Do you support abolishing the Federal Dept of Education?

Do you support abolishing the Fed Dept of Ed in favor of Parents and the States?

• Yes

Votes: 75 78.1%
  • No

Votes: 21 21.9%

• Total voters
Just as a sample of the level of math you need in order to survive without government assistance.

I agree in principle and am a strong supporter of learning for its own sake, but I can't recall ever actually employing those particular skills outside an academic/testing environment.

Well, education is very local already. I really want to hear the arguments on both sides for this one.

Has education in this country improved an iota since Carter created the Dep of E?

Nope. It has gotten worse.

Case closed

it was created in the late 1800's. carter just changed the name.
youd know this if you where educated.

So I guess, then, you agree that the department of eductaion is not doing justice to properly educating our people?

In favor of returning education to Parents and the States?

but its already there you fucking dumbshit.

state and local level run the schools. feds mostly come in for aid and make up 10% of the overall national budget.

your statement is a lie

Through this aid they set policy because the school districts/states have to meet certain requirements to get the aid. If they don't toe the federal line, they don't get the cash.

state and local level run the schools. feds mostly come in for aid and make up 10% of the overall national budget.

your statement is a lie

So we dont have a Federal Department of Education that recieves Billions of dolalrs in tax payer moneys which they distribute back to states and local governments?

The Federal Government has no authority to do anything in education. They shouldn't have 0% say let alone 10%.

You're very own statistics have proven that I havent lied about jack.

So I guess, then, you agree that the department of eductaion is not doing justice to properly educating our people?

thats not there job...that is the role of state and local.
so your question is meaningless.

No. It is not their job...and yes, it is the job of those at the local level.

My question was sarcasm....humor if you will.

Try to enjoy it.

your statement is a lie

So we dont have a Federal Department of Education that recieves Billions of dolalrs in tax payer moneys which they distribute back to states and local governments?

The Federal Government has no authority to do anything in education. They shouldn't have 0% say let alone 10%.

You're very own statistics have proven that I havent lied about jack.

Plasma didnt say that.

But he is correct...the DoE does not teach our children. It does not decide on the lesson plans, the teachers hired or the textbooks used.

Has education in this country improved an iota since Carter created the Dep of E?

Nope. It has gotten worse.

Case closed

Amazing how he thinks Washington should have so much say in the education of our children. As if politicians and bueaucrats know better than parents and local leaders.

And it's even more amazing how his posts disprove his own positions.

Back before there was a federal government, there were ordinances passed under the articles of confederation that showed a national interest in education. It is a legitimate federal interest.

The question before us right now is whether the Department of Education as it exists is a good vehicle for that interest. Whether it is at all competent in that interest, and whether the huge level of spending at the federal level has improved the level of education in this country since the time the feds first began spending large amounts of money back in the late 50's.

I think federal interference has had a demonstrably bad influence on the level of education ever since Sputnik. The spending is producing nothing of value, and the Department of Education has been an instrument of intellectual Decline ever since it was first set up during the Carter administration.

Amazing how he thinks Washington should have so much say in the education of our children. As if politicians and bueaucrats know better than parents and local leaders.

But they dont have a say.....Jesus christ.....I see the educate you got failed you. Public, Private, homeschooled, it fucking failed you.

based on your grammer, it seemed it failed you as well.
:cool: (I took your advice)

But they dont have a say.....Jesus christ.....I see the educate you got failed you. Public, Private, homeschooled, it fucking failed you.

based on your grammer, it seemed it failed you as well.
:cool: (I took your advice)

"grammar"

I firmly believe that the Department of Education at the federal level is one of the most intricate boondoggles in the history of government. I have NEVER seen anything good come from it and have yet to understand why it has been created and why it insists on sticking its festering finger into a subject that is strictly LOCAL!

If the federal government wants to pour money into education, then I think that based upon population, it should dole out the funds to the local school boards, or better yet, to the state government. I think that education is one of those things where the unions have gotten so big and so powerful that it has literally shut down any progress to be made in this area. Too many administrators, too much over-head and way, way too much outside influence on education.

Can you believe that they RANK states by how much money they spend per student? Not whether the students can read or write or anything of that nature, absolutely not! They rank a state by how much money they spend. Johnny can't read or write, but since we spent $25,000 per year on him, wow aren't we doing good???

Government craziness gone insane!

Back before there was a federal government, there were ordinances passed under the articles of confederation that showed a national interest in education. It is a legitimate federal interest.

The question before us right now is whether the Department of Education as it exists is a good vehicle for that interest. Whether it is at all competent in that interest, and whether the huge level of spending at the federal level has improved the level of education in this country since the time the feds first began spending large amounts of money back in the late 50's.

I think federal interference has had a demonstrably bad influence on the level of education ever since Sputnik. The spending is producing nothing of value, and the Department of Education has been an instrument of intellectual Decline ever since it was first set up during the Carter administration.

actually the Spending was moderately low until bush came in and expanded spending. Im not saying this is a negative, just it is what it is.
Again like i said go educate yourself on the subject before spitting out more nonsense.

the question here is not about absolute value, but effectiveness. Since the 1950s we have been shoveling ever more money at the problem and getting worse results. After 60 years of this we should conclude the experiment in federal control of education is a flop. Republican ideas or Democratic ideas flop equally badly. What does seem to work is local control and local accountability. What we have now is federal control and no accountability

Forum List

Back