Disarming People Without Gun Rights

Flaylo

Handsome Devil
Feb 10, 2010
In some grass near you
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/us/06guns.html?_r=2&smid=tw-nytimespolitics

Tens of thousands of gun owners, like Mr. Perez, bought their weapons legally but under the law should no longer have them because of subsequent mental health or criminal issues. In Mr. Perez’s case, he had been held involuntarily by the authorities several times for psychiatric evaluation, which in California bars a person from possessing a gun for five years.

I'm very sure the writers of the 2nd Amendment didn't intend for mentally ill people to bear arms.

Tens of thousands of gun owners, like Mr. Perez, bought their weapons legally but under the law should no longer have them because of subsequent mental health or criminal issues. In Mr. Perez’s case, he had been held involuntarily by the authorities several times for psychiatric evaluation, which in California bars a person from possessing a gun for five years.

I'm very sure the writers of the 2nd Amendment didn't intend for mentally ill people to bear arms.

hence your MOS

A disarmed populace is a more compliant populace don't cha' know?

I didn't know California law could trump the Constitution. Learn something every day I guess.

In KY it takes a seperate court order to remove the guns from the posession of those involuntarialy commited because they are a threat to themselves or others.

I think this should be a combined part of the process of Baker Acting a person.

When the doctors say they can have them back they can get them back.

I'm going to volunteer you to be the one to take guns aways from mentallly ill people.

The law already exists to remove Mr. Perez's guns.

It merely needs to be enforced (sound familiar?)

Read my post. It varies a lot from state to state.

Its California.

The law already exists.

but not in KY. I know.
How about other states?

I think it should be combined into the Baker act process.

Federal Law prohibits him from obtaining any new (additional) firearms. Removal of existing possession falls to the Court with jurisdiction to sentence him to incarceration or treatment.

California's laws are a complete mess, even they don't know what their laws are. I will not sell a firearm to a person who has a CA driver's license, or who owns property in CA.

In KY it falls to the relatives of the mentally ill to have the guns removed.
Hire a lawyer, petition the court, etc.
It is not a part of the process. It is a completely seperate process.

Just wondering what you and your guns are going to do against the US military? You are allready compliant my friend, we all are. And for those of us that are not, the FBI or ATF comes and makes sure your compliant for the next 10-20 years

Just wondering what you and your guns are going to do against the US military? You are allready compliant my friend, we all are. And for those of us that are not, the FBI or ATF comes and makes sure your compliant for the next 10-20 years

Bye-Bye. ;)

In KY it falls to the relatives of the mentally ill to have the guns removed.
Hire a lawyer, petition the court, etc.
It is not a part of the process. It is a completely seperate process.

It is at the discretion of the ATF, who typically allow family to take possession, but they do have the right to confiscate them if they so choose.

And yes, removing current right of possession is a sentence that is generally up to the discretion of the Judge, unless a felony is committed.

The forfeit of the right to additional firearms is automatic, and is a Federal issue. You can petition to have that right reinstated, but it is a long, often expensive process.

Hmm checked with the State police, 2 judges, the state mental hospital and 3 people in the state legislature checked for me and not once was ATF mentioned.

Hmm checked with the State police, 2 judges, the state mental hospital and 3 people in the state legislature checked for me and not once was ATF mentioned.

Was a crime involved?

Ohh attempted suicide and threatening the life of their elderly father.

A repeat bipolar offender, when off meds totally loony and paranoid delusional.

Not cureable, just marginally controllable with meds.

Was a crime involved?

Ohh attempted suicide and threatening the life of their elderly father.

A repeat bipolar offender, when off meds totally loony and paranoid delusional.

Not cureable, just marginally controllable with meds.

What crime were they convicted of? And were they sentenced in State or Local Court?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back