Do Not Be Without a Gun

Yes. I asked what made gun owners so special. You haven't even tried to answer that yet.
The people in the West Freeway Church of Christ in Texas could answer that for you.

My only question for now is what is it about owning a gun that endows incredible restraint. That is the claim that has been made. Do you think attending that particular church endows all gun owners with incredible restraint?

No....that isn't what was said, and you have been shown that that isn't what was said......it was stated they showed restraint......it was not put forward that the gun endowed it....you are lying about what was said....because you can't address the truth...

You guys tell us that normal people with guns will not be able to handle them in an attack.......this church shooting, with that video puts lie to that theory.......as do the statistics about the over 18.6 million people who carry guns for self defense.......

I have been asking what does give gun owners, specifically, the incredible restraint that has been claimed. If owning a gun is not the thing that gives gun owners incredible restraint, what characteristic other than owning a gun imparts that ability to gun owners?
Why is it that you think other people don't have restraint?

Do you ask where the restraint of a person who doesn't drink when he knows he will be driving comes from?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Many people use some restraint in a wide range of ways. The claim that gun owners display incredible restraint has been made. I'm merely asking what is it about gun owners that makes them so much more inclined to "INCREDIBLE" restraint than a non gun owner would? Does owning a gun impart the incredible restraint that they supposedly enjoy, or is there something else that is gun-owner specific that gives them this restraint?

I haven't argued against either of those things in this thread. I did say it takes a coward to feel so afraid of real life till they think they need to be armed 24/7.

Why begrudge law-abiding people for wanting to carry a gun? Why do you attack and ridicule them? Responsible, capable citizens SHOULD carry, in my view. Why do attack such people?

Cowards who feel the need to be armed 24/7 deserve to be ridiculed. Of course that doesn't include cops or military, or anyone with a legitimate reason to be armed. I'm just talking about the cowards who are afraid to interact with the real world without being armed.

The 1.1 million Americans a year who use their guns legally to save lives from rape, robbery and murder show the legitimate reason people want to own and carry guns...

The people in that church...in that video for the world to see, show the legitimate reason they had good people carrying guns....

Guns save lives......that is the legitimate reason to carry one.

According to the NRA's definition, the White Settlement shooter was just another good guy with a gun right up until he opened fire in that church, and had the benefit of the NRA tirelessly fighting to protect his right to have and carry as many guns as he wanted.
Here we go again with the everyone is a murderer in waiting theory

What policy or stated goal of the NRA would have classed that shooter as anything other than a "good guy with a gun" before the instant when he opened fire in that church? We are all aware of their effort to guarantee all good guys with a gun be able to have as many guns as they want, even if they are batshit crazy like the shooter was.

Cowards who feel the need to be armed 24/7 deserve to be ridiculed. Of course that doesn't include cops or military, or anyone with a legitimate reason to be armed. I'm just talking about the cowards who are afraid to interact with the real world without being armed.

You'd prefer a woman be raped and strangled rather than shoot her attacker. Why do you despise women?

That is such an absurd accusation, but not totally unexpected from a gun nut.
But women who carry are cowards according to you

Women who carry 24/7 are cowards as well. Don't get me wrong. There are times when carrying a weapon makes sense. Those times aren't 24/7 for the vast majority of Americans.
No one carries 24/7

No one carries in the shower or while they are sleeping or making love.

Therefore no one who carries a gun for a portion of the time is a coward by your own definition

You're nit picking now. Many cowards here claim to be armed 24/7. I doubt all those people shower with the gun strapped on themselves, but I have no doubt it is within easy reach of them.

You'd prefer a woman be raped and strangled rather than shoot her attacker. Why do you despise women?

Women who carry 24/7 are cowards as well. Don't get me wrong. There are times when carrying a weapon makes sense. Those times aren't 24/7 for the vast majority of Americans.
No one carries 24/7

No one carries in the shower or while they are sleeping or making love.

Therefore no one who carries a gun for a portion of the time is a coward by your own definition

You're nit picking now. Many cowards here claim to be armed 24/7. I doubt all those people shower with the gun strapped on themselves, but I have no doubt it is within easy reach of them.
No I'm not I am stating an absolute truth.

Most people who carry only do so for a portion of the day where and when it makes the most sense for them.

So by your definition those that only carry some of the time are not cowards

And who has claimed to be armed 24\7?

Can you quote the posts where those people said that?

Why begrudge law-abiding people for wanting to carry a gun? Why do you attack and ridicule them? Responsible, capable citizens SHOULD carry, in my view. Why do attack such people?

The 1.1 million Americans a year who use their guns legally to save lives from rape, robbery and murder show the legitimate reason people want to own and carry guns...

The people in that church...in that video for the world to see, show the legitimate reason they had good people carrying guns....

According to the NRA's definition, the White Settlement shooter was just another good guy with a gun right up until he opened fire in that church, and had the benefit of the NRA tirelessly fighting to protect his right to have and carry as many guns as he wanted.

What policy or stated goal of the NRA would have classed that shooter as anything other than a "good guy with a gun" before the instant when he opened fire in that church? We are all aware of their effort to guarantee all good guys with a gun be able to have as many guns as they want, even if they are batshit crazy like the shooter was.

It's to the NRA to say who is legally eligible to own or carry a firearm and it never has been.

Pussy?? lol

I'm gonna guess you're a democrat who thinks the world is all rainbows and unicorns. :)

And you’re a republican who’s afraid of his own shadow.

Do yourself a favor and stay home because the world is a very scary place.
That's cute. A snowflake giving me advice to stay safe. :)

Are you afraid to face every day life without a gun?
Seeing how everyday life is full of criminal scum that your kind release to prey on us, you'd be crazy not to have a gun. Seems like almost everyday there's a story about a violent criminal being released that murders someone. Everyone should carry a gun for protection against your kind.

I never have a gun and probably will never have one for the rest of my life. I traveled all over the country and my cities in California.

Honestly I am more scared of people like you owning a gun. A white dude going around killing group of people like schools and bars. We heard that several times last year.

And yet...nothing you believe is supported by reality or truth.......you have "feelings" from your isolated experience......

The truth?

Over the last 26 years, we went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 18.6 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2018...guess what happened...

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

And Americans use their legal guns 1.1 million times a year to save lives....from rape, robbery and murder.......according to the Centers for Disease Control research.....and the Church Shooting...how do you explain that? It was stopped in 6 seconds....

And where did I say it was the ownership of the gun that was responsible for the existence of that restraint?

I never said that

I said gun owners SHOW incredible restraint

I never once mentioned the source of that restraint was the gun

YOU said that
Yes. I asked what made gun owners so special. You haven't even tried to answer that yet.

I never said they were special

I said gun owners show incredible restraint in the use of their guns. I know this because the vast majority of gun owners will never shoot anyone and will never commit crimes with their guns.

And you didn't ask what made gun owners so special you asked

So just owning a gun gives you incredible restraint?

You can't even keep track of your own questions

The fantasy that anti-gun extremists create in their minds is that anyone, excluding them.......who owns a gun and carries it for self defense is just waiting for a chance to murder someone for the flimsiest of excuses....just as long as they get to pull out the weapon and kill...

That is what they have created in their mind and there is no getting it out of that tiny brain in that head........

The truth is that normal people simply want to be left alone, but understand that there are evil people in the world. They understand this the way they understand that they can drive a car as safely as possible and still, car accidents happen. So normal people, who want to be prepared, buy a gun and many times carry it on the off chance something horrible happens. They put on the holster with as much emotion as putting on a seat belt, with no thought other than what they need to be doing when they are out of the house.

To the insane gun grabber.....they can't see that. They project their own mental instability on the normal person who buys a gun for self defense.......you can see their instability by the way they post about gun owners even after fact after fact about those gun owners is presented.....

Violent criminals seek weak targets for attack, particularly women, the elderly, the disabled, etc. They are especially vulnerable but a gun can be the equalizer in their favor. BULLDOG calls them "cowards". What an asshole.

True.

You assumed everyone or victims is at the right place at the right time to pull their gun.

You assumed that everyone I mean all should be armed just like Chicago ghetto place.

Just imagine if we followed your fantasy that all Americans should own a guns.......
Just imagine if everyone I mean ALL citizens are armed running around cities with guns.

What do you think will happen? Did you make the country safer? Or deadlier?

ust imagine if everyone I mean ALL citizens are armed running around cities with guns.

We don't have to imagine...we have over 27 years of experience that show you don't understand the issue.....

Over the last 27 years, we went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 18.6 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2018...guess what happened...

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

The anti-gun hypothesis and argument.....

More Guns = More Gun crime regardless of any other factors.

Actual Result:

In the U.S....as more Americans own and carry guns over the last 26 years, gun murder down 49%, gun crime down 75%, violent crime down 72%

The result: Exact opposite of theory of anti-gunners....

In Science when you have a theory, when that theory is tested....and the exact opposite result happens...that means your theory is wrong. That is science....not left wing wishful thinking.

Whatever the crime rate does......as more Americans owned more guns the crime rate did not go up....so again...

Maine tops ‘safest states’ rankings four years after removing major gun restriction

When Maine passed a “Constitutional Carry” law allowing Maine residents to carry a concealed firearm without any special permit in 2015, opponents of the law forecast a dangerous future for the state. They said the new law would hurt public safety and put Maine kids at risk.

One state representative who opposed the bill went so far as to say it would give Mainers a reason to be afraid every time they went out in public or to work.

Another state representative suggested the law would lead to violent criminals with recent arrests and convictions legally carrying handguns.

-----

Now four years later, Maine has been named the safest state in the nation according to US News and World Report’s public safety rankings, which measures the fifty states based on crime data.

Ranking as the top safest state for violent crime and fourth for property crime, Maine edges out another New England state, Vermont, for the top spot. Of note, Vermont also is a “Constitutional Carry” state. New Hampshire ranks third in the national rankings, giving New England all three of the top spots in the nation.

In 2018, Maine was edged out by Vermont in the same “safest states” ranking, but declared the best state overall in the broader “Crime and Corrections” category.

In 2017, using a different methodology, Maine was ranked second among the fifty states in the “Crime and Corrections” category and also second in the categories used to rank the “safest states.”

The U.S. News and World Report “Best States” rankings are built in partnership with McKinsey & Company, a firm that works closely with state leaders around the nation.

Maine has also ranked at the top of other state rankings. WalletHub.com recently ranked Maine second in “Personal and Residential Safety” among the fifty states, and third overall.

It has everything to do with your question....and because it points to the truth, you need to hide from it.......it destroys your entire argument against people owning and carrying guns for self defense.

I haven't argued against either of those things in this thread. I did say it takes a coward to feel so afraid of real life till they think they need to be armed 24/7.

It happened that the hero in that church is a gun trainer instructor. Not just a regular dude walking around with a gun.....

Like I just posted. Your fantasy of everyone should own a gun I mean ALL in my opinion is a bad idea. Just imagine if everyone is running around with guns.
Did you make this country safer or deadlier?

I have a very large pools of (good people) friends plus others and just about 95+% doesn’t own a single gun.

There were 4 or 5 other people with guns in that church....they did not shoot out of control, they did not fire their weapons when the threat was over, they did not accidentally shoot anyone, they did not shoot at the police by mistake, the police did not shoot them.....

Nothing you feel about the situation happened.......

It has everything to do with your question....and because it points to the truth, you need to hide from it.......it destroys your entire argument against people owning and carrying guns for self defense.

No, he wasn't just a good guy with a gun...he had mental health issues.....and likely previous run ins with law enforcement....

You state things that aren't accurate or true......

The people in the West Freeway Church of Christ in Texas could answer that for you.

My only question for now is what is it about owning a gun that endows incredible restraint. That is the claim that has been made. Do you think attending that particular church endows all gun owners with incredible restraint?

No....that isn't what was said, and you have been shown that that isn't what was said......it was stated they showed restraint......it was not put forward that the gun endowed it....you are lying about what was said....because you can't address the truth...

You guys tell us that normal people with guns will not be able to handle them in an attack.......this church shooting, with that video puts lie to that theory.......as do the statistics about the over 18.6 million people who carry guns for self defense.......

I have been asking what does give gun owners, specifically, the incredible restraint that has been claimed. If owning a gun is not the thing that gives gun owners incredible restraint, what characteristic other than owning a gun imparts that ability to gun owners?

Do you ask where the restraint of a person who doesn't drink when he knows he will be driving comes from?

Many people use some restraint in a wide range of ways. The claim that gun owners display incredible restraint has been made. I'm merely asking what is it about gun owners that makes them so much more inclined to "INCREDIBLE" restraint than a non gun owner would? Does owning a gun impart the incredible restraint that they supposedly enjoy, or is there something else that is gun-owner specific that gives them this restraint?

Those who legally carry a gun tend to be more responsible.....because carrying a gun is a major responsiblity.....with dire consequences if you use it improperly. And again, Statistics show that those who legally carry guns are more law abiding than the average citizen, and more law abiding than sworn police officers........

The people in that church, carrying their legal guns did show calm and restraint, no matter how you try to pretend they didn't.......they didn't fire when the threat was already over, they didn't accidentally shoot anyone else, and they didn't get into a mistaken shooting match with responding police...

Nothing you guys feel about this issue happened....

His history of mental health issues. Was he adjudicated as being dangerously mentally ill?

And in 2018.....12 people out of 320 million people engaged in mass public shootings....got the percent on that?

In 2019...10 people out of 320,000,000 engaged in mass public shootings...care to put a percentage to that?

You have no rational point.....600 million guns in private hands, over 18.6 million people carrying guns for self defense....and did what you fear happen?

No.

What actually happened?

Gun murder down 49%...how do you explain that?

Gun crime down 75%....how do you explain that?

Violent crime down 72%....how do you explain that?

Answer the question coward.

No moron, they are not given a power of restraint, no one says they are.......you seem to be seeking to make a lame point.

The statistics....the truth, that thing you hide from.....shows that normal Americans with guns show amazing levels of restraint when it comes to using their guns or not using their guns. You can't deny that, so you come up with silly games to hide that truth.

As more Americans own and carry guns for self defense.....from about 4.7 million back in the 1990s, to now more than 18.6 million....our gun murder rate went down 49%....our gun crime rate went down 75%....showing that normal people who own and carry guns are not driven to violence because they own guns...

You can't hide that fact. That fact destroys the entire basis for your desire to take guns away from normal people.

Other research goes on to show that people with concealed carry permits are actually more law abiding than the average citizen, and even more law abiding than sworn police officers.

That is a fact...a fact you hate because it too undermines your argument about guns causing crime and violence.

Over the last 26 years, we went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 18.6 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2018...guess what happened...

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

The anti-gun hypothesis and argument.....

More Guns = More Gun crime regardless of any other factors.

Actual Result:

In the U.S....as more Americans own and carry guns over the last 26 years, gun murder down 49%, gun crime down 75%, violent crime down 72%

The result: Exact opposite of theory of anti-gunners....

In Science when you have a theory, when that theory is tested....and the exact opposite result happens...that means your theory is wrong. That is science....not left wing wishful thinking.

Whatever the crime rate does......as more Americans owned more guns the crime rate did not go up....so again...

While all of that is interesting, and , as always, I'm impressed with your vast stores of cut and paste rhetoric that you can access on a moment's notice, it has nothing to do with what I asked. The claim has been made that gun owners use incredible restraint. I just asked what the source of that restraint is. I can only see a few possibilities, and no gun nut has offered any other theories yet,

1. Buying a gun imparts incredible restraint on the purchaser.
2. Gun owners naturally have incredible restraint, even before they purchase a gun. For some reason, these people who possess that incredible restraint are the only, or vast majority of people who ever purchase a gun.

Either way, identifying a segment of the population that has incredible restraint is notable, and worthy of study to find why those people share that particular characteristic. Of course, if it was just a bullshit remark, it wouldn't be that much different than so many other bullshit remarks that gun nuts spout all the time.

Again, great cut and paste, it just had nothing to do with my question

Very simple.They are liberal idiots. Detatched from reality.

It is obviously not a bullshit claim since people with concealed carry permits are some of the most law abiding people in the country
Do Not Be Without a Gun

So just owning a gun gives you incredible restraint

YOU said this I never did

I said

Do Not Be Without a Gun

And contrary to your uninformed opinion gun owners actually show incredible restraint in the use of their firearms

So you see I never once said the gun imbues gun owners with restraint YOU said that and you insist on telling me I said it

You know your remarks don't just disappear. don't you? Here is the interaction you are whining about.
View attachment 297540

And where did I say it was the ownership of the gun that was responsible for the existence of that restraint?

I never said that

I said gun owners SHOW incredible restraint

I never once mentioned the source of that restraint was the gun

YOU said that

The restraint is a characteristic, which becomes evident while the gun is carried. It is simply something within the gun owner who carries that gun and restrains himself from using it, except when absolutely necessary.

Why do you ask silly questions, with obvious answers ?

:disagree:

It's to the NRA to say who is legally eligible to own or carry a firearm and it never has been.

It''s up to them to decide which things they want to to advocate, and up to their bought and paid for politicians to push those goals in congress.

No, he wasn't just a good guy with a gun...he had mental health issues.....and likely previous run ins with law enforcement....

According to the NRA, neither his mental health issues or previous run ins with the law were grounds to prevent him from being armed.

Those who legally carry a gun tend to be more responsible.....because carrying a gun is a major responsiblity.....with dire consequences if you use it improperly. And again, Statistics show that those who legally carry guns are more law abiding than the average citizen, and more law abiding than sworn police officers........

The people in that church, carrying their legal guns did show calm and restraint, no matter how you try to pretend they didn't.......they didn't fire when the threat was already over, they didn't accidentally shoot anyone else, and they didn't get into a mistaken shooting match with responding police...

Nothing you guys feel about this issue happened....

By that reasoning, people who drink tend to be more responsible for the same reason, unless you can show something specifically about gun ownership that is different.

His history of mental health issues. Was he adjudicated as being dangerously mentally ill?

And in 2018.....12 people out of 320 million people engaged in mass public shootings....got the percent on that?

In 2019...10 people out of 320,000,000 engaged in mass public shootings...care to put a percentage to that?

You have no rational point.....600 million guns in private hands, over 18.6 million people carrying guns for self defense....and did what you fear happen?

No.

What actually happened?

Gun murder down 49%...how do you explain that?

Gun crime down 75%....how do you explain that?

Violent crime down 72%....how do you explain that?

He was found mentally competent to face trial. in 2013. What did the NRA see about him that would justify removal of his right to be armed? He was a textbook example of a good guy with a gun.

According to the NRA, neither his mental health issues or previous run ins with the law were grounds to prevent him from being armed.

And that is a lie......please link to this NRA policy....

This doesn't sound right. :link:

Forum List

Back