Do you know how to change a flat tire?

Grumpyolman

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2018
San Diego
I'll never forget that insurance company commercial where Mom is worried about her strapping, tall 16 year old son and his buddy getting stranded with a flat tire.
It was sad commentary on the state of American masculinity.
Here's a plan, mom. Teach the damn kid how to change a tire. Der.

I'll never forget that insurance company commercial where Mom is worried about her strapping, tall 16 year old son and his buddy getting stranded with a flat tire.
Here is an Ex-Spurt in action...

It's not a simple question any more. Not all cars have spare tires. Some cars have run-flats.

It is not simple to determine WHERE to jack a car up. Think about the damage you could do if you just randomly jacked it up somplace on the correct quadrant of the car? Forget the old bumper jack; I can't even imagine trying to jack up a "uni-body" car with a bumper jack - if you can find a bumper, which you probably can't.

Have you looked at the kit they provide to change a tire? They give you a scissors jack and a long rod that you turn to make it go up and down. I've done it, but the first time I had to do it, it was not pretty. Fortunately, I was on level pavement in daylight.

My advice is, join the Triple A (or comparable, say, Allstate insurance), and make sure your kid knows the number to call if they get a flat. Fortunately, if you run decent tires the chances of getting a flat are slim.

I remember years ago when we were loading up the jets, I told my son to back the trailer up. He was maybe 15 or 16.

That was a hoot. He jackknifed it about a half dozen times. Almost took the pier out. lol...

Last edited:
Forget the old bumper jack; I can't even imagine trying to jack up a "uni-body" car with a bumper jack - if you can find a bumper, which you probably can't.

Ha. I remember those...

s-l1600.jpg

My 17 year old daughter knows how. And she practices!

It's not a simple question any more. Not all cars have spare tires. Some cars have run-flats.

It is not simple to determine WHERE to jack a car up. Think about the damage you could do if you just randomly jacked it up somplace on the correct quadrant of the car? Forget the old bumper jack; I can't even imagine trying to jack up a "uni-body" car with a bumper jack - if you can find a bumper, which you probably can't.

Have you looked at the kit they provide to change a tire? They give you a scissors jack and a long rod that you turn to make it go up and down. I've done it, but the first time I had to do it, it was not pretty. Fortunately, I was on level pavement in daylight.

My advice is, join the Triple A (or comparable, say, Allstate insurance), and make sure your kid knows the number to call if they get a flat. Fortunately, if you run decent tires the chances of getting a flat are slim.

No Bueno. Teach your kids how to do it properly. Make them practice.

My 17 year old daughter knows how. And she practices!
I think the key is motivation to WANT to know how. When both my kids left home I went through how to change their tire on their cars. I'd bet neither one of them remembers. My wife once popped her tire on one of those spike strips so I drove out and changed it and I explained every thing I was doing. There isn't a chance she could do it now. My Dad never taught me but I don't like relying on other people so I taught myself.

Many new cars don't come with a spare. Most won't, soon enough.

Forum List

Back