Mass Transit

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Achilles, Jan 10, 2009.

?

How often do you use your state's mass transit system.

1. Often.

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Sometimes.

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. Never.

13 vote(s)
    44.8%
  4. No system in place.

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. Achilles

Achilles Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you can see, mass transit has a lot a benefits to the people and the environment. Do you support mass transit? Also, does your state have a mass transit system in place?

2. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    Why doesn't Al Whore use trains instead of his private jet, if he's so worried about the environment?

3. Angel Heart

Angel Heart Conservative Hippie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    My day wouldn't work if all I had was public transit to rely on. I have to have 2 kids at one school at 7:30am and the next 2 at another school by 7:45am. both are on routes that run only every hour and would have to catch another bus just to get on the right bus.

Wouldn't work for my husband job as well. He works on office equipment in the customers office. He has to carry parts and tools for all the machines he works on.

Public transit is great but personal autos is still the only way to live in most towns. If I lived in NYC I might have a different view but I live in Portland Oregon.

4. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I'm a big fan of mass transit (we use the term "public transport"). Unfortunately it's not as good as it could be here but after some years of benign neglect it's advantages have been realised and our state government is putting some money into it.

5. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Angel, our state government is using Portland as a model for many things, public transport was one of them, I seem to remember something about light rail. I have only been to Portland once and I was driving a hire car from LA on my way to Vancouver BC so I didn't get a chance to look at your systems there.

6. Angel Heart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Problem we've had with the light rail is the crime that comes with it. On each of the routes as they started running, the crime in the neighborhoods they go through went up.

Here's a bit of history behind it:
    http://www.ortem.org/history/

I will not be choosing to buy a house anywhere on a light rail line or any future planned line. The crime goes way up due to it being an easy way in and out. They don't tend to talk about that when they pitch the idea it to new cities.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  7. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    That's interesting, thank you. Just as an aside we have the same problem with regular rail in our metro area, crime I mean. I worked transit for a while and after commuting hours it's like something out of the "Twilight Zone."

8. Angel Heart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Like I added after you started quoting... It's something they don't tell people when they pitch it. Would you?

I think the solution is to arm the public. If people where packing, well... Do you think the creeps would be as likely to fuck with them?

9. Angel Heart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Crime on Portland MAX rail line - The Oregonian

Scary when you think about it. That was just 2 years. They are in the middle of putting one in to the Clackamas Town Center. From there they are talking about toward Oregon City. There's the ones fighting for it and then there's us that are trying to stop it.

More bus would help. There's communities that would do better if they had more access to the city. Estacada comes to mind. It's got one bus route and it runs only a few times a day and not everyday of the week. It puts a worker in charge of who gets on and off the bus.

10. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    One of the things I found out very quickly when I worked transit was that a lot of people, and I mean a lot, using rail after commuting hours were suffering from various degrees (and types) of mental illness. It makes sense because here you can't hold a driver's licence if you are suffering from a mental illness and most of the poor buggers can't hold down a job that pays sufficiently for them to buy a car anyway, so public transport is the only option. And since rail here goes from the downtown area right out to the extreme northern and southern (our city is very linear north and south) districts it's the transportation of choice.

It's no so bad on the buses because they tend to be shorter trips but in the last few weeks we've seen operators bashed and idiots chucking rocks at buses from vantage points along the route.

We also have a guided busway which is great for commuting but at night abovementioned idiots think it's fun to hurl pieces of concrete at the buses as they pass.

Now just getting back on track (sorry)

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pPhxaAT9M6c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pPhxaAT9M6c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1