Do you support State's rights over the Federal Government?

LibertyLemming

VIP Member
Oct 31, 2012
USA
Open to everyone. I'd be pleased if you listed who you voted for with your response.

How would you feel about having the smallest Federal Government possible and letting each state govern as they see fit. That way instead of having an entire country dividided because we are trying to institute what half the voters want nationwide, each state could do what the majority of their voters desire and people would be able to relocate to a state that matches their desires?

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Open to everyone. I'd be pleased if you listed who you voted for with your response.

How would you feel about having the smallest Federal Government possible and letting each state govern as they see fit. That way instead of having an entire country dividided because we are trying to institute what half the voters want nationwide, each state could do what the majority of their voters desire and people would be able to relocate to a state that matches their desires?

I know our education system is a mess, but were you never taught in school how this nation was set up to be? The federal government was set to serve the states, not the states serving the feds.
I absolutely agree. I spent a good amount of time of the phone with my state senator's office today asking for legislation to help Tennessee become more autonomous and get weaned off federal money. May as well use that super majority while we can. :)

Europa has always failed and been embroiled in endless wars and strife due to the above philosophy which the founding fathers deliberately tried to avoid in writing the US Constitution.

Never! I like my Federal Gov't as a huge check and balance against r-wing extremism thank you.

Where did you get the impression that I don't know how it is "supposed to be"?

With an approval rating for Congress at 13% I say it is a no brainer. It does not matter how many elections are held, the approval rating seems to just get worse.

What an indictment against the system that espouses democracy as a virture.

Europa has always failed and been embroiled in endless wars and strife due to the above philosophy which the founding fathers deliberately tried to avoid in writing the US Constitution.

I'd be THRILLED to see you defend this position.

Kind of broad. You're going to have to be more specific. Is slavery in play? Polygamy? Will only the landed be allowed to vote? What happens to individual liberties if the majority voted to take them away? If you reference the Constitution, then you're talking the Federal government, so set some guidelines or the question is just insane.

US Constitution

Section. 10.

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Controul of the Congress.

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

the constitution is replete with the role of a central gov't - and the limitations placed on states.

Hell yes I do. I live in North Caroline not California what works in California will never work in North Carolina and the federal government has no right to impose California laws on North Carolina

US Constitution

Section. 10.

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Controul of the Congress.

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

the constitution is replete with the role of a central gov't - and the limitations placed on states.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. The Constitution is all about what the Federal Government CAN do and the rest is supposed to be left to the states. The Constitition is almost the exact opposite of what you just said. It limits the Federal Government.

US Constitution

Section. 10.

the constitution is replete with the role of a central gov't - and the limitations placed on states.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. The Constitution is all about what the Federal Government CAN do and the rest is supposed to be left to the states. The Constitition is almost the exact opposite of what you just said. It limits the Federal Government.

Article [X.]
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

is this what you are referring to ?

or to the people

ultimately what that says is that it is what the people make it ... and the text of the Constitution itself defines there to be a central gov't that is in control of the states.

Well the "to the people" clause was added after the fact but yes that is what I am referring to more or less. My point is that the Constitution was about limiting the Federal Government and laying out precisely what it was allowed to do. I see how you could view this the other way though by saying it lays out what the State's can't do and restricts the states by (sorta)specifically saying what the Fed can.

This wasn't meant to be a debate on the Constitution though. It is a general and vague question on how people would feel about the State being the main governing force on almost every topic.

Forum List

Back