Dinosaurs & Diamonds

Earth hydrocarbons are different? Seriously?

What makes Earth based Methane, butane, Ethane and octane different, do they have a velicoraptor molecule attached to them?

Where's the non-earthly butane, ethane and octane? Have little green men been drilling for it? :rolleyes:

Um, see the blue lakes on Titan I keep referring to?

They're not methane.

Blue?!?! That alone should tell you that it's not the same as hydrocarbons found on earth. Crude oil on earth is BLACK!!!

Why is helium found almost exclusively in natural gas deposits?

Because helium is a gas, and gets trapped in the same pockets that trap other gases.

Why are metals such as vanadium and manganese found abundantly in natural gas deposits?

Because both freely form organic compounds. Hot hydrocarbon gas touches metal ore, organic compounds form.

If decayed vegetable matter (containing chlorophyll) is the source of fossil fuels, there should be large amounts of magnesium. But there does not appear to be such an excess."

Crude oil always contains some level of magnesium. Gold doesn't give any figures to argue with, so I don't know what else to say.

The abiotic oil theory was created and pushed by Soviet scientists because it supported party ideology. Now the intellectual twins of the Soviets -- the denialists -- also embrace it, being it supports their party ideology. They may soon trumpet lysenkoism, pavlovianism, and all the other debunked Soviet junk science.

Where's the non-earthly butane, ethane and octane? Have little green men been drilling for it? :rolleyes:

Um, see the blue lakes on Titan I keep referring to?

They're not methane.

Blue?!?! That alone should tell you that it's not the same as hydrocarbons found on earth. Crude oil on earth is BLACK!!!

The pictures are color enhanc...what's the use? Really? Why do I waste the electron trying to communicate with a guy who has an eggplant where his brain should be?

Saturn has rings, therefore by Frank-logic, Earth also must have rings.

And also by Frank logic, the burden is on the ring-deniers to _prove_ earth doesn't have rings.

Yes, they found 'traces' of oil in a deep hole in the craton. Now let's examine that in the context of what an craton it. It is the central, original, continental silicate rock that originally differatiated from the more basic rock that makes up most of the Earth's crust. The cratons have been there a long time, billions of years, and have undergone many rounds of the Wilsonian Cycle of the aggregation and breakup of the continents. So they have many, many fault systems, old and young, in them.

Now, if the Gold Hypothesis were real, wouldn't at least some of these faults be filled with oil? But they are not. And we find oil associated with ocean basin deposits. So much so that they use fossils recovered when drilling to tell them if they are in the right kind of formations.

USING MICROFOSSILS IN PETROLEUM EXPLORATION

WHEN I meet new people and they find out that I'm a paleontologist working for an oil company, the second question they ask (after "What is a paleontologist?") is usually "Why would an oil company hire one?" Most people think of dinosaurs when they think of paleontology, or at the very least trilobites and other invertebrate fossils. However, most of the rock samples available to those engaged in finding and developing hydrocarbon resources are in the form of "cuttings." Cuttings (Baker, 1979) are the small pieces of rock broken up by the drill bit and brought to the surface by the fluid which lubricates the drill bit and removes the cut rock from the bottom of the drill hole. If the bit encounters dinosaur bones or clam shells, they are so broken up in the process as to be almost unusable. Microfossils on the other hand, by virtue of their small size, can be recovered whole. Microfossils also happen to be abundant, especially in marine rocks which are the most common form of sedimentary rock in the crust of the Earth.
Microfossils have many applications to petroleum geology (Fleisher and Lane, in press, Ventress, 1991, LeRoy, 1977). The two most common uses are: biostratigraphy and paleoenvironmental analyses. Biostratigraphy is the differentiation of rock units based upon the fossils which they contain. Paleoenvironmental analysis is the interpretation of the depositional environment in which the rock unit formed, based upon the fossils found within the unit. There are many other uses of fossils besides these, including: paleoclimatology, biogeography, and thermal maturation.

Of course, this is just a real geologist speaking, not an internet possier.

And once again, Gold found oil where current theory stated there would be none. Blather on all you want. He found some. many, many holes are drilled where current theory says there SHOULD be oil and they come up dry, back when I was active the average was 1 producer for every 20 drilled.

He drilled ONCE and found oil.

You lose.

Last edited:
Gold actually drilled a hole in the middle of a coninental craton into pure igneous rock and found trace amounts of oil where the current theory of oil production said none would be found.

No one ever denied that traces of abiotic oil would exist, so you're attacking a strawman.

Many decades of oil exploration have found no significant amounts of abiotic oil anywhere. The "infinite abiotic oil" theory has no real-world evidence to back it up, so the burden of proof is on its backers to come up with such evidence. As in actual significant quantities of abiotic oil.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes, they found 'traces' of oil in a deep hole in the craton. Now let's examine that in the context of what an craton it. It is the central, original, continental silicate rock that originally differatiated from the more basic rock that makes up most of the Earth's crust. The cratons have been there a long time, billions of years, and have undergone many rounds of the Wilsonian Cycle of the aggregation and breakup of the continents. So they have many, many fault systems, old and young, in them.

Now, if the Gold Hypothesis were real, wouldn't at least some of these faults be filled with oil? But they are not. And we find oil associated with ocean basin deposits. So much so that they use fossils recovered when drilling to tell them if they are in the right kind of formations.

WHEN I meet new people and they find out that I'm a paleontologist working for an oil company, the second question they ask (after "What is a paleontologist?") is usually "Why would an oil company hire one?" Most people think of dinosaurs when they think of paleontology, or at the very least trilobites and other invertebrate fossils. However, most of the rock samples available to those engaged in finding and developing hydrocarbon resources are in the form of "cuttings." Cuttings (Baker, 1979) are the small pieces of rock broken up by the drill bit and brought to the surface by the fluid which lubricates the drill bit and removes the cut rock from the bottom of the drill hole. If the bit encounters dinosaur bones or clam shells, they are so broken up in the process as to be almost unusable. Microfossils on the other hand, by virtue of their small size, can be recovered whole. Microfossils also happen to be abundant, especially in marine rocks which are the most common form of sedimentary rock in the crust of the Earth.
Microfossils have many applications to petroleum geology (Fleisher and Lane, in press, Ventress, 1991, LeRoy, 1977). The two most common uses are: biostratigraphy and paleoenvironmental analyses. Biostratigraphy is the differentiation of rock units based upon the fossils which they contain. Paleoenvironmental analysis is the interpretation of the depositional environment in which the rock unit formed, based upon the fossils found within the unit. There are many other uses of fossils besides these, including: paleoclimatology, biogeography, and thermal maturation.

And once again, Gold found oil where current theory stated there would be none. Blather on all you want. He found some. many, many holes are drilled where current thoery says there SHOULD be oil and they come up dry, back when I was active the average was 1 producer for every 20 drilled.

You lose.

He drilled once, and found traces. Dumkopf. Yes, I know of many holes drilled in likely places, and they all found more than Gold found. Traces doesn't buy it for you when you are drilling for real.

And then again, where are the faults filled with oil?

Dinosaur "myth"?

Everyone knows God put dinosaur bones in the ground so Republicans would know what animals look like on the planet, "Kolob", where Mitt Romney's God lives. He says his God fathered YOUR God when his God balled Mary. True story.

And once again, Gold found oil where current theory stated there would be none. Blather on all you want. He found some. many, many holes are drilled where current thoery says there SHOULD be oil and they come up dry, back when I was active the average was 1 producer for every 20 drilled.

You lose.

He drilled once, and found traces. Dumkopf. Yes, I know of many holes drilled in likely places, and they all found more than Gold found. Traces doesn't buy it for you when you are drilling for real.

And then again, where are the faults filled with oil?

Traces in the MIDDLE OF IGNEOUS ROCK. How did it get there?

Once again, no one has stated abiotic oil is impossible. Just that it is not a significant source. Were it a signficant source, we would find in in major amounts in old fault systems. We do not, therefore, it never existed in significant amounts.

Once again, no one has stated abiotic oil is impossible. Just that it is not a significant source. Were it a signficant source, we would find in in major amounts in old fault systems. We do not, therefore, it never existed in significant amounts.

Except on Saturn's moon Titan which has no obvious biological activity and a year round temperature of -300

Saturn has rings, therefore by Frank-logic, Earth also must have rings.

And also by Frank logic, the burden is on the ring-deniers to _prove_ earth doesn't have rings.

It's obvious that there are massive quantities of these "Fossil fuels" on Titan, a very inhospitable to place to biological activity. That leaves you two choices: you can either suppose that there is massive biological activity creating these "fossil fuels" or admit the obvious that they are abiotic.

Abiotic oil on Titan does not equal abiotic oil on Earth. There have been no significant sources of abiotic oil found on Earth. Period.

Abiotic oil on Titan does not equal abiotic oil on Earth. There have been no significant sources of abiotic oil found on Earth. Period.

You're confused. Earth based hydrocarbons are aboitic your denial notwithstanding

You're confused. Earth based hydrocarbons are aboitic your denial notwithstanding

You'll have to do a bit better than yelling "MY CULT TOLD ME IT WAS TRUE, SO IT HAS TO BE TRUE!" over and over. We understand that such logic convinces you, on every topic. It just doesn't convince any rational people.

So, found those rings around Earth yet? After all, the fact that no one can find rings around Earth doesn't prove they're not there. Saturn has rings, therefore Earth must have rings too.

You'll have to do a bit better than yelling "MY CULT TOLD ME IT WAS TRUE, SO IT HAS TO BE TRUE!" over and over. We understand that such logic convinces you, on every topic. It just doesn't convince any rational people.

So, found those rings around Earth yet? After all, the fact that no one can find rings around Earth doesn't prove they're not there. Saturn has rings, therefore Earth must have rings too.

Hydrocarbons are found everywhere else in the Solar system and unless you're telling me there is life on other planets, it's all abiotic. But it's only on planet Earth, Earth alone in the whole solar system that requires organic life to generate these simple molecules?
Hmmm

Can you explain to me why you believe that in all the solar system our planet is the only one that cannot produce hydrocarbons without biological activity?

Dinosaur "myth"?

Everyone knows God put dinosaur bones in the ground so Republicans would know what animals look like on the planet, "Kolob", where Mitt Romney's God lives. He says his God fathered YOUR God when his God balled Mary. True story.

Have you ever considered posting a YouTube video of how you can type while in a straight jacket?

Alan Caruba’s piece cites Thomas Gold and mentions Dr. Jerome R. Corsi’s book The Great Oil Conspiracy, but I want to comment on this:

. . . Dr. Corsi tells the story of the Nazi regimes development of synthetic oil after German scientists “cracked the code God built into the heart of chemistry to form hydrocarbons in the first place.” Known as the “Fischer-Tropsch” process, it permitted the Nazis to pursue war even though Germany had no oil fields of its own.

XXXXX​

Gold, who passed away in 2004, was way ahead of most other scientists with his assertion that the earth produces oil at very deep levels. While telling the story of how the U.S. went to great lengths to acquire the data regarding synthetic oil production as our military overran Germany and then took care not to let the public know about. It was, after all, our own oil industry that had provided the fuel that aided the war effort in both theatres.

Oil Forever!
Alan Caruba Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Oil Forever!

America’s WWII fighter planes had one huge advantage over Luftwaffe fighters like Messerschmitts. American planes could climb faster than German planes because of the higher octane achieved from refining petroleum. Germany’s aviation fuel was refined from coal. I don’t know what that has to do with the topic. Perhaps somebody would like to offer a thought or two.

Forum List

Back