Do We Have A Case?

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by LAfrique, Nov 9, 2011.

1. LAfrique

LAfrique VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Days ago, an abused Houston-area teenage girl who has unsuccessfully sought help from authorities committed suicide immediately after having tweeted hundreds of tweets describing her long ordeal, and all while being followed by several entities and by nosy Twitter police and big brother.

Why did Twitter police or online watchdog not intervene? On several occasions, I have had Twitter block my flamboyant tweets when tweet-related issues are hot and then conveniently display my tweets hours later when heat on tweet-related issues have subsided!

The traumatized girl, Miss Ashley Billasano of RosenbergÂ’s BF Terry High School, had skipped school and took to the internet hoping to get help and none came, even with several entities following her ordeal online! With all the alerts and surveillance, no help came to Ashley Billasano when it mattered.

Are there grounds to go after Twitter or nosy bog brother on issues such as this? If their nosiness cannot even intervene when a desperate youth needs help, why tolerate them?

Why Didn't They Intervene? - 18-Year-old Girl Tweets 144 Times before Committing Suicide

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    You don't have to tolerate Twitter. I've never been on Twitter in my life.

Here is your problem. The first question is, does Twitter, no matter how nosy they might be, have a duty to intervene?

I don't know what the Twitter police does, if they are looking for harassment, or on-line predators, they might not have a duty to intervene at all when someone is in distress no matter how severe.

3. LAfrique

LAfrique VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69

Really? Harassment is of greater concern than a desperate youth in dire need of assistance?

You know what? Sometimes I really believe I am in an era I belong not; I had simply time traveled to wrong era or dimension or universe.

4. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    I bet Gaddafi would have interviened.

5. Jackal

Jackal Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in history there are many examples of other countries to interfere in the internal affairs of independent countries. For example, Libya. Next country of Iran, and then Belarus. But if Iran's oil, why do we Belarus? Belarus is no oil. I found a video of what is happening in Belarus and Europe now. We are funding the opposition of those countries that we do not need, we say there violated human rights, and what is happening with us? Here is the video YouTube -} ziklon100 -} "Integration into the European Union!"

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I blame Bush.

7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Only twits tweet.

8. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Can I see some twat?

9. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,793
    Here's the deal, the D.A's office looked into the case and the Grand Jury decided there was not enough evidence to support an indictment. It's not hard to get an indictment and that should be a red flag that the 18 year old girl might have been disturbed. There is not enough information in the link to determine what the problem is. Does the story allege that some government agency should have intercepted 144 twitter messages?

10. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    That's because you want what should be instead of what is.

If the twitter police are supposed to be looking out for harassment, that's the extent of their duty of care. They just have no duty of care to someone in some other kind of distress. It's not a matter of concern. It is a matter of legal obligation.

Try this. Someone is hired to clean up trash on the beach and required to report any dead whales, dolphins or seals that wash up. While they are so engaged, they observe someone screaming for help drowning in the waves. Is there a legal duty to call for help? The answer is no. They don't. Suppose the person is a certified lifeguard, does that mean there is a duty to help or call for help? The answer is no. They don't.

I suppose the answer to your question as to whether or not there is a case is no, you don't.