Do Republicans Really Want to Cut Taxes on the Wealthy and Raise Them on Everyone Els

It's funny how the left pretends that Democrats didn't have a hand in creating the current tax structure which they feel unfairly benefits "the rich" at the expense of "the working class".

Idiots.

Republicans? Of course :lol:

keefe.jpg

Except there are no classes. We all work.

Please be more clueless.

I'd like to see everyone pay the same percentage. Less than 10%.

But then I like people being treated equally. We are Americans. We all have the responsibility to support our country. And we shouldn't put a burden on anyone else what we don't accept ourselves.

Why 10%? Where does this number come from? What data and research tells you that 10% is the right number? And 10% of what exactly?

But then I like people being treated equally. We are Americans. We all have the responsibility to support our country. And we shouldn't put a burden on anyone else what we don't accept ourselves.

But it's not equal. When you look at equality, you must look at how your "equal percentage" affects people. That is in no way equal. Less than 10% is never going to happen. I mean, maybe you have visions of killing government "sugar plums" dancing in your head... but it will never happen.

What we need is an equal BURDEN... not an equal percentage.

But it's not equal. When you look at equality, you must look at how your "equal percentage" affects people. That is in no way equal. Less than 10% is never going to happen. I mean, maybe you have visions of killing government "sugar plums" dancing in your head... but it will never happen.

I've never seen a proposal from the left that requires equal burden. It's all "tax the rich!!!' and half the wage earners pay nothing.

You may not have gotten the memo on this, Flaylo...but we've almost reached the point where fully 50% of the population pays no income tax at all while the top 5% hand over 50% of the taxes paid in this country. I'm not quite sure where the "fairness" is in that.

When you manipulate numbers, you can come up with figures like that. Unfortunately, it's a fallacy to the truth. First of all, you state that 50% pay no income taxes, and then go on to say that the top 5% pays over 50% of the taxes. What you fail to state is that the 50% who pay no federal "income tax" do pay payroll taxes. You also fail to include the fact that the top 5% of income earners pay very little in payroll taxes, which evens things out a great deal. On top of that, you are only including "income taxes" when you say the top 5% pays 50% of all taxes. This is an outright lie. They only pay around 30% of all federal taxes, yet they earn 45% of all income. Federal Income taxes only account for 40% of all federal revenues, so your statement is incorrect.

As for the 50% who do pay some in payroll taxes, they pay much higher rates in state taxes than the wealthy do. In all but a couple of states, the lowest income earners pay the highest percentage while the highest income earners pay the least.

How is what I posted a "fallacy"? I'm quite aware that the bottom 50% pay payroll taxes which is why I used the term "income tax". Here's the thing, Auditor...when the bottom 50% pays that payroll tax, on average they end up collecting far more out of the system than what they've paid in, which means in essence they aren't paying a tax at all.

I can understand that point of view. Of course, with that point of view, you would agree that if the wealthy only pay between 3 to 4 percent in state taxes, while the lowest income earners pay over 10 percent, then states should probably triple the rates on the wealthy so that the wealthy are paying an equal percentage to low income earners, right?

What I find so ironic is that so many middle income earners actually support reducing taxes on the wealthiest, even when those taxes have already been reduced to the lowest levels in over 60 years, while at the same time insisting we stick it to the lowest of income earners, the ones who can't even afford health insurance, and can barely afford to put food on the table. I'm not talking about those stuck in the welfare cycle from one generation to the next; that is an entirely different issue. I'm talking about those who work 40 or more hours per week, but due to whatever circumstance are stuck in low paying jobs with basically no benefits. And if many of you had it your way, you would have them pay the same amount as the wealthy in federal income taxes. And what is wrong with that you say? Well, when you include all other taxes paid, that would then make the poorest Americans the highest taxed and the wealthiest the lowest taxed, and that is not even close to being logical or intelligent.

And how exactly is placing the same percentage of taxation on every American not placing an equal burden on them? If everyone has to pay 5% of their income. Then their burden is all the same. It's 5%.

And less than 10% can and will happen if people like you stop pretending it can't.

What's amazing is Ben Franklin and many in his day considered 10% and extremely high tax burden. And you think it's not enough. Do you honestly believe the government should be forcing Americans to work till atleast April before they see a cent of their own money?

Why 10%? Where does this number come from? What data and research tells you that 10% is the right number? And 10% of what exactly?

I dont think the government should be making people work more than 1.2 months to pay them off. In fact, I think that's a very high percentage.

Ben Franklin argued that a government taxing it's people at 10% would be a grievous burden on the people.

And quite frankly, God only asks for 10% and He gives us everything. Why the heck should we be giving our politicians more to play with than God Himself asks for when they give us nothing.

And how exactly is placing the same percentage of taxation on every American not placing an equal burden on them? If everyone has to pay 5% of their income. Then their burden is all the same. It's 5%.

And less than 10% can and will happen if people like you stop pretending it can't.

What's amazing is Ben Franklin and many in his day considered 10% and extremely high tax burden. And you think it's not enough. Do you honestly believe the government should be forcing Americans to work till atleast April before they see a cent of their own money?

Because 10% on a family of four making $30k/year is huge. 10% on a family of four bringing in $1M+ is a nuisance.

Forum List

Back