Digital TV Ignorance ...

That's what I said already. My point was that if these boxes were so badly needed that we had to waste tax payers money on coupons (most of which will never be used) then why is it most TVs out there won't need it because they are capable of understanding the digital signal already, unless you have really old TVs that still work. So, they are just signal amplifiers in almost every case, but they have people fooled into thinking that only the newest TVs can read the digital signal, thus why I call it a con.
Okay. I don't think you are correct...I read somewhere that just because a TV is digital ready it doesn't mean it can actually receive the signal...I understood it to mean it could broadcast the signal, though.

Okay. I don't think you are correct...I read somewhere that just because a TV is digital ready it doesn't mean it can actually receive the signal...I understood it to mean it could broadcast the signal, though.

The problem is that the digital signal is more easily disrupted than the analog, and because of the nature of digital media missing one bit of data can mess up an entire image or sound. So if you don't live in an area that receives decent analog signals you will likely lose a LOT of the digital signal, which enforces the fear of losing the signal and making the con job easier. The boxes are just more sensitive (often called signal boosters, but I am lazy and just type amplifiers). The con is saying that you need the box to receive the digital signal at all, and though I haven't checked, I am betting that most amplifiers can already boost the digital signal as well.

The problem is that the digital signal is more easily disrupted than the analog, and because of the nature of digital media missing one bit of data can mess up an entire image or sound. So if you don't live in an area that receives decent analog signals you will likely lose a LOT of the digital signal, which enforces the fear of losing the signal and making the con job easier. The boxes are just more sensitive (often called signal boosters, but I am lazy and just type amplifiers). The con is saying that you need the box to receive the digital signal at all, and though I haven't checked, I am betting that most amplifiers can already boost the digital signal as well.
The way I understand it is that digital ready tvs might need converter boxes, while the newer totally digital tvs need nothing. I agree with you on analog, I'm sorry to see it on the way out...same with photography and music, analog is much higher quality

The way I understand it is that digital ready tvs might need converter boxes, while the newer totally digital tvs need nothing. I agree with you on analog, I'm sorry to see it on the way out...same with photography and music, analog is much higher quality

Sadly we haven't had an actual analog picture or sound with our TVs, but yeah, analog is actually better quality, people are just easily fooled. The only reason digital looks clearer is because of seeing fewer colors, making the ones you do see a higher contrast. The only real benefit of digital is that it takes a LOT less space to store, other than that it is inferior. We should have instead worked toward perfect analog, making the equipment more sensitive so more info can be stored or sent on a smaller wave length. Living brains work on analog using a psuedo-digital system (nueral networks rule) and they can process and store a lot more than our computers can come close to. Digital should have been a stepping stone not the goal.

Thanks. I think I need a booster and a really good antenna on my roof.

I recently tried to see what I could pick up on the digital signal and all I got was Univision and two local stations. I want to be able to get everything without needing the cable company and my understanding is that's possible with the proper antenna? I tried to do a little homework, but there is a lot of information and misinformation out there.

I'd love it if someone with the knowledge and experience could enlighten me on digital antennas...different types, brands, track records, etc...I just don't want to rely on some salesperson who may be giving me the wrong info in order to make a sale.

I'm not looking for a science lesson, just a knowledgable recommendation on the available products. Is there a crappy brand I should avoid? A brand or type that is better than all the rest?

I've been wanting this forever. We have Comcast On Demand and all I want is LESS channels, have asked them to ala carte options but no luck. It was my understanding that you can't get 'everything' (all the channels you have now) without cable or satellite. If you find out otherwise, please post a thread cause I'd be the first to give cable the boot. Comcast does have an economy package for $40/month (vs. the On Demand for $60). I just saw a commerical for it a few weeks ago. I called them and they gave me a list of channels that were included in it. You'd lose the On Demand feature. We never use On Demand except for twice last summer to catch Mad Men. But I found SideReel.com and can watch all the Mad Men I want.

My understanding was that you don't need the box to receive the signal but you need the box to receive the signal clearly. Is that not right? Do you know if this is all getting delayed or not? I read something about them not being ready but . . . my attention got diverted and I never went back to find out about it.

I've been wanting this forever. We have Comcast On Demand and all I want is LESS channels, have asked them to ala carte options but no luck. It was my understanding that you can't get 'everything' (all the channels you have now) without cable or satellite. If you find out otherwise, please post a thread cause I'd be the first to give cable the boot. Comcast does have an economy package for $40/month (vs. the On Demand for $60). I just saw a commerical for it a few weeks ago. I called them and they gave me a list of channels that were included in it. You'd lose the On Demand feature. We never use On Demand except for twice last summer to catch Mad Men. But I found SideReel.com and can watch all the Mad Men I want.

My understanding was that you don't need the box to receive the signal but you need the box to receive the signal clearly. Is that not right? Do you know if this is all getting delayed or not? I read something about them not being ready but . . . my attention got diverted and I never went back to find out about it.
FYI
You know, if you are looking to buy a flat screen tv, some newer ones now have a media slot on them for the card that is in your cable boxes so you don't even need your cable box for anything anymore, the cable company will soon just be sending us a card to put in our tv, if we have one of them with the slot....

Care

Which is what my point has been the whole time. This coupon thing was the really big con, tax money spent to give people something they don't even need ... could have just given then $5 and sent them to the local thrift shop for an old set instead and saved millions.

Which is what my point has been the whole time. This coupon thing was the really big con, tax money spent to give people something they don't even need ... could have just given then $5 and sent them to the local thrift shop for an old set instead and saved millions.

Well, in the Public Service ads that they have been running here, it says that if you have cable tv, or satelite tv, that you DO NOT NEED to get the digital converter box.

But if you rely only on public television, you must get the digital converter box in order to receive any of the public stations that they were once getting. And the ads say that their own antenna with the new convertor box will get them even more stations than what they were getting beforehand.

They stressed that the people without cable/satelite will NOT receive their local channels.

We have two tvs that use a box for our satelite tv, and 2 tv's that do not, but piggyback off the signal...the ad said that we would be fine and do not need to buy a converter box... (We also have 2 portable tv's, one hand held and one about 5 inches that we have for emergencies, when we lose electric....they are very old...maybe 10 years old, so we ordered the coupons frm the gvt, and are going to get at least one box for them, in case of an emergency)

care

Kitten, how do you know you're getting the digital signal now? The stations haven't switched to broadcasting in digital only.

The only person I know on the entire earth that needs a box is my darling old auntie who still has an antenna on her roof and no cable tv.

(We also have 2 portable tv's, one hand held and one about 5 inches that we have for emergencies, when we lose electric....they are very old...maybe 10 years old, so we ordered the coupons frm the gvt, and are going to get at least one box for them, in case of an emergency)

care
Don't the converter boxes need electric?

Kitten, how do you know you're getting the digital signal now? The stations haven't switched to broadcasting in digital only.

The only person I know on the entire earth that needs a box is my darling old auntie who still has an antenna on her roof and no cable tv.

I hope she can still get "Matlock" and "Murder, She Wrote!"

Two things, look up the specs for the TV if you have the model number is one way, but here they have been running 'tests'. I didn't care when I heard about the switch anyway, TV just isn't important enough for me, but I was watching Simpsons while taking a break (leave the TV on for background noise sometimes) and they did a test during the commercial break. I didn't notice when they dropped the analog signal, though there was a slight hiccup in signal when they switched back to analog (as if the TV became momentarily confused).

Well, in the Public Service ads that they have been running here, it says that if you have cable tv, or satelite tv, that you DO NOT NEED to get the digital converter box.

But if you rely only on public television, you must get the digital converter box in order to receive any of the public stations that they were once getting. And the ads say that their own antenna with the new convertor box will get them even more stations than what they were getting beforehand.

They stressed that the people without cable/satelite will NOT receive their local channels.

We have two tvs that use a box for our satelite tv, and 2 tv's that do not, but piggyback off the signal...the ad said that we would be fine and do not need to buy a converter box... (We also have 2 portable tv's, one hand held and one about 5 inches that we have for emergencies, when we lose electric....they are very old...maybe 10 years old, so we ordered the coupons frm the gvt, and are going to get at least one box for them, in case of an emergency)

care

Here's a hint: they WANT to make money (those who sell the boxes) so they will scare you. Ours did until I sent a letter to all the local stations informing them that their lying will cause a possible lawsuit, now they say you 'may have to' instead. Damn, I wanted to sue them to. But meh, maybe you can in your area if they are still claiming you will have to.

FYI
You know, if you are looking to buy a flat screen tv, some newer ones now have a media slot on them for the card that is in your cable boxes so you don't even need your cable box for anything anymore, the cable company will soon just be sending us a card to put in our tv, if we have one of them with the slot....

Care

We have three tvs. The family room one is about 6 or 7 years old. The upstairs one is a bit older. The basement one is like, 18 years old or something. No buttons on it cause the kids broke them all when they were little. I'd like a new tv for there - mostly because it doesn't have any parental controls (vchip) for it. Flatscreens are so pricey! Even a small (20") costs several hundred. I was hoping to find something that size in the $200 range but no luck. Was thinking about buying an older analog one instead. Thanks for the card tip. We just got the On Demand box a few months ago and only because Comcast sent us a card saying we could get it and that it was free. We're always a little behind on the technology stuff! :lol:

We have cable and don't need the box. I thought only those with rabbit ears (no cable, no satellite) needed the boxes. I didn't notice any difference in the picture when they did those tests either. The upstairs tv still gets a less clear picture on ABC and NBC and SciFi. Have to watch it through the VCR (yeah we still have and use them lol) to see it better.

We have cable and don't need the box. I thought only those with rabbit ears (no cable, no satellite) needed the boxes. I didn't notice any difference in the picture when they did those tests either. The upstairs tv still gets a less clear picture on ABC and NBC and SciFi. Have to watch it through the VCR (yeah we still have and use them lol) to see it better.

It's advertising fraud, they get away with it all the time just this one is big enough that if people threaten lawsuits they have to change their tunes. I never knew the government could ever be involved in anything this much of an outright lie to people, guess I thought wrong because the d-TV changes is not nearly as big a deal as they make people think.

It's advertising fraud, they get away with it all the time just this one is big enough that if people threaten lawsuits they have to change their tunes. I never knew the government could ever be involved in anything this much of an outright lie to people, guess I thought wrong because the d-TV changes is not nearly as big a deal as they make people think.

How is it advertising fraud? Any information I've seen on this specifically says if you have cable, you're fine and don't need a box. It specifically says it's for those who don't have cable and who still rely on rabbit ears or some other type of antennea. At least, that's what they're advertising in my neck of the woods.

It's a big deal to people who still have rabbit ears. I was in K-mart yesterday and a woman was near frantic because she has an older tv and needed the converter box. They were out; apparently they only get a few in at random times and they go quick.

Forum List

Back