Do You Shoot A Mating Buck?

Do You Shoot A Mating Buck?

• Absolutely! There will be plenty of fawns born next season.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No way! It's not fair to shoot the old boy in such a vulnerable "position."

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • It would depend on how much food I have on hand and the time of year.

• Other. Please explain.

• Total voters

DriftingSand

Cast Iron Member
Feb 16, 2014
State of Disgust!
You're hungry and your family is hungry and it's the last day of hunting season. In the distance you catch a glimpse of a big, 10-point buck you've been hunting for days. You're in very dry terrain so you don't dare take a step for fear of scaring him off. Your view of him is obscured by several trees and a number of small branches. If you have any hope of bagging him you will have to shoot right now before he moves out of range and out of sight. There's one problem! He has just mounted a doe and you know that it's important for future hunts that females get impregnated by healthy, stealthy bucks. Do you shoot the 10-pointer or do you let him finish his business knowing that you may not get a second chance?

big-breeding-buck-660x345.jpg

Video Breeding Buck Wait Shoot or Pass

Hell no. You let him finish his business so that there will be little bucks next year. Sheesh!

If you hit the doe you are in trouble most days of hunting season in my area. Wait until he is done and rolls over to go to sleep or smoke a cigarette or something.

Y'all act like there are no other bucks that will knock up that doe if you take this buck out.

Hell no. You let him finish his business so that there will be little bucks next year. Sheesh!

You say "sheesh" as if I just kicked a kitten. :banned03:

Dude, asking the question is the equivalent of kicking the kitten.....sheesh!

No it isn't. It's a totally fair question. Just because you wouldn't shoot the buck and just because I wouldn't shoot the buck doesn't mean that someone who hunts for survival wouldn't. Sheesh!!

If you hit the doe you are in trouble most days of hunting season in my area. Wait until he is done and rolls over to go to sleep or smoke a cigarette or something.

If someone is that poor at shooting then he (she) should probably practice shooting at the range before trying it in the field. But I do agree that we should allow the buck to ask: "was it as good for you as it was for me?"

If someone is that poor at shooting then he (she) should probably practice shooting at the range before trying it in the field. But I do agree that we should allow the buck to ask: "was it as good for you as it was for me?"

I assume that deer move about when they are copulating.

Chances are he has fucked many doe already and that doe isn't a virgin so fire away.

I'll tell you what I'll never do again. I shot a doe with one baby. The baby stuck around sniffing mama until I scared it away. The poor thing. I hope it was old enough to survive on its own or join another group but I know it was scared and alone that night and I'll never forgive myself for it.

He's not the only buck in the woods. You aint hungry and neither is your family, tho. If you are, there's food stamps and the Food Bank and the churches, the mission and the food pantries.

If it's shtf, of course you shoot him. There's other bucks to impregnate that doe, and if you get the chance, you'd better shoot her, too. The other starving people and dog packs will get her anyway.

It might be strategically advisable to shoot her first, actually, since the gun rises in recoil and he's more likely to be confused about what's just happened (at the shot) than she will be! :) Of course, the use of a suppressed rifle will help at getting both of them into your larder. Survival poaching has nothing in common with sport hunting.

Forum List

Back