Do you fear God?

Never mind. I have plenty I could offer the topic, but you'd prefer not to discuss with me since I don't fit your demographics, lol. Buddhists are a great help to deists of all kinds by helping you really look at what you call God and to understand the broader implications of divinity outside the scope of the label G-O-D. Please keep your mind slammed shut, and/or narrow minded--that really makes you grow.

Oh now it's "nevermind" :lol:

I had expected a slightly more spirited comeback, but I guess you didn't have anything or you would have brought it out.
Speaking of closed minds.... I never said I didn't want atheists or non-believers not to post, I asked them not to derail the thread. If you had actually wanted to contribute I'm sure you would have, but that wasn't your purpose. :)

You a slow reader? I responded further. I am contributing to the thread.

Finally. Sort of...

It's always hard to tell when it's actually safe to read what you've written, it changes so often.:)

But, I am interested in whether you think there is any difference between God, the Tao, Allah or Buddha?

Do these paths equally promote fear as a way of life?

NO, ALLAH (may his name FOREVER be a curse....ptooie) is a DEMON, and isLAME (damn, I'm clever :eusa_think:) is a HATEFUL RELIGION that wants to KILL all who OPPOSE it.

(predicted ABS response)

I have as much respect for Allah as I have for God and Buddha. We use different terms, we have completely different methods for awakening to truth but ultimately all separtion is illusory.

I concur. Some of the paths may be distinct, but the ultimate goal seems to be the same for most religions.

ABS, by definition you don't meet Amanda's demographics.

But, I am interested in whether you think there is any difference between God, the Tao, Allah or Buddha?

Do these paths equally promote fear as a way of life?

I think I'm going to go ahead and be the 1 to define my demographic, thanks. ABS has "God is my Sensei" in his sig, that qualifies him, IMO.

If you want to tell me which god Buddhists believe in I bet I can qualify you too. :)

We have many meditational deities--and we have Buddha. You aren't qualified to have a deep conversation on the dvine essence (or Buddhist may use the terms the 'essence nature of mind'--or 'suchness' or 'that which is' or 'ultimate truth' or timeless awareness) that some label God, other's Allah and some Buddha. We might call what you call God 'the perfection of sublime knowing' . By your own admission, you don't like to think that deeply.

How much do you know about Taoism, Amanda? What is God to you Amanda? How many people of other spiritual tradtions besides your own have you talked to and how deeply do you understand their beliefs?

How deeply do you understand your own? Is God a He or a She or an It? Is your God limited by gender?

This is how we refer to what you would call God in my Buddhist tradtion:

"Indescribable, inconceivable, and inexpressible, the Perfeciton of Sublime Knowing is unborn and unceasing. The very nature of space. It is the realm of your own self-knowing timeless awareness. I pay homage to the mother of the Buddha's of the three times."
Heart Sutra, aka Prajnaparamita

Now as to whether this is feared or not. It is feared. We both desire union or inseparability with God or Buddha nature and we fear it--with good reason--it means the death of the ego and separation sense of self.

I didn't know Buddha was a god. That's interesting. Here's something else that's interesting:

The Buddha himself is revered not as a deity or supernatural being but as a very special kind of human being.

That's from The religion of Buddhism

As for the rest, this isn't about what I know about anything, I expressed myself on the subject at hand in the OP and I'm wanting to hear others views about fearing God, not very special kinds of human beings. If you think it's an important topic maybe you should start a thread about it instead of continuing to try to derail this 1. :)

I think I'm going to go ahead and be the 1 to define my demographic, thanks. ABS has "God is my Sensei" in his sig, that qualifies him, IMO.

If you want to tell me which god Buddhists believe in I bet I can qualify you too. :)

We have many meditational deities--and we have Buddha. You aren't qualified to have a deep conversation on the dvine essence (or Buddhist may use the terms the 'essence nature of mind'--or 'suchness' or 'that which is' or 'ultimate truth' or timeless awareness) that some label God, other's Allah and some Buddha. We might call what you call God 'the perfection of sublime knowing' . By your own admission, you don't like to think that deeply.

How much do you know about Taoism, Amanda? What is God to you Amanda? How many people of other spiritual tradtions besides your own have you talked to and how deeply do you understand their beliefs?

How deeply do you understand your own? Is God a He or a She or an It? Is your God limited by gender?

"Indescribable, inconceivable, and inexpressible, the Perfeciton of Sublime Knowing is unborn and unceasing. The very nature of space. It is the realm of your own self-knowing timeless awareness. I pay homage to the mother of the Buddha's of the three times."

Now as to whether this is feared or not. It is feared. We both desire union or inseparability with God or Buddha nature and we fear it--with good reason--it means the death of the ego and separation sense of self.

I didn't know Buddha was a god. That's interesting. Here's something else that's interesting:

The Buddha himself is revered not as a deity or supernatural being but as a very special kind of human being.

As for the rest, this isn't about what I know about anything, I expressed myself on the subject at hand in the OP and I'm wanting to hear others views about fearing God, not very special kinds of human beings. If you think it's an important topic maybe you should start a thread about it instead of continuing to try to derail this 1. :)

Like I said, you'd rather argue Buddhism with a Buddhist, find another Buddhist to do it with lol. I wouldn't dream of debating bible teachings with a Jew or a Christian because I have too much respect for people who practice those faiths.

That's what I mean about your lack of respect. It's one sided only.

You can find whatever links you wish to, but I am offering a point of view as a person practicing in a specific tradition of Buddhism, one that looks for ways to connect with others--rather than descend into sectarianism--which always leads to war.

I have offered a way to find common ground--you reject it. That's fine. It's your choice. I'm suggesting you look at what God is in the most expansive way possible. When that happens, concepts about God (which are not God) labels and names fall away and all that remains is resting in equipoise in the present moment, 24/7. It's a possibility when you think outside narrow sectarianism.

Sectarianism, fundamentalism, the kind of Christianity you practice as a Baptis, all have their place, and are useful. I respect your choice.

I assert my interest in theological and religious discussions, and I will participate to the best of my ability in these discussions. I'm looking for common ground. Buddhist teachings say that Buddha is always present--but rarely seen and in every being. Christians say all are God's children. I hear common ground in those statements. Do you miss it?

If you'd rather not consider my comments or questions, it's your choice. I'm also communicating with other members.

It's extremely disrespectful of others to ask them questions and then provide your own argumentative answer which has nothing to do with the teachings I've recieved and practiced. If you want to be respected, learn to be respectful.

Buddha refers to two things--a state of consciousness or being--(is God not called Being?) and the historical figure who had realization of that state and who taught the path leading to it's moment to moment experience. The historical Buddha was indeed a special being, like Jesus is to you, and Mohammed is to Muslims.

Last edited:
Hi Sky. I don't care what you think on this subject either, you're not the demographic I was addressing. But thanks for stopping by.

BTW, I didn't ask anyone to respect me because I'm Christian. I asked them to be respectful regarding the purpose of the thread. I don't think I mentioned anything about Christians specifically, only atheists and other non-believers. I would be happy to hear the opinions of Jews or Muslims or any other "believer" types.

Hi Amanda.

Thanks for demonstrating my point about respect. You don't care what I think on this topic, that's a sign of being disrespect to me as a posting member of this message board.

You've excluded Buddhists in who you want to hear from, as a group. This is the religion forum. You're disrespectful to Buddhists.

You make categories into who is worthy of respect and who isn't. I get it.

The purpose of the thread is to examine the question "Do you fear God?" All members are welcome to address that topic.

Respect is on topic, because some consider fear or awe to be respect. I don't.

I think respect is mutually inclusive regardless of whether someone believes in God or not. Especially, if one believes that all beings have the essence of God or Buddha within us.

BTW you don't get to tell members who can post on a thread and who can't. I wasn't aware that you own the message board.

And thank you for demonstrating why I needed to ASK that the thread not b derailed. :)

I didn't disrespect you, I don't value your opinion because you aren't the demographic that matters to the question. What god do Buddhists believe in?

It's time for you to show a link where I made categories of people that deserve respect.

And BTW, I didn't TELL anyone they couldn't post, I ASKED if they would please not derail the thread. See, here's what I said:

Atheists and other non-believers I would really appreciate it if you could not derail the thread, I really want to hear what other believers think without the usual flaming that accompanies "religious" threads.

See? I asked them not to derail, I didn't say that anyone couldn't post.

At this point the question I do have for you is: Why do you care if believers want to get to know others beliefs better? You've tried twice now to derail the thread, so it must be pretty important to you that you stop this discussion.

Because she knows that God said homosexuality was an abomination, and that their blood shall surely be upon them.

And I don't fear God. Maybe I should, but don't. I believe God/Christ has done a miracle for me. (PM me if you'd like to hear the story.) No God would have done what happened for me, AFTER I prayed for help, had they number one, NOT been there, and two, NOT considered me worthy.

I'm a service connected disabled veteran. I'm not rich. I don't have a loving relationship and wife. I don't have a lot of things, but the Bible says the poorer you are here on earth, the richer you'll be in heaven. So I'm actually looking forward to going up to the big house in the heavens. The Bible says you'll have a new body with skin more subtle than that of a new born babe, and on and on. So, I don't think the Lord is going to waste his time doing miracles for me if he wasn't planning on bringing me up to heaven. But, BUT, I'd still bet I might have some explaining to do.... :redface:

Amanda shows more tolerance than is warranted. Christians come here daily to be taunted, ridiculed and jeered at by people who would fling themselves on the floor, beat their fists, pull out their hair and probably sue if anyone dared to speak to them or their religion the way they see fit to speak of us and ours.

Sky Dancer is one of the least tolerant, pompous, addlepated twits who currently posts on here. SHe manages to combine nastiness with a disgustingly syrupy way of posting (and bad poetry) that is only surpassed by one other..and that one other poster is actually smarter (which if in my opinion doesn't say much for SD).

Sky has nothing to offer on the topic, which is why she bowed out. Other than lofty know-nothing vaporisms and smarmy, self-serving philosophy.

Damn....
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to AlieBaba again.

Last edited:
Amanda shows more tolerance than is warranted. Christians come here daily to be taunted, ridiculed and jeered at by people who would fling themselves on the floor, beat their fists, pull out their hair and probably sue if anyone dared to speak to them or their religion the way they see fit to speak of us and ours.

Yeah, I hear you guys can't sit on a plane, have a funny-sounding name, or be open about your faith without being harassed or worse simply because of your religious beliefs. That must suck. :eusa_eh:

Yeah, I hear you guys can't sit on a plane, have a funny-sounding name, or be open about your faith without being harassed or worse simply because of your religious beliefs. That must suck. :eusa_eh:

Those poor Christian martyrs, they still have PTSD from the days of being thrown to the lions.

Maybe if people with funny sounding names all from a certain religion didn't hijack and fly planes into buildings full of innocent people killing them all in a blaze of fire and destruction, they wouldn't get harassed.

You never seem to able to comprehend that. You can only play the victim and whine.

Here's a novel idea... why don't you go join a muslim board and tell all your kind to KNOCK IT OFF... then maybe the world could see some peace. Oh that's right, you people have been KILLING each other and INFIDELS for THOUSANDS OF YEARS.... fat chance the world will EVER see you people stop the killing.

Last edited:

Maybe if people with funny sounding names all from a certain religion didn't hijack and fly planes into buildings full of innocent people killing them all in a blaze of fire and destruction, they wouldn't get harassed.

You never seem to able to comprehend that. You can only play the victim and whine.

Here's a novel idea... why don't you go join a muslim board and tell all your kind to KNOCK IT OFF... then maybe the world could see some peace. Oh that's right, you people have been KILLING each other and INFIDELS for THOUSANDS OF YEARS.... fat chance the world will EVER see you people stop the killing.

Ok, I *really* didn't want to step into this, because I have a splitting headache, and I know it's NOT going to be well received. BUT...

Kalam - Pale is NOT one of the Christians who *pushes* his faith on to others. He states what he believes, and leaves off the "if you don't believe what I believe, you're going to hell." So, what're you trying to taunt HIM about religion for? Taunt someone that pushes it in the wrong manner. There's plenty of those people - start with Yukon.

Pale - Kalam didn't fly a plane into a building and isn't responsible for what OTHER people do, whether or not he speaks out against it to your satisfaction. He's responsible for that HE does, and nothing more.

That said.. WTF are you two doing, and kindly knock it the hell off. :eusa_pray::eusa_angel:

You're right. We should immediately begin harassing all Orthodox Christians with Serbian names and all Christians with Ugandan names for the crimes against humanity perpetrated by members of each group.

Does making rash generalizations and treating an entire religion as a homogeneous, unthinking monolith not strike you at all as irrational?

No, I am not able to comprehend the reasoning, or lack thereof, behind treating all Muslims as if they believe and support the same things. In place of whining, I've defended my beliefs against their detractors and called out those who have insulted those beliefs egregiously.

Here's a novel idea... why don't you go join a muslim board and tell all your kind to KNOCK IT OFF...
The thing is, these people constitute a minority in the religion and tend to keep to themselves. I'd engage them online if joining a radical Muslim board wouldn't lead to the FBI crapping on my 4th amendment rights, putting me on their watch list, etc.

then maybe the world could see some peace. Oh that's right, you people have been KILLING each other and INFIDELS for THOUSANDS OF YEARS.... fat chance the world will EVER see you people stop the killing.
Dude, newsflash, all religions kill in spite of unjust killing being against the moral teachings of those religions. I, for one, doubt that Jesus would be pleased with the crusades, the inquisition, centuries of religiously-motivated European colonialism, the Bosnian genocide, Ugandan child-rape/slavery, etc.

Also, Islam has not been in existence for thousands of years.

Kalam - Pale is NOT one of the Christians who *pushes* his faith on to others. He states what he believes, and leaves off the "if you don't believe what I believe, you're going to hell." So, what're you trying to taunt HIM about religion for? Taunt someone that pushes it in the wrong manner. There's plenty of those people - start with Yukon.

My issue with PR comes from his stated belief that all Muslims should be killed. His religion is of no consequence to me; I was responding to AllieBaba. That being said, your input is appreciated.

Like I said, you'd rather argue Buddhism with a Buddhist, find another Buddhist to do it with lol. I wouldn't dream of debating bible teachings with a Jew or a Christian because I have too much respect for people who practice those faiths.

That's what I mean about your lack of respect. It's one sided only.

You can find whatever links you wish to, but I am offering a point of view as a person practicing in a specific tradition of Buddhism, one that looks for ways to connect with others--rather than descend into sectarianism--which always leads to war.

I have offered a way to find common ground--you reject it. That's fine. It's your choice. I'm suggesting you look at what God is in the most expansive way possible. When that happens, concepts about God (which are not God) labels and names fall away and all that remains is resting in equipoise in the present moment, 24/7. It's a possibility when you think outside narrow sectarianism.

Sectarianism, fundamentalism, the kind of Christianity you practice as a Baptis, all have their place, and are useful. I respect your choice.

I assert my interest in theological and religious discussions, and I will participate to the best of my ability in these discussions. I'm looking for common ground. Buddhist teachings say that Buddha is always present--but rarely seen and in every being. Christians say all are God's children. I hear common ground in those statements. Do you miss it?

If you'd rather not consider my comments or questions, it's your choice. I'm also communicating with other members.

It's extremely disrespectful of others to ask them questions and then provide your own argumentative answer which has nothing to do with the teachings I've recieved and practiced. If you want to be respected, learn to be respectful.

Buddha refers to two things--a state of consciousness or being--(is God not called Being?) and the historical figure who had realization of that state and who taught the path leading to it's moment to moment experience. The historical Buddha was indeed a special being, like Jesus is to you, and Mohammed is to Muslims.

WTF are you talking about?

You said Buddha is a god, so is Buddaha a god or not?

It is not disrespectful to provide an opinion, it's common message board etiquette.

What is the way you tried to find common ground?

It's totally lame that kalam and others are using the same old tired argument that their religion isn't violent, that it's a small group of hard core militants, that most people aren't like that...
Dudes and dudettes, the fact is that Islam IS a violent religion, geez, you fucking killed people over cartoons! CARTOONS!!!! Killed a film maker, put out a religious hit contract (fatwa) on an author of fiction, and you kill daughters who don't agree to wear a sheet or agree to a forced marriage. Man, I could on and on (9/11, the saudi king just decreed that it's ok to beat your women)... And you have the audacity to use that old chestnut: it's not the religion that's violent?
Kalam, what color is the sky in your world?

Last edited:
It's totally lame that kalam and others are using the same old tired argument that their religion isn't violent, that it's a small group of hard core militants, that most people aren't like that...

Why is that lame when it's true?

http://www.muslimwestfacts.com/mwf/File/109477/Mainstream_Extremist_Views.pdf

Don't let factual data get in the way of your preconceptions, though. By all means, continue your pitiful attempts to degrade my religious beliefs without having actually read the Qur'an. You'll have much better luck among the "everything my holy book says is literally correct" crowd, but you do what you want.

It's lame because it's not true, just open your eyes and look around you which and how many imams are preaching what. Nearly all the clerics of Islam preach hate, fatwa and jihad...
And practically none come out against Osama, the Taliban, Sharia law, beheadings, stonings, hand chopping, wipping, pedophilia in imam sanctioned marriages, and a high placed Saudi sharia court judge said it was ok to beat your women if they spent a little too much of the husbands money frivolishly (he gave an example of a women who deserved to get beaten because she spent $200 on a burqa when she could have bought one for less). Not only is Islam violent, you all seem like you're insane.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Why is that lame when it's true?

http://www.muslimwestfacts.com/mwf/File/109477/Mainstream_Extremist_Views.pdf

Don't let factual data get in the way of your preconceptions, though. By all means, continue your pitiful attempts to degrade my religious beliefs without having actually read the Qur'an. You'll have much better luck among the "everything my holy book says is literally correct" crowd, but you do what you want.

I think Tofu Dog likes Muslims. That is why he's doing such a silly spoof of a Muslim hater.

Forum List

Back