a factor in why we were attacked.

2. General Meddling. Aside from Israel, it should surprise no one that a whole lot of people around the world don't believe that we know what's best for the world. Therefore, when we go around the globe meddling in elections, governments, and arms deals, we make enemies. It's a fact.

3. Theology. In the same sense that Christianity was used to justify the Crusades, Islam is their justification. If God says so, we should do it.

I'm of the mind to take bin Laden at his word:

Transcript of Osama bin Laden - Worldpress.org

...So I shall talk to you about the story behind those events and shall tell you truthfully about the moments in which the decision was taken, for you to consider.

I say to you, Allah knows that it had never occurred to us to strike the towers. But after it became unbearable and we witnessed the oppression and tyranny of the American/Israeli coalition against our people in Palestine and Lebanon, it came to my mind.

The events that affected my soul in a direct way started in 1982 when America permitted the Israelis to invade Lebanon and the American Sixth Fleet helped them in that. This bombardment began and many were killed and injured and others were terrorised and displaced.
I couldn't forget those moving scenes, blood and severed limbs, women and children sprawled everywhere. Houses destroyed along with their occupants and high rises demolished over their residents, rockets raining down on our home without mercy.

The situation was like a crocodile meeting a helpless child, powerless except for his screams. Does the crocodile understand a conversation that doesn't include a weapon? And the whole world saw and heard but it didn't respond.
In those difficult moments many hard-to-describe ideas bubbled in my soul, but in the end they produced an intense feeling of rejection of tyranny, and gave birth to a strong resolve to punish the oppressors.
And as I looked at those demolished towers in Lebanon, it entered my mind that we should punish the oppressor in kind and that we should destroy towers in America in order that they taste some of what we tasted and so that they be deterred from killing our women and children.
And that day, it was confirmed to me that oppression and the intentional killing of innocent women and children is a deliberate American policy. Destruction is freedom and democracy, while resistance is terrorism and intolerance.

This means the oppressing and embargoing to death of millions as Bush Sr did in Iraq in the greatest mass slaughter of children mankind has ever known, and it means the throwing of millions of pounds of bombs and explosives at millions of children - also in Iraq - as Bush Jr did, in order to remove an old agent and replace him with a new puppet to assist in the pilfering of Iraq's oil and other outrages.

So with these images and their like as their background, the events of September 11th came as a reply to those great wrongs, should a man be blamed for defending his sanctuary?

Is defending oneself and punishing the aggressor in kind, objectionable terrorism? If it is such, then it is unavoidable for us.

This is the message which I sought to communicate to you in word and deed, repeatedly, for years before September 11th....

1. OBL was truly offended that we had female soldiers in Saudi Arabia. He felt it was a desecration of the homeland and wanted Bin Sultan AFB closed. Had this been done prior, 9/11 probably would never have happened.

2. A major attack on the U.S. was a rallying cry for the jihadis who want the infidel to disappear.

3. He wanted a training ground for AQ.

4. Belief that the infidels should be converted by any means.

I think Israel is just a facile excuse... it's a good war cry and its the one thing all the Arab countries agree on.

Interestingly, he got everything he wanted. We immediately closed Bin Sultan and got out of Saudi Arabia and invaded a soverign country in the mid-east that had nothing to do with the attack. he got his training ground and got to rally the arab world against us because of Iraq.

Think of a thousand reasons and still you can never justify what that monster did.

I'll start off by saying that I'm not a Truther. I fully believe that September 11th was masterminded by KSM and OBL.

I do, on the other hand, believe there was a catastrophic information failure on the part of the US intelligence community. But as to the root reasons why - there are many.

This is less a list of why we were attacked, and more a list of the justifications that Al Qaeda used to make the attacks acceptable to their followers.

1. Israel. Without getting into the history of the Arab-Israeli conflict, it has become the equivalent of what "Communism" was to the US in the 50s. Just like the boogeyman of Communism was used to justify going to war all around the globe, the US support of Israel is a factor in why we were attacked.

2. General Meddling. Aside from Israel, it should surprise no one that a whole lot of people around the world don't believe that we know what's best for the world. Therefore, when we go around the globe meddling in elections, governments, and arms deals, we make enemies. It's a fact.
Yeah! Blame America!

A super-empowered individual (OBL) took on the role of a super power and commissioned an attack on us that we were not ready for. The why is because they do not like our influence.

Foggedin

I actually think that can be added to the list. Bin laden is very manipulative, and it was a win-win situation for him no matter how it turned out -

US does nothing, shows it weak
US invades Afghanistan, kills innocents (as well as guilty), makes innocent's relatives jihadists...

OBL is the key here. GWB et al were merely the pawns; if not him, then some other American president and group that wanted to try to secure an ally in the Middle East to (1) ensure a continuing supply of energy, and (2) protect the flank of Israel. OBL knew how to play us. He still does.

Engery independence and the abandoment of Israel are the logical answers. We can't do the first without co-opting Big Business, and the second (to me) is morally reprehensible.

I agree with most of what people have said:

America's ME policy
Supporting dictators
US sanctions against Iraq
Unconditional support of Israel

I think what you have here is a list of justifications. The reason behind the 9/11 attack was to fulfill the desires of Osama Bin Laden''s twisted view of religion. Through his money and influence, he was able to carry it out.

Foggedin

I actually think that can be added to the list. Bin laden is very manipulative, and it was a win-win situation for him no matter how it turned out -

US does nothing, shows it weak
US invades Afghanistan, kills innocents (as well as guilty), makes innocent's relatives jihadists...

Your observation that doing nothing demonstrates weakness took my mind to a scripture that was puzzling to me for a long time.

When the Apostle Paul prayed for relief from an unspecified malady, the reply from Jesus was "My grace is sufficient for you, My strength is made perfect through weakness."

Jesus sure is politically incorrect.

Forum List

Back