Do liberals realize how asinine it is to compare the actual Taliban to the Christian Right?

word choice takes energy AND time when you know your choice of words will be met with requests for explanation.

And you cannot tell me that the administration did not expect a multitude of requests for explanation.

THAT is why it is a flawed premise.

I'm not even familiar with this word choice "issue" --- because it isn't one. As I said -- petty. As I also said, actions are more important than whether this or that politician uses a phraseology on which I bestow my esteemed imprimatur.

But then I don't try to control other people's speech. Your mileage may vary.
when attempting to put together a coalition against an enemy, it would make sense to refer to the enemy the same as your allies.

It is an attempt to manufacture a controversy in my eyes....and they counted on folks like you to support their position in the controversy...the controversy that never had to be.

As you said...what difference does word choice make? If it makes none, why choose words that you know would create a controversy?

Whatever. :eusa_hand: You want to get all hung up on phraseology, that's your problem.
Actually, it was the administration that got stuck on phraseology and they counted on folks like you to defend it.

But you deflected from my question of..."if it doesn't matter what words were used, then why did the administration opt to use words they knew would create a controversy?

But not to worry. I know why you deflected from the question. If I held your position, I would have done the same.

I guess I'll have to repeat until it starts to sink in -- I'm not even familiar with this what-you-think-is-a "controversy". If it passed my desk I turned the page and moved on to something that actually matters.

I mean I love words as much as anybody but running around with one's hair on fire because some politico-clown didn't use a phrase I wanted him to use is just goddamn silly.
Actually, the president of the united states altered the narrative as it pertains to our enemy.

It is not unusual for the people to ask "why".

And I find it disturbing that the administration ridicules those that ask why....and they have folks like you downplaying it as opposed to wondering why as well.

You know, they said that lack of intense and detailed questions by the people is one reason as to why Bush got away with his desire to invade Iraq.

So we vote in a man that says he will ensure something like that will never happen again....yet when we ask him questions, he ridicules us.

Cool.

I'm not even familiar with this word choice "issue" --- because it isn't one. As I said -- petty. As I also said, actions are more important than whether this or that politician uses a phraseology on which I bestow my esteemed imprimatur.

But then I don't try to control other people's speech. Your mileage may vary.
when attempting to put together a coalition against an enemy, it would make sense to refer to the enemy the same as your allies.

It is an attempt to manufacture a controversy in my eyes....and they counted on folks like you to support their position in the controversy...the controversy that never had to be.

As you said...what difference does word choice make? If it makes none, why choose words that you know would create a controversy?

Whatever. :eusa_hand: You want to get all hung up on phraseology, that's your problem.
Actually, it was the administration that got stuck on phraseology and they counted on folks like you to defend it.

But you deflected from my question of..."if it doesn't matter what words were used, then why did the administration opt to use words they knew would create a controversy?

But not to worry. I know why you deflected from the question. If I held your position, I would have done the same.

I guess I'll have to repeat until it starts to sink in -- I'm not even familiar with this what-you-think-is-a "controversy". If it passed my desk I turned the page and moved on to something that actually matters.

I mean I love words as much as anybody but running around with one's hair on fire because some politico-clown didn't use a phrase I wanted him to use is just goddamn silly.
Actually, the president of the united states altered the narrative as it pertains to our enemy.

It is not unusual for the people to ask "why".

And I find it disturbing that the administration ridicules those that ask why....and they have folks like you downplaying it as opposed to wondering why as well.

You know, they said that lack of intense and detailed questions by the people is one reason as to why Bush got away with his desire to invade Iraq.

So we vote in a man that says he will ensure something like that will never happen again....yet when we ask him questions, he ridicules us.

Cool.
Bored-people-007.jpg

When, during a debate, your opponent deflects from answering a question, he/she is admitting being weak in their position.
When, during a debate, your opponent attacks your intelligence or implies your position is irrelevant without supporting it, he/she is admitting begin weak in their position.

Been fun Pogo,

Cya,

Ouch. That hurt.
But I guess it made you feel better, so I am good with it.

I'm not defending the CR here in the least. Have at them all you want. I really don't care about that. What I care about is how eager liberals are to belittle the oppression of the Afghan people and compare the group doing it to Westboro Baptist protesting funerals or Pat Robertson saying stupid shit on tv. There is no comparison. The CR makes a habit of alienating rhetoric and introducing unconstitutional legislation. The Taliban makes a habit of planting IEDs by the roads and strapping explosives onto children. The CR makes dumb comments about birth control being a Satanic plot. The Taliban murders midwives for giving women birth control. The CR keeps the death penalty around. The Taliban stone rape victims to death for committing adultery against their future husbands. There really just isn't a comparison here. If you still think the Taliban are harmless crazies no different than our televangelists, then I'd be more than happy to get you a plane ticket to Kabul. You can see for yourself before the brainwashed fifteen year old kid screams "ALLAH AKHBAR" and takes out the fifteen foot radius around you.

So an anti-abortionist blowing up a building is different from Talibani blowing up a building how, exactly?

I guess the stunned silence means that no one can discern a difference.

The correct answer is, 'RWnuts don't tacitly support the Taliban bombings.'

Just because the Taliban is a much more extreme example of conservative theocracy does not mean the comparison isn't valid. It's only a matter of degree but the impulse to use the Law to enforce a narrow, rigid view of morality is the same.

Any religion is potentially dangerous if its believers are sufficiently motivated. They'll do anything in God's name, because God will promise them heavenly paradise.

No. The only time religion is *dangerous* is when the state interjects itself into matters of faith.

Obviously that's not true; you don't need a State to be dangerous. It may help if your State is complicit in hanging black people or burning women as witches, but it's not actually required. Eric Rudolph didn't need the State to help him blow up abortion clinics and a lesbian bar. Scott Roeder didn't need State assistance to walk into a church and gun down Dr. Tiller. Just as Islamofanatics didn't need the State to burst into Charlie Hebdo. Etc etc etc.

Wow, you are delusional.

The ONLY time religion poses a threat to mankind is when yahoos like you start to try to restrict (certain or all) religion.
We had a time when religion reigned supreme with no restrictions. This era was called the "dark ages".

No. The only time religion is *dangerous* is when the state interjects itself into matters of faith.

Obviously that's not true; you don't need a State to be dangerous. It may help if your State is complicit in hanging black people or burning women as witches, but it's not actually required. Eric Rudolph didn't need the State to help him blow up abortion clinics and a lesbian bar. Scott Roeder didn't need State assistance to walk into a church and gun down Dr. Tiller. Just as Islamofanatics didn't need the State to burst into Charlie Hebdo. Etc etc etc.

Those were wacked out individuals. They are nothing close to ISIS you Liberals on this thread are behaving like idiots in order to exercize your hatred for Christians. that must be it, because theres no other rational reason I can see. Im not a southerner, maybe you guys are? and have a better feel for what happened in the South , But as I see it that was about racism, and lingering anger over the civil war, Not about Christianity. You can argue that point. But lets look at whats happening today instead of going back to the 1920s or the 1800s,

ISIS is currently waging a war on civilization, Christians send aid workers to other countries and run charitable organizations. I know your hatred runs so deep, none of that matters to you.

Yeah I know, I know, when "they" do it it's all about evil religion, when "we" do it it's "wacked-out individuals". Having it both ways: Priceless. Sorry, this is as old as the hills.

Has nothing to do with "hating" or "supporting" any religion; it has to do with simple logic. Double standard in this case, and self-delusion. You are correct about the motivations in the South; it's a political/cultural background. It's always a political/cultural background. Religion is used as a convenient crutch, first to justify brutality, then to blanket-condemn it.

Religion in itself doesn't do a goddam thing. It's those who use it as a tool -- either way -- who do.
The point here is that if you choose a standard for one, then you apply it to all. This "it's different when we do it" crapola is just...

:lame2:

Which ever way you twist words around, comparing Christians to the ISIS or the Taliban is ludicris, If you wanted to compare religion for religion, (Christianity to Islam),
then you have a basis to debate on. Comparing Christians to ISIS is like comparing ISLAM to a specific radical Christian movement.

Yes. It is. Good, stay with that.

Christian groups are building orphanages and Hospitals. ISIS and the Taliban blow them up , or burn them down.

The Taliban and ISIS are not a few wacked out individuals, they are dangerous organized movements of which we have nothing here in the US.

--- and now you're back to cherrypicking.
Oh well. Was a glimmer of hope while it lasted.

Its not Cherry picking,
I'm not defending the CR here in the least. Have at them all you want. I really don't care about that. What I care about is how eager liberals are to belittle the oppression of the Afghan people and compare the group doing it to Westboro Baptist protesting funerals or Pat Robertson saying stupid shit on tv. There is no comparison. The CR makes a habit of alienating rhetoric and introducing unconstitutional legislation. The Taliban makes a habit of planting IEDs by the roads and strapping explosives onto children. The CR makes dumb comments about birth control being a Satanic plot. The Taliban murders midwives for giving women birth control. The CR keeps the death penalty around. The Taliban stone rape victims to death for committing adultery against their future husbands. There really just isn't a comparison here. If you still think the Taliban are harmless crazies no different than our televangelists, then I'd be more than happy to get you a plane ticket to Kabul. You can see for yourself before the brainwashed fifteen year old kid screams "ALLAH AKHBAR" and takes out the fifteen foot radius around you.

So an anti-abortionist blowing up a building is different from Talibani blowing up a building how, exactly?

What the Anti -abortionist did is illegal and when the perpetrator is caugfht, he's arrested. what the taliban does in blowing up schools or hospitals, is just part of their overall terror campaign, to beat a population into submission. openly done. I dont know who determines who the Christian Right is, but you seem to think all Christians on the right blow up buildings or approve the murder of doctors. You have absolutely no proof when you tar brush a huge number of Americans. The scope of what ISIS and the Taliban are doing is plain to see.

WATCH The ISIS Dumping Victims In What Seems To Be The BOTTOMLESS PIT - Walid Shoebat

I can show you video after video of this crap as you can also look up yourself. For the left to accuse Americans here of being the same? having the same mindset as these people is just a Fucking lie.

You all always bring up theh Southern treatment of Blacks, but people here have worked hard to change these things . Do you all deny that? So in the face of our enemies Your the ones who want to divide us, take us back to 1865 and tell us how bad, America is, regardless of people trying to make amends here. Thank you all for being so Progressive.

Those were wacked out individuals. They are nothing close to ISIS you Liberals on this thread are behaving like idiots in order to exercize your hatred for Christians. that must be it, because theres no other rational reason I can see. Im not a southerner, maybe you guys are? and have a better feel for what happened in the South , But as I see it that was about racism, and lingering anger over the civil war, Not about Christianity. You can argue that point. But lets look at whats happening today instead of going back to the 1920s or the 1800s,

ISIS is currently waging a war on civilization, Christians send aid workers to other countries and run charitable organizations. I know your hatred runs so deep, none of that matters to you.

Yeah I know, I know, when "they" do it it's all about evil religion, when "we" do it it's "wacked-out individuals". Having it both ways: Priceless. Sorry, this is as old as the hills.

Has nothing to do with "hating" or "supporting" any religion; it has to do with simple logic. Double standard in this case, and self-delusion. You are correct about the motivations in the South; it's a political/cultural background. It's always a political/cultural background. Religion is used as a convenient crutch, first to justify brutality, then to blanket-condemn it.

Religion in itself doesn't do a goddam thing. It's those who use it as a tool -- either way -- who do.
The point here is that if you choose a standard for one, then you apply it to all. This "it's different when we do it" crapola is just...

Which ever way you twist words around, comparing Christians to the ISIS or the Taliban is ludicris, If you wanted to compare religion for religion, (Christianity to Islam),
then you have a basis to debate on. Comparing Christians to ISIS is like comparing ISLAM to a specific radical Christian movement.

Christian groups are building orphanages and Hospitals. ISIS and the Taliban blow them up , or burn them down.

The Taliban and ISIS are not a few wacked out individuals, they are dangerous organized movements of which we have nothing here in the US.

Its not Cherry picking,

What the Anti -abortionist did is illegal and when the perpetrator is caugfht, he's arrested. what the taliban does in blowing up schools or hospitals, is just part of their overall terror campaign, to beat a population into submission. openly done. I dont know who determines who the Christian Right is, but you seem to think all Christians on the right blow up buildings or approve the murder of doctors. You have absolutely no proof when you tar brush a huge number of Americans. The scope of what ISIS and the Taliban are doing is plain to see.

WATCH The ISIS Dumping Victims In What Seems To Be The BOTTOMLESS PIT - Walid Shoebat

I can show you video after video of this crap as you can also look up yourself. For the left to accuse Americans here of being the same? having the same mindset as these people is just a Fucking lie.

You all always bring up theh Southern treatment of Blacks, but people here have worked hard to change these things . Do you all deny that? So in the face of our enemies Your the ones who want to divide us, take us back to 1865 and tell us how bad, America is, regardless of people trying to make amends here. Thank you all for being so Progressive.

He doesn't think that.

What he thinks is that Christians deserve to be blown up, and we have it coming.

Just because the Taliban is a much more extreme example of conservative theocracy does not mean the comparison isn't valid. It's only a matter of degree but the impulse to use the Law to enforce a narrow, rigid view of morality is the same.

So when President Obama feels he knows what is best for the American people, and he is not going to wait for congress, he can just legislate to get things done. Every dictator started out saying they have the best intrest of the masses, then they push their narrow view on you, just like you say. So by degree,
Obama is somewhat like a Taliban leader?

Its not Cherry picking,

He doesn't think that.

What he thinks is that Christians deserve to be blown up, and we have it coming.

Seriously? he said that?

Its not Cherry picking,

He doesn't think that.

Seriously? he said that?

He says it every time he downplays their violence by citing "but the INQUISITION!"

The Taliban is a STATE that pushes a religious agenda.

As I said. The only time we have trouble is when the STATE gets involved. Capice?
They were a government at one time. We invaded and kicked them out of official power. They still have shadow governors and stuff, but they're not actually in control of much more than a small religious army, the backwater regions, and the drug trade.

Whatever. Both you and I know that's horseshit. Islam is not just a religion.
1.6 billion believers, and she says it isn't a religion? What a moron, most Christians are.

What I care about is how eager liberals are to belittle the oppression of the Afghan people and compare the group doing it to Westboro Baptist protesting funerals or Pat Robertson saying stupid shit on tv.
Such is the current state of American political "discourse". Unapologetic, unabashed hyperbole rules on both sides, making honest conversation damn near impossible.

The country would be much better off if many of our hardcore partisan ideologues would find another hobby. We need some rational people controlling the conversation.

I really want the Leftist posters on this board to please post some comparable videos of the Christian right, executing, torturing and treating peoples lives like shit for their religion. You say over and over again we are just the same. So show us your fucking video proof.. If Christiansd are compareable you must have lots of video on the Christian Dogs. Lets see it .

Exclusive Iraq says Islamic State killed 500 Yazidis buried some victims alive Reuters

So when President Obama feels he knows what is best for the American people, and he is not going to wait for congress, he can just legislate to get things done. Every dictator started out saying they have the best intrest of the masses, then they push their narrow view on you, just like you say. So by degree,
Obama is somewhat like a Taliban leader?
No, not even close. Liberal populism is the opposite of conservative theocracy.

Forum List

Back