Does govt need to quarantine people who worked on Ebola patients?

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
If there is no way to determine if the workers have Ebola themselves, then yes, the govt certainly does need to quarantine them for a period equal to the incubation time of the disease, which is apparently three weeks. One of the proper functions of government is to protect it citizens from deadly threats. And Ebola is so consistently fatal to most people who get it, that it certainly qualifies as such a deadly threat.

Most people who worked on Ebola patients will not have the disease, but a few might. Since the disease is so deadly (70% fatality rate) and incurable, as well as contagious, the govt cannot allow them to have contact with others until we can be SURE they don't have the disease themselves. And if the only way to determine that, is to let the disease (if any) run its course until overt symptoms can be expected, then the conclusion is inevitable.

BUT... is that the only way to tell if a returning aid worker has the disease?

I thought doctors have tests to determine if a patient has Ebola. I've heard (sorry, no link) that there is a standard test, which takes around two days to produce its result. And at that point, you know that the patient has Ebola, or that he does not have it.

If we do indeed have such tests, and if they can be relied upon for accuracy (no person who really has Ebola, ever produces a "clean" result) , then why do we need to quarantine all returning aid workers for three weeks? Why can't we simply give all returning aid workers this test, keep them isolated for two days, and then quarantine (and hopefully treat) only those whom the test says have Ebola? What's the point of quarantining someone whom the test says definitely doesn't have the disease (if the test is reliable)?

In fact, isn't there a new test, that produces its result in only ten minutes? How accurate and reliable is that test? If it says someone doesn't have Ebola, can we be SURE they definitely don't? How thoroughly vetted and proven is that 10-minute test?

Here's a link where they talk about that 10-minute test. But it says the test isn't reliable: it tests for Ebola in the blood, while Ebola doesn't exist in the blood in patients who are in the early stages of infection. It exists in the tissues at first. Only later, about when the patient starts feeling sick, do virus particles start showing up in the blood.
Blood Test For Ebola Doesn t Catch Infection Early Shots - Health News NPR

Should government quarantine aid workers who have worked on Ebola patients?

If there is no RELIABLE way to tell if the worker has Ebola, then yes, government should quarantine them all for the incubation period (three weeks). And it DOES have the power to do so.

But if there is a reliable way to determine in a few days that the worker has (or does not have) Ebola, then government should quarantine them for only as long as it takes to run that test and produce the result. Then people who definitely don't have the disease (hopefully that's most of them), should be released from quarantine immediately.

The Hospitals ran by 1%ers should stop allowing so many nurses/doctors to come in contact with the patients. I think only a couple brave nurses and doctors should volunteer to work on the patient. Only the ones that volunteer to isolate themselves as well.

But 1% in the medical field for a very long time have used the "Start a fire and sell water" method to keep them on top.

More govt. = freedom

Fuck you ebola workeeeerrrrzzzz!!!

I see your perspective but I also see people that have worked with Ebola patients verify a fever and then take a city tour.

Again. The workers should be limited to volunteers and it should be taken more seriously in the medical 1% field.

More govt. = freedom

Fuck you ebola workeeeerrrrzzzz!!!

I see your perspective but I also see people that have worked with Ebola patients verify a fever and then take a city tour.

Again. The workers should be limited to volunteers and it should be taken more seriously in the medical 1% field.

Why?

The workers should be limited to volunteers and it should be taken more seriously in the medical 1% field.
And if the volunteer later changes his mind?

Sorry, not good enough. This is a disease that kills 70% of the people who get it, and can be spread by normal contact (touching someone, or even coughing or sneezing on someone while you have symptoms).

Government must quarantine ALL returning workers who have worked on Ebola patients, until doctors are sure the worker doesn't have Ebola. If that only takes two days, great. If it only takes 10 minutes, even better.

But IF the only way to be sure the returning worker doesn't have ebola, is to keep them isolated for three weeks, then government must do that to ALL returning workers who have worked on Ebola patients.

The workers should be limited to volunteers and it should be taken more seriously in the medical 1% field.

Sorry, not good enough. This is a disease that kills 70% of the people who get it, and can be spread by normal contact (touching someone, or even coughing or sneezing on someone while you have symptoms).

Government must quarantine ALL returning workers who have worked on Ebola patients, until doctors are sure the worker doesn't have Ebola. If that only takes two days, great. If it only takes 10 minutes, even better.

But IF the only way to be sure the returning worker doesn't have ebola, is to keep them isolated for three weeks, then government must do that to ALL returning workers who have worked on Ebola patients.

Oh yea, you are scared to death of "slippery slope". Typical.

"That worker might say yes i'll stay and then decide not to and OMG im scared to death I can't even type omg omg omg!"

It cannot be spread by normal contact. You're an idiot. :thup:

Just under 100 medical personnel are getting in close contact with Ebola patients today. I would think that if you were serious you would appreciate a select few volunteer medical workers being the only ones in contact, but it's political at this point isn't it. You have to blame Obama!.

Some doctors think it's airborne which is why so many nutt jobs are losing their cool.

I find myself in the middle using common sense as always.

The Left seems to be preaching, "It will not spread, how could it!" all the while it's spreading and has been for a very long time........
The Right seems to think it's the end of the world.

I tend to think about spread prevention. I know, CRAZY!

"That worker might say yes i'll stay and then decide not to and OMG im scared to death I can't even type omg omg omg!"
I see that you, unable to refute anything I said, are trying to pretend I said something else instead.

Typical.

I see that you, unable to refute anything I said, are trying to pretend I said something else instead.

Typical.

I didn't refute anything you stated. That's a fact, you are entitle to your own opinion.

I simply stated my own opinion. And my opinion is that I was correct in this matter. Welcome to politics.

Indirect exposure to blood and body fluids (via fomites) has also been implicated in EVD transmission but is not common. In the 2000 – 2001 Ebola outbreak in Gulu, Uganda, one EVD patient had no direct exposure to another known EVD patient; this patient slept with a blanket that had been used by another patient who died of EVD.12

Review of Human-to-Human Transmission of Ebola Virus Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever CDC

Indirect exposure to blood and body fluids (via fomites) has also been implicated in EVD transmission but is not common. In the 2000 – 2001 Ebola outbreak in Gulu, Uganda, one EVD patient had no direct exposure to another known EVD patient; this patient slept with a blanket that had been used by another patient who died of EVD.12

Review of Human-to-Human Transmission of Ebola Virus Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever CDC

Ya bro we're all gonna die :cuckoo:

Yes it should. No need to explain why.
Read what I wrote.

I did. Perhaps you missed the part where I agreed with your thread?
You didn't agree with my essay (which provided several "what ifs"). You only agreed with the title. There is more to it than just the title.

Maybe, but you asked a direct question via your title. So, what part was I supposed to agree with, then? You must understand that I am not the speculative type. I answer in certain terms. :)

Ya bro we're all gonna die :cuckoo:

not everyone

Forum List

Back