Do you fear God?

Right, I don't care what atheists or other non-believers have to say on the subject. if I was going to buy a Toyota Camry I'd want to talk to people that owned them, not people that drive Chevy Suburbans.

You couldn't derail what was derailed since the 1st page. Thanks to all the atheists and non-believers for being respectful. Oh wait, you weren't, nm.

How is it you think you ought to be respected because you label yourself a Christian? Wouldn't you rather be respected for how to relate to others and demonstrate positive qualities?

We'd all like to have respect, but it's a two way street. You have to give it to get it. When you say you don't care what non-christians have to say about God you are disrespecting them.

Christians seem to think they are entitled to respect. No one is entitled to respect. Respect is earned and the best kind is across the board, regardless of what religious or non-religous labels you offer yourself.

Entitlement is the issue here. Equality kind regard.

Hi Sky. I don't care what you think on this subject either, you're not the demographic I was addressing. But thanks for stopping by.

BTW, I didn't ask anyone to respect me because I'm Christian. I asked them to be respectful regarding the purpose of the thread. I don't think I mentioned anything about Christians specifically, only atheists and other non-believers. I would be happy to hear the opinions of Jews or Muslims or any other "believer" types.

Hi Amanda.

Thanks for demonstrating my point about respect. You don't care what I think on this topic, that's a sign of being disrespect to me as a posting member of this message board. I don't respect you for being a Christian. I respect you for presenting your views on topics clearly and concisely, whether I agree with your views or not. You've excluded Buddhists in who you want to hear from, as a group. This is the religion forum. You're disrespectful to Buddhists. Was that your intention? Do Buddhists have anything to say about respect and the essence of what is to be respected in beings?

You make categories into who is worthy of respect and who isn't. I get it.

The purpose of the thread is to examine the question "Do you fear God?" All members are welcome to address that topic. Respect is on topic, because some consider fear or awe to be respect. I don't. I think respect is mutually inclusive regardless of whether someone believes in God or not. Especially, if one believes that all beings have the essence of God or Buddha within us.

BTW you don't get to tell members who can post on a thread and who can't. We are all responsible for making the environment inclusive for all members who post here. There are NO threads closed to certain members and open to others.

Last edited:
Right, I don't care what atheists or other non-believers have to say on the subject. if I was going to buy a Toyota Camry I'd want to talk to people that owned them, not people that drive Chevy Suburbans.

You couldn't derail what was derailed since the 1st page. Thanks to all the atheists and non-believers for being respectful. Oh wait, you weren't, nm.

How is it you think you ought to be respected because you label yourself a Christian? Wouldn't you rather be respected for how to relate to others and demonstrate positive qualities?

We'd all like to have respect, but it's a two way street. You have to give it to get it. When you say you don't care what non-christians have to say about God you are disrespecting them.

Christians seem to think they are entitled to respect. No one is entitled to respect. Respect is earned and the best kind is across the board, regardless of what religious or non-religous labels you offer yourself.

Her thread was about getting some perspective from others who actually believe. It wasn't about non-believers adding their two cents about how her belief is just a bunch of nonsense anyway. It certainly had nothing to do with entitlement either. It was a request for those responding to be of the faith and give their perspective, not for non-believers to ridicule Christian beliefs or make jokes about Gunny being god.

So i guess, in your view, anytime someone starts a thread, we should all just do our best to hijack or derail it. That is the kind of respect you seem to be supporting.

It's not really a problem for me, it's what I expected. Seems that "tolerance" for others beliefs is sort of a one way street for some.

Hi Sky. I don't care what you think on this subject either, you're not the demographic I was addressing. But thanks for stopping by.

BTW, I didn't ask anyone to respect me because I'm Christian. I asked them to be respectful regarding the purpose of the thread. I don't think I mentioned anything about Christians specifically, only atheists and other non-believers. I would be happy to hear the opinions of Jews or Muslims or any other "believer" types.

Hi Amanda.

Thanks for demonstrating my point about respect. You don't care what I think on this topic, that's a sign of being disrespect to me as a posting member of this message board.

You've excluded Buddhists in who you want to hear from, as a group. This is the religion forum. You're disrespectful to Buddhists.

The purpose of the thread is to examine the question "Do you fear God?" All members are welcome to address that topic.

Respect is on topic, because some consider fear or awe to be respect. I don't.

I think respect is mutually inclusive regardless of whether someone believes in God or not. Especially, if one believes that all beings have the essence of God or Buddha within us.

BTW you don't get to tell members who can post on a thread and who can't. I wasn't aware that you own the message board.

And thank you for demonstrating why I needed to ASK that the thread not b derailed. :)

I didn't disrespect you, I don't value your opinion because you aren't the demographic that matters to the question. What god do Buddhists believe in?

It's time for you to show a link where I made categories of people that deserve respect.

And BTW, I didn't TELL anyone they couldn't post, I ASKED if they would please not derail the thread. See, here's what I said:

Atheists and other non-believers I would really appreciate it if you could not derail the thread, I really want to hear what other believers think without the usual flaming that accompanies "religious" threads.

See? I asked them not to derail, I didn't say that anyone couldn't post.

At this point the question I do have for you is: Why do you care if believers want to get to know others beliefs better? You've tried twice now to derail the thread, so it must be pretty important to you that you stop this discussion.

Actually, I can give you guys some insight on this.

Go and read the book "The Tao is Silent" by Richard Smullyan. Turn to the chapter entitled "Is God a Taoist?", and you'll find a lot of answers.

Am I Buddhist? No. I can't get behind the idea that everyone is capable of becoming God, which is why I prefer Taoist philosophy. Incidentally, Tao and Judaism have quite a bit in common.

Do I fear Him? No more than I fear the government (which is bigger than me), or the Navy (which could cause me to do what they wanted). Just go by the rules (i.e. 10 Commandments, 7 Noahide commandments, or Yeshua's words "love one another as you would love yourselves, but love God above all else"), and you've got zero problems.

I don't fear God as much as respect Him.

It's not really a problem for me, it's what I expected. Seems that "tolerance" for others beliefs is sort of a one way street for some.

quote=Amanda
Atheists and other non-believers I would really appreciate it if you could not derail the thread, I really want to hear what other believers think without the usual flaming that accompanies "religious" threads.
:lol: Maybe you should try showing some tolerance before you think you should be entitled to it yourself.

Just a thought.

quote=Amanda
:lol: Maybe you should try showing some tolerance before you think you should be entitled to it yourself.

Just a thought.

When have I been intolerant? A link would be helpful. Thanks. :)

Never mind. I have plenty I could offer the topic, but you'd prefer not to discuss with me since I don't fit your demographics, lol. Buddhists are a great help to deists of all kinds by helping you really look at what you call God and to understand the broader implications of divinity outside the scope of the label G-O-D. Please keep your mind slammed shut, and/or narrow minded--that really makes you grow.

Hi Amanda.

Thanks for demonstrating my point about respect. You don't care what I think on this topic, that's a sign of being disrespect to me as a posting member of this message board.

You've excluded Buddhists in who you want to hear from, as a group. This is the religion forum. You're disrespectful to Buddhists.

The purpose of the thread is to examine the question "Do you fear God?" All members are welcome to address that topic.

Respect is on topic, because some consider fear or awe to be respect. I don't.

I think respect is mutually inclusive regardless of whether someone believes in God or not. Especially, if one believes that all beings have the essence of God or Buddha within us.

BTW you don't get to tell members who can post on a thread and who can't. I wasn't aware that you own the message board.

And thank you for demonstrating why I needed to ASK that the thread not b derailed. :)

I didn't disrespect you, I don't value your opinion because you aren't the demographic that matters to the question. What god do Buddhists believe in?

It's time for you to show a link where I made categories of people that deserve respect.

And BTW, I didn't TELL anyone they couldn't post, I ASKED if they would please not derail the thread. See, here's what I said:

See? I asked them not to derail, I didn't say that anyone couldn't post.

At this point the question I do have for you is: Why do you care if believers want to get to know others beliefs better? You've tried twice now to derail the thread, so it must be pretty important to you that you stop this discussion.

Last edited:

Go and read the book "The Tao is Silent" by Richard Smullyan. Turn to the chapter entitled "Is God a Taoist?", and you'll find a lot of answers.

Am I Buddhist? No. I can't get behind the idea that everyone is capable of becoming God, which is why I prefer Taoist philosophy. Incidentally, Tao and Judaism have quite a bit in common.

Do I fear Him? No more than I fear the government (which is bigger than me), or the Navy (which could cause me to do what they wanted). Just go by the rules (i.e. 10 Commandments, 7 Noahide commandments, or Yeshua's words "love one another as you would love yourselves, but love God above all else"), and you've got zero problems.

ABS, by definition you don't meet Amanda's demographics.

But, I am interested in whether you think there is any difference between God, the Tao, Allah or Buddha?

Do these paths equally promote fear as a way of life?

Never mind. I have plenty I could offer the topic, but you'd prefer not to discuss with me since I don't fit your demographics, lol. Buddhists are a great help to deists of all kinds by helping you really look at what you call God and to understand the broader implications of divinity outside the scope of the label G-O-D. Please keep your mind slammed shut, and/or narrow minded--that really makes you grow.

Oh now it's "nevermind" :lol:

I had expected a slightly more spirited comeback, but I guess you didn't have anything or you would have brought it out.

Speaking of closed minds.... I never said I didn't want atheists or non-believers not to post, I asked them not to derail the thread. If you had actually wanted to contribute I'm sure you would have, but that wasn't your purpose. :)

But, I am interested in whether you think there is any difference between God, the Tao, Allah or Buddha?

I think I'm going to go ahead and be the 1 to define my demographic, thanks. ABS has "God is my Sensei" in his sig, that qualifies him, IMO.

If you want to tell me which god Buddhists believe in I bet I can qualify you too. :)

Amanda, you better be a good lil beotch and not have (or have had) sex before marriage or you're going straight to hell. Be afraid of that.

quote=Amanda

Just a thought.

Amanda shows more tolerance than is warranted. Christians come here daily to be taunted, ridiculed and jeered at by people who would fling themselves on the floor, beat their fists, pull out their hair and probably sue if anyone dared to speak to them or their religion the way they see fit to speak of us and ours.

Sky Dancer is one of the least tolerant, pompous, addlepated twits who currently posts on here. SHe manages to combine nastiness with a disgustingly syrupy way of posting (and bad poetry) that is only surpassed by one other..and that one other poster is actually smarter (which if in my opinion doesn't say much for SD).

Sky has nothing to offer on the topic, which is why she bowed out. Other than lofty know-nothing vaporisms and smarmy, self-serving philosophy.

quote=Amanda

Just a thought.

Amanda shows more tolerance than is warranted. Christians come here daily to be taunted, ridiculed and jeered at by people who would fling themselves on the floor, beat their fists, pull out their hair and probably sue if anyone dared to speak to them or their religion the way they see fit to speak of us and ours.

Sky Dancer is one of the least tolerant, pompous, addlepated twits who currently posts on here. SHe manages to combine nastiness with a disgustingly syrupy way of posting (and bad poetry) that is only surpassed by one other..and that one other poster is actually smarter (which if in my opinion doesn't say much for SD).

Sky has nothing to offer on the topic, which is why she bowed out. Other than lofty know-nothing vaporisms and smarmy, self-serving philosophy.
Jeesh, I can't tell if you're talking about Sky or yourself.

Then they would shit themselves.

That makes it clear. I'm talking about Sky and Tofu.

Amanda, you better be a good lil beotch and not have (or have had) sex before marriage or you're going straight to hell. Be afraid of that.

Hi, welcome to USMB. Take a look around and get acquainted with the other posters.

Oh yeah, and since the other 100 times I've said it aren't completely obvious to those that just got here.... I have no illusions about going to heaven. I'm clearly unworthy and am just trying to make the best I can of this life.

שָׂטָן adversary; yes that would be consistent with the subtle God made beast in the garden. A perfect God made deceiver who may only be overcome through knowledge of God's perfect truth.

He is also a prosecutor/accuser.

Both descriptions are accurate.
How do you figure? Is it suggested or stated somewhere in the OT that Satan and God are secret pals? Is this conclusion drawn in any reputable exegeses? Or, like most people, are you simply making things up?

Fear God and keep his commandments; for this is the whole duty of man.
Ethical decisions that result from a fear of punishment connote a dearth of moral sensibility. Are you really choosing to do the "right" thing if you do so merely to avoid incurring "divine wrath"? Hardly. Moral decisions must be rooted in one's own ethical principles, whether or not those principles are based on the supposed products of divine revelation.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." - Galileo Galilei

I think I'm going to go ahead and be the 1 to define my demographic, thanks. ABS has "God is my Sensei" in his sig, that qualifies him, IMO.

If you want to tell me which god Buddhists believe in I bet I can qualify you too. :)

We have many meditational deities--and we have Buddha. You aren't qualified to have a deep conversation on the dvine essence (or Buddhist may use the terms the 'essence nature of mind'--or 'suchness' or 'that which is' or 'ultimate truth' or timeless awareness) that some label God, other's Allah and some Buddha. We might call what you call God 'the perfection of sublime knowing' . By your own admission, you don't like to think that deeply.

How much do you know about Taoism, Amanda? What is God to you Amanda? How many people of other spiritual tradtions besides your own have you talked to and how deeply do you understand their beliefs?

How deeply do you understand your own? Is God a He or a She or an It? Is your God limited by gender?

This is how we refer to what you would call God in my Buddhist tradtion:

"Indescribable, inconceivable, and inexpressible, the Perfeciton of Sublime Knowing is unborn and unceasing. The very nature of space. It is the realm of your own self-knowing timeless awareness. I pay homage to the mother of the Buddha's of the three times."
Heart Sutra, aka Prajnaparamita

Now as to whether this is feared or not. It is feared. We both desire union or inseparability with God or Buddha nature and we fear it--with good reason--it means the death of the ego and separation sense of self.

Last edited:

NO, ALLAH (may his name FOREVER be a curse....ptooie) is a DEMON, and isLAME (damn, I'm clever :eusa_think:) is a HATEFUL RELIGION that wants to KILL all who OPPOSE it.

(predicted ABS response)

Oh now it's "nevermind" :lol:

I had expected a slightly more spirited comeback, but I guess you didn't have anything or you would have brought it out.
Speaking of closed minds.... I never said I didn't want atheists or non-believers not to post, I asked them not to derail the thread. If you had actually wanted to contribute I'm sure you would have, but that wasn't your purpose. :)

You a slow reader? I responded further. I am contributing to the thread.

NO, ALLAH (may his name FOREVER be a curse....ptooie) is a DEMON, and isLAME (damn, I'm clever :eusa_think:) is a HATEFUL RELIGION that wants to KILL all who OPPOSE it.

(predicted ABS response)

I have as much respect for Allah as I have for God and Buddha. We use different terms, we have completely different methods for awakening to truth but ultimately all separtion is illusory.

Forum List

Back