Doctors Without Common Sense/Ebola Without Borders: Mandatory Quarantine Time.

Forced isolation quarantine for ALL incoming people from affected African countries?

• Yes

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • No.

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
Seems sensible to me. Don't we do that very thing for animals already? Can't take an animal from CONUS to Hawaii without some time in quarantine for example. And we're probably not worrying about ebola in that case. If the concern is ebola 21 days doesn't sound unreasonable. And the arguement doctors inclined to go try and help ebola victims wont because that can't sweat it out for 3 weeks doesn't hold water. They're brave enough to expose themselves to ebola but can't handle 3 weeks of daytime tv...Well ok ya that I can kinda see...:)
Its not sensible at all. Where do we get off locking people up without cause - that is what mandatory quarantine is. How are we going to pay to care and monitor these people for that time as well?

Simple solution - either it is safe enough for people to travel (as seems to be the case considering the WHOLE 2 cases we have had here) OR it is not safe and there needs to be a travel ban.

You either stop travel or you don't. Mandatory quarantine is not a solution at all.

Voted no to the way the question was phrased. Aren't we an affected country now? :)
Of course you did...idiot. Make your point in your posts...not the polls. You know what the question meant.

I also voted NO because of the way the question was phrased. The quarantine in place for NY and NJ clearly stated that Health care workers returning to New York who've had contact with Ebola patients would serve a 21 day MANDATORY quarantine. That does NOT include ALL
incoming people from affected African countries as you asked in the poll.
Yes. BIG difference. these people have cause for a quarantine - it is established that they HAVE come into contact with Ebola patients. There is a clear risk associated with this. I would also think that the quarantine is a known factor and should be expected. the healthcare workers should have been aware and are volunteering to this kind of measure when they went over there in the first place.

In my youth Mandatory Quarantines were not that rare. There would be signs posted on the house of those infected. I think it was mostly Chicken Pox but I can't quite remember why.

Ever see a slow motion video of a person sneezing? Here, have a look. Maybe ebola isn't airborn, but sneeze droplets ARE airborn. Maybe the infected but not yet symptomatic person is allergic to the gal's perfume sitting next to him?

Perhaps you should leave the medical science to the ones who know what they're doing. We don't need anymore lunatic leftist policy from people in love with government power.

Ever see a slow motion video of a person sneezing? Here, have a look. Maybe ebola isn't airborn, but sneeze droplets ARE airborn. Maybe the infected but not yet symptomatic person is allergic to the gal's perfume sitting next to him?

Perhaps you should leave the medical science to the ones who know what they're doing. We don't need anymore lunatic leftist policy from people in love with government power.

Would you ride next to a person with ebola in a plane/bus/car?
Yes or no?

Would you invite them into your house to meet the family?
Yes or no?

Hilarious. You don't need a degree in medicine to see the mucus coming out of those people's noses and spraying all over the place.

Dr. Spencer was symptomatic days before he went in with a high fever. Only an ignoramous would put the two together to come up with "let's expose densely packed public areas to a highly fatal disease [doesn't just kill the very old and very young like the flu]".

Instead of a degree in science, some people need a whack with a pine board upside the head. That's what grandpa used to say. And back in grandpa's day, 10s of thousands died in great quick sweeps from epidemics on a fairly regular basis. If that's what you think is good for American right now, keep your "academic" head in the sand.

The condition of New York City’s first Ebola patient has gotten worse.
Thirty-three-year-old Dr. Craig Spencer has moved into the most serious phase of the illness but he remained awake and talking, according to Bellevue hospital.
Spencer is heading into a gastrointestinal phase of the illness. Part of this course of the disease is the onset of diarrhea. This can cause patients to lose an enormous amount of fluids and electrolytes, which can shut down their kidneys and disrupt the heart’s rhythm. New York Ebola doctor 8217 s condition worsens WGN-TV

Like I said before, if he was in quarantine, not feeling good for a couple days before, they would've had him on an IV and started earlier on his treatment. From what I've read about ebola, one doesn't go from normal temperature to spiking 103 in just a couple hours. Those temperatures gradually climb and then spike over more hours than he reported. When he was "not feeling well", I'll bet you dollars to donuts he had a lower grade fever. His recklessness and lack of forced quarantine may have cost him his life.

We'll see. Ebola, unlike the flu, takes down men in their prime like flies. The flu kills infirm, elderly and very young children/infants. Most disease does that. Ebola is different. It is able to kill the healthy attendants of the sick. That's when you need to worry about a disease..

Thirty-three-year-old Dr. Craig Spencer has moved into the most serious phase of the illness but he remained awake and talking, according to Bellevue hospital.
Spencer is heading into a gastrointestinal phase of the illness. Part of this course of the disease is the onset of diarrhea. This can cause patients to lose an enormous amount of fluids and electrolytes, which can shut down their kidneys and disrupt the heart’s rhythm. New York Ebola doctor 8217 s condition worsens WGN-TV

Like I said before, if he was in quarantine, not feeling good for a couple days before, they would've had him on an IV and started earlier on his treatment. From what I've read about ebola, one doesn't go from normal temperature to spiking 103 in just a couple hours. Those temperatures gradually climb and then spike over more hours than he reported. When he was "not feeling well", I'll bet you dollars to donuts he had a lower grade fever. His recklessness and lack of forced quarantine may have cost him his life.

We'll see. Ebola, unlike the flu, takes down men in their prime like flies. The flu kills infirm, elderly and very young children/infants. Most disease does that. Ebola is different. It is able to kill the healthy attendants of the sick. That's when you need to worry about a disease..

His temperature is not 103. It is 100.3

FOX deliberately misquoted his temperature, for obvious reasons.

But the actual idea of the OP, althought it would interrupt a lot of lives, is one at least worth considering, I think.

But the actual idea of the OP, althought it would interrupt a lot of lives, is one at least worth considering, I think.

He reported not feeling well for a couple days before. "Not feeling well" is a common symptom most people experience when a virus is in their system, circulating and building up numbers before the body goes into full on fight or die mode [fever, diarrhea etc]. It's when the body is fighting with white cells & first immune responses and losing the battle slowly. It means the virus is already in bodily fluids.

He reported not feeling well for a couple days before. "Not feeling well" is a common symptom most people experience when a virus is in their system, circulating and building up numbers before the body goes into full on fight or die mode [fever, diarrhea etc]. It's when the body is fighting with white cells & first immune responses and losing the battle slowly. It means the virus is already in bodily fluids.

Yes, I agree with you, that sounds very plausible. Then again, sometimes people just get indigestion and have similar symptoms. Just one set of symptoms is not enough. That being said, considering where he was and what he was doing, he was very careless about his contact with other homo sapiens once he got to NYC.

Yes, I agree with you, that sounds very plausible. Then again, sometimes people just get indigestion and have similar symptoms. Just one set of symptoms is not enough. That being said, considering where he was and what he was doing, he was very careless about his contact with other homo sapiens once he got to NYC.

Well we're talking about an ebola healthcare worker just back from an ebola hot zone in Africa, not some coal miner who may have had too much pizza. ANY signs of discomfort physically should have sent him sprinting to the ER.

He is the poster child of why self-quarantine [oxymoron] cannot work. If doctors are too stupid/careless/reckless/sociopathic/narcissistic to stay indoors for 21 days not having contact with anyone, nobody can be relied on.

BTW, speaking of sociopaths and narcissists, did you catch the interview with that nurse in quarantine in NJ? Never have I heard a more self-centered, whining, non-medical viewpoint on a disease that is as virulent and deadly to strapping adults as ebola. Her philosophy is that her rights to do as she pleases [while she admits she may be at risk for carrying ebola] trumps the public health...!

And she is...get ready for this one...*drum roll*....AN EPIDEMIOLOGIST!

:eek-52:

This is what the cutting edge of our medical community had to say about keeping the public safe from ebola [paraphrased]

"waa waa waaaaaa! My rights. Me. me me me I I I I. I am brave. I went to Africa and treated ebola so my body is superior and my rights are superior even to the public's health.. Waaaa! I can take months out of my life to slave over sick and dying people in Africa to maybe save a few lives there but I REFUSE to stay inside for 21 days when I get back to American to save an entire region from an outbreak! I'm going to sue governor Christie! Waaaaaaaa! :crybaby:

Last edited:
Uhhh, did she really say those words, exactly those words? Really?

See: "paraphrased" I was taking poetic license with her words. But I'll tell you, listen to her interview with CNN's Candy Crowley and your jaw will drop. The tone of her voice is arrogant, whiney, even aggressive. Thank goodness our health, science and sane thinking is in the hands of the far-left-leaning medical community. Should rename this thread "Politics without boundaries".

She is patently selfish and self-absorbed to the point of pathology. I literally felt like I was listening to a sociopath in that interview.

Here are some excerpts:

...Hickox, an epidemiologist who was working to help treat Ebola patients in Sierra Leone, has tested negative twice for Ebola and does not have symptoms, she said. She is quarantined for 21 days at University Hospital in Newark.
"This is an extreme that is really unacceptable, and I feel like my basic human rights have been violated," Hickox told CNN's Candy Crowley on "State of the Union."
She described herself as "physically strong" but "emotionally exhausted."

"To put me through this emotional and physical stress is completely unacceptable," she said...

Little Miss Snit has her knickers in a twist over protecting the public health..

...Hickox told Crowley that mandatory quarantine is "not a sound public health decision" and that public health officials -- not politicians -- should be making the policies related to Ebola and public safety.
"For the first 12 hours, I was in shock. Now I'm angry," she added....

Enter, the lawyers!...God Bless America...
Lawyer Norman Siegal, former director of the New York Civil Liberties Union, said he'll be filing papers in court for Hickox to have a hearing no later than five days from the start of her confinement.
He said the doctors at the hospital say there's no medical reason to hold her. The policy Christie enacted is unconstitutional and too broad, he said.
"We need to know what the medical facts are and not rely on politicians who have their own vested interests," he said. Quarantined nurse slams state Ebola policy - CNN.com

Defense attorney for Christie: "Mr. Siegal, have you seen the video on a person sneezing in Silhouette's thread at USMB?...."

...lol..

Last edited:
This doctor's lack of self-monitoring and care for the general public concern is THE PRECISE REASON the nurse was placed in mandatory quarantine.

Forum List

Back