Do Christians have more faith in Jesus or those who told the story?

Would Christians have more faith in Jesus if his words were passed mouth to ear for the last couple of thousand years instead of written down?

Looks like you roped a nutter double d.

Have fun with that. :thup:

Haha.. you have no idea! ;) I love our Lord so much and cannot thank Him enough for His love and Grace and guidance. Here's a visual - a video to share more about God's Word from whom you may call another "nutter". :tongue:

Marie the whole purpose of this thread is how do you have so much faith in the people who wrote those words? 400-500 years after the fact some of the stories are found, that would mean at bare minimum over that period of time the words/stories/books passed along are exactly what happened and was said.

Take Jesus out of the equation for the sake of discussion and tell me why you have faith that the people who wrote it hundreds of years after the fact retold the stories exactly word for word accurately.

I understand what you are saying :) But seriously, taking Jesus Christ out of the equation is impossible. I wouldn't have faith if it were not for Him/His Word.

Last edited by a moderator:
Codex Sinaiticus, the world's oldest Bible, unified online for the first time in over a century

Think about it, the oldest biblical writings found were written 400-500 years after the fact. This would mean for all those years the books and stories of the Bible would have had to have been told perfectly person to person with nothing left out.

So this means you have to have 100% faith that a text written 400-500 years after the fact is 100% accurate and for the sections that are missing you have to have complete faith that every word was relayed perfectly and translated exactly from language to language.

I think that takes as much faith as christianity in general.

Even The Text tells You to Put God First in All Things. You are over looking that. Seek the Truth through Conscience.

Looks like you roped a nutter double d.

Have fun with that. :thup:

Haha.. you have no idea! ;) I love our Lord so much and cannot thank Him enough for His love and Grace and guidance. Here's a visual - a video to share more about God's Word from whom you may call another "nutter". :tongue:

Marie the whole purpose of this thread is how do you have so much faith in the people who wrote those words? 400-500 years after the fact some of the stories are found, that would mean at bare minimum over that period of time the words/stories/books passed along are exactly what happened and was said.

Take Jesus out of the equation for the sake of discussion and tell me why you have faith that the people who wrote it hundreds of years after the fact retold the stories exactly word for word accurately.

There is another consideration, the books in the bible were selected for an official bible under a roman emperor. An appointed council of Mycenia (?) decided which texts to include and which ones not to include in what is now the official christian bible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that the OT was added to Christ's teachings. Would that have happened if Christ's lineage had been strictly oral and not written?

Would Christians have more faith in Jesus if his words were passed mouth to ear for the last couple of thousand years instead of written down?

It's interesting you say that. The thing is, is Jesus told us what will happen and the reality is here. Jesus told us approx 2000 years ago that the Gospel will be preached to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come. - Jesus Christ

Do you see anything happening from the worlds history and the present that goes against what Jesus said there above?

It's interesting you say that. The thing is, is Jesus told us what will happen and the reality is here. Jesus told us approx 2000 years ago that the Gospel will be preached to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come. - Jesus Christ

Do you see anything happening from the worlds history and the present that goes against what Jesus said there above?

I may be misunderstanding your post, but it sounds like you're saying the Bible will bring about the end of the world.

As to your last question, I'm not big on apocalypse now.

Last edited:

I may be misunderstanding your post, but it sounds like you're saying the Bible will bring about the end of the world.

No, sorry I didn't mean apocalypse "now", as I don't know "when" the Lord will return. Or when the end will come. It could be tomorrow, or it could be 1000 yrs from now. (another topic)

What I was trying to relay more than anything is...it has been 2000 years since Jesus said that, and the Gospel has still been being preached as He said it would.

No, sorry I didn't mean apocalypse "now", as I don't know "when" the Lord will return. Or when the end will come. It could be tomorrow, or it could be 1000 yrs from now. (another topic)

What I was trying to relay more than anything is...it has been 2000 years since Jesus said that, and the Gospel has still been being preached as He said it would.

Really? It seems to me that the gospel is preached in many different ways by Christians. How many Christians stick to the two great commandments?

People have faith in Jesus because they know that the men who wrote the stories was given by God,not man. How can you not have faith, when stories that have been told over thousands of years tie in so perfectly. Especially when the Prophets, Daniel (written around 605-536 B.C.) and Ezekiel (written around 592-570 B.C.) ties in beautifully with Revelation (written around 95-96 A.D.).
You see Revelation happening right before our eyes.
And the Bible says that to know when end times are happening is;
One- the good news of Jesus must be preached to the whole world -Done
2nd- that Israel must become a nation again -Done
3rd- That the world will be in a huge climate change -On going.
4th - That the world will be in turmoil -On going
5th - That there will be famines,pestilences, and earthquakes - happening
I believe that we are starting in the 3rd seal of Revelation - where wheat and barley prices will rise so dramatically that it will cost you a day wage. Seems to be starting.
So, each to his or her own. Believe or don't Believe. It's up to you.

Right on - We could also share what Jesus said in these verses in Matthew 24.

Matthew 24
3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you.
5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many.
6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.
7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.
8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

9 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me.
10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other,
11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people.
12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold,
13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

Really? It seems to me that the gospel is preached in many different ways by Christians. How many Christians stick to the two great commandments?

Yes, sadly, what you are seeing is sin. There's only one Gospel, if you see things taught differently from His Word, God did tell us to be careful of that. There are verses where He warns us to be careful of false teachers. We all know "men" sin, so who are we going to trust? "Man" or God?

But thats just it, of course you will see Christians doing things wrong or sinning. And you may even see their "pride". It doesn't make it ok, we all reap what we sow. (The Lord disciplines us in a good way) However, depending up who they are, they could either be struggling with a sin, learning through trial and error, or they could be a "wolf" in sheeps clothing. There is so many things we see wrong in the world... However, can any of us say we do not do wrong?

If we trust in God and His Word, then we know we all need help, we are all weak, or subject to weakness, and try to "help" each other in encourgement through Gods Word, etc, not condemn each other. To help each other turn away from sin - repent. As it is written - Love Covers A Multitude Of Sins. Jesus came to save us, not to condemn us.

If I please may, I'd like to share a parable with you that Jesus gave...
Luke 18
10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’
13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’
14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
In this, He is showing that we are all sinners, we all fall short, we all wrong. Admitting our own faults before others faults is very important.

Last edited:
People have faith in Jesus because they know that the men who wrote the stories was given by God,not man. How can you not have faith, when stories that have been told over thousands of years tie in so perfectly. Especially when the Prophets, Daniel (written around 605-536 B.C.) and Ezekiel (written around 592-570 B.C.) ties in beautifully with Revelation (written around 95-96 A.D.).
I believe that we are starting in the 3rd seal of Revelation - where wheat and barley prices will rise so dramatically that it will cost you a day wage. Seems to be starting.

Peach the Bible also says you can see the whole world from a big hill, that there's only been dozens of generations of humans from the time the world came to be and the time of the Bible (hence when people say the world is approx. 6000 years old), also says a human can live inside a magical fish, the great flood, and on and on and on.

I wouldn't use history or science to try and bolster your religion. Just use your faith.

Peach the Bible also says you can see the whole world from a big hill, that there's only been dozens of generations of humans from the time the world came to be and the time of the Bible (hence when people say the world is approx. 6000 years old), also says a human can live inside a magical fish, the great flood, and on and on and on.

I wouldn't use history or science to try and bolster your religion. Just use your faith.

I'm not using history or science. I never said that the earth is only 6,000 yr's old. And the stories are for life lessons. I am saying that we are in end times and that I am a believer.
And that what is written in the Bible has happened and still is happening.

I'm not using history or science. I never said that the earth is only 6,000 yr's old. And the stories are for life lessons. I am saying that we are in end times and that I am a believer.

Well right but wouldn't all those stories being factually inaccurate also mean maybe the end of world story is also factually inaccurate?

Maybe it's symbolic too, maybe it means the end of a world with morals or with love or what have you.

Lot's of people get the 6,000 yr old thing wrong. The earth is millions of years old and so is the universe. When God created everything on earth it took him 6,000 yr's in mankind's timeing. The Bible says 1,000 years of mankind is one day for me.

Forum List

Back