Do you believe that mental illness is a

I believe some are medical and some are emotional. Nervous breakdown or depression = emotional. schizophrenia or psychosis...medical.

Depression ? Clinical depression ? Medical.

Throwing a wrench in here... Dil. Everyone gets sad about life's events. To say they don't would to apply a social path to their personality. What I think is so hard to decipher, is depression = sadness, to depression = mental illness.

I had a good freind get all bummed out about being dumped. So much so she went to a psychologist. Who in turn recommended medication. She wasn't mentally ill, she was just suffering normal saddness and loss. So I have a little hesitation to calling depression, a mental illness... however Clinical depression I don't.

Clinical Depression is not normal sadness. I have a chemical imbalance. Medication definitely helps. For most of my life I just dealt with my depression and toughed it out. Eventually that no longer worked and it took 10 years of to find the right combination of medicine and life conditions to let me function nearly normal again.

It was like night and day when we found the right medication. I went from nearly overpowering urges to kill myself on a daily bases to none at all. I went from a deep dark bottomless dark hole to being able to function nearly normal again.

Everyone has sadness, when it becomes uncontrollable and totally alters your life it is not just sadness anymore. 80 percent of clinical depression can be treated.

My condition was so bad that I tried electro shock treatments. From 1996 to 2000 I was in the hospital at least twice sometimes 3 times a year. When I finally broke and could not handle my depression anymore I spent 90 days in the Hospital just so I could handle not being in the hospital. 38 days first with a 5 day stint out, followed by 28 days and about a month out and then a final 14 day stay before I was put on Temporary Disabled Retired List.

I have been completely retired since September 1999. Even today I can not work and handle my depression. And it has been constant with no breaks. It never goes away, just now it is much easier to deal with.

IO wonder whether more mental illness occurs today per capita, or it's just more widely recognized. How might this fit into our model of human development? What sort of evolutionary pressure might this turn out to be?

oh, RGS- have they done MRI or CT scans? Can they show you this chemical imbalance- and not just the one cause4d by the meds? Usually, none can be detected save for what the meds cause.

there is no proof of any chemical imbalance that causes mental illness...none...i
that is not true in all cases
schizophrenia, for instance, shows abnormal brain activity, if I recall

no sorry there is ..no test ...of any kind for mental illness other than subjective observation
there is no Brain scan... no diagnostic test of any kind for any mental illness,,,there is no question about it

there is no proof of any chemical imbalance that causes mental illness...none...i

no sorry there is ..no test ...of any kind for mental illness other than subjective observation
there is no Brain scan... no diagnostic test of any kind for any mental illness,,,there is no question about it

Moron, that does not prove your point at all. And of course you conveniently ignore the YEARS of proof that medication does in fact lessen or eliminate mental illness.

By the way, there is now, according to a story I saw the other day, a test for dementia. Maybe you should look into that.

right..

schizophrenia_graphic_high_contrast.jpg

Source: E. Fuller Torrey, M.D., The Treatment Advocacy Center

and what are your qualifications for refuting the UoF?
n an article published in the current issue of the Journal of Biological Psychiatry, UF Brain Institute researchers report that by analyzing magnetic resonance imaging scans, they were able to correctly determine 77 percent of time which study participants had schizophrenia.
MRI Scans Reveal Subtle Brain Differences In People With Schizophrenia, UF Researchers Find

It's amazing what ten seconds on Google turns up...

there is no proof of any chemical imbalance that causes mental illness...none...it is a emotional/spiritual problem

Ohh look, the ignorant have spoken.

post a link that states there is a diagnostic test for mental illness or any proof of chemical imbalances or... shut up...

I do not need to. I am living proof medication works and we have decades of proof medication works on all kind of mental illness.

And there are Diagnostic procedures used to determine lots of mental illness. They consist of a series of questions.

post a link or shut up...dementia like a brain injury can be detected you fool because there is deterioration of the brain...like a blood clot ..or head injury..it is a medical condition ..not ...a so called mental illness the fact is there is no proof of the chemical imbalance theory...no test of any kind these are the facts...your a big boy ..you can choose to take drugs if you like ...but the facts remain

right..

schizophrenia_graphic_high_contrast.jpg

Source: E. Fuller Torrey, M.D., The Treatment Advocacy Center

and what are your qualifications for refuting the UoF?
n an article published in the current issue of the Journal of Biological Psychiatry, UF Brain Institute researchers report that by analyzing magnetic resonance imaging scans, they were able to correctly determine 77 percent of time which study participants had schizophrenia.
MRI Scans Reveal Subtle Brain Differences In People With Schizophrenia, UF Researchers Find

It's amazing what ten seconds on Google turns up...

this is a fraud or misleading perhaps the article attached to explains further ..but the very same brain structure occurs in people with out schizophrenia and schizophrenia occurs in people with out any abnormalities

FROM THE ARTICAL

Dr. John Kuldau, a professor of psychiatry in the UF College of Medicine and chief of psychiatry for the Malcom Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Gainesville. "But the disease is much more complicated than that. Like diabetes, it is thought to be caused by an interplay between genetic and environmental factors."

said Kuldau, who is now working to replicate the findings with other study participants.

its important to note these people have all been on brain damaging and altering chemicals for years prior to these test

Kuldau said brain anatomy should be viewed as "an informative intermediary step" between genes and the development of schizophrenia, rather than as a direct cause

all bullshit the claims of one as of yet not peer reviewed or replicated test

Last edited:
Ohh look, the ignorant have spoken.

post a link that states there is a diagnostic test for mental illness or any proof of chemical imbalances or... shut up...

I do not need to. I am living proof medication works and we have decades of proof medication works on all kind of mental illness.

And there are Diagnostic procedures used to determine lots of mental illness. They consist of a series of questions.

sugar pills work on a large number of people in psychosis as well..isnt that intresting

Recently there’s been a lot of media attention directed at the antidepressants versus placebo debate. It seems controlled studies have shown placebos, given unknowingly to a depressed patient, have gained as good results as giving the actual medication.

Antidepressants and the Placebo Debate

Placebo Treatment in Teenagers With Major Depressive Disorder
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/701842

I believe some are medical and some are emotional. Nervous breakdown or depression = emotional. schizophrenia or psychosis...medical.

Disagreeing. There absolutely are medical factors for depression, one of which is a chemical imbalance.

Depression ? Clinical depression ? Medical.

Throwing a wrench in here... Dil. Everyone gets sad about life's events. To say they don't would to apply a social path to their personality. What I think is so hard to decipher, is depression = sadness, to depression = mental illness.

I had a good freind get all bummed out about being dumped. So much so she went to a psychologist. Who in turn recommended medication. She wasn't mentally ill, she was just suffering normal saddness and loss. So I have a little hesitation to calling depression, a mental illness... however Clinical depression I don't.

The reason for the differentiation. There's an epidemic of people who say "I'm depressed." when what they really mean is "I'm deeply sad an hurt." In most cases, a therapist isn't required, let alone medication -- only an appropriate amount of grieving time based on the individual's needs.

Real depression is nothing like that, and generally is combined with other disorders, such as anxiety or paranoia, and it disables the person's ability to function on a daily basis in their "normal" routine.

FROM THE ARTICAL

Dr. John Kuldau, a professor of psychiatry in the UF College of Medicine and chief of psychiatry for the Malcom Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Gainesville. "But the disease is much more complicated than that. Like diabetes, it is thought to be caused by an interplay between genetic and environmental factors."

said Kuldau, who is now working to replicate the findings with other study participants.

its important to note these people have all been on brain damaging and altering chemicals for years prior to these test

Kuldau said brain anatomy should be viewed as "an informative intermediary step" between genes and the development of schizophrenia, rather than as a direct cause

all bullshit the claims of one as of yet not peer reviewed or replicated test

There is no doubt that psych meds have effects on the brain Chemistry. Often people with schizoprhenia would rather suffer their torment then suffer the side effects of their medications. There is also no doubt that medication work to help people suffering with a mental illness. That being said, there are more studies that prove Mental illness is real physical disease, then not.

Gee.... So the APA admits there is no test and that's conclusive evidence that the imbalance doesn't exist? Would that mean that prior to DNA testing you would have argued that DNA didn't exist?

Forum List

Back