Digital TV Ignorance ...

*rae* Um ... yeah. They are signal amplifiers with one extra part, the digital to analog conversion. As I said, my TV is from 1998 and doesn't need one to get the digital signal, though the digital signal is weaker than the analog signal so I may need an amplifier to get all the stations once this wasted switch is made. Just because I won't waste my time to over explain everything to a bunch of MB posters doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about, though the accusation does show that you know less but wish to boost your own ego. Look into the technology more yourself, again I will not explain it all because again, it's a waste of time and not nearly as much fun.

and a TV is the same as a radio, it just has that picture part added on. :cuckoo:

since you don't know what you're talking about, you're wasting OUR time, not vice versa.

how about if you just shut the fuck up or admit you don't know what you're talking about 99% of the time?

i'll call you if i need a script kiddie, though.

and a TV is the same as a radio, it just has that picture part added on. :cuckoo:

since you don't know what you're talking about, you're wasting OUR time, not vice versa.

how about if you just shut the fuck up or admit you don't know what you're talking about 99% of the time?

i'll call you if i need a script kiddie, though.

Really Del, look up the technology, unless you are just lying because you own stock in the chip manufacturers. When I say look up the tech you must follow a few basic things: first learn how the technology works (down to the transistor components in ICs) then how broadcast technology works (focus on transceiver bands will work) then look at the schematics for the boxes ... or use your brain. Each box has a amplifier strength, thus the varying costs, the lowest has the smallest amplification. ... damn it ... go look it up technonewbie.

P.S. Del, just because you don't really understand it doesn't mean it's me who doesn't know what they are talking about ...

Up here in Maine, they have been running ads on tv for nearly 3-4 months now, telling us about the conversion to digital and how to get a government coupon for 2 digital converters. I sent out for them and got the coupons last month....but still have not gotten the converters.

They said on the news last night that the conversion may not take place in February as planned because alot of people here who rely on public television do not have these converter boxes yet.

a new tv campaign has just started talking about getting a good digital antenna for your tv in addition to the converter box, if you don't have cable or satelite tv.

MY QUESTION IS: I have a stereo in the kitchen that has a cd player and TV, Weather radio, fm/am radio....

Will my stereo in the kitchen not give me TV BAND and the local tv stations once the conversion takes place? And can one of these converter boxes work on a Stereo with TV band?

Care

You can find some good info here:

https://www.dtv2009.gov/FAQ.aspx
Do I need a converter box if I have cable or satellite?
TVs connected to cable, satellite, or other pay services do not require a TV converter box from this program to receive programs after February 17, 2009. Check with your cable or satellite provider to determine how they will support your analog set after February 17, 2009. The Federal Communications Commission has issued two very helpful consumer advisories on the switch to digital for pay TV services at The Digital TV Transition - Publications.

Will I still need an antenna to receive programming? Will I need to purchase a “DTV antenna” or “HDTV antenna” to receive digital television signals?
You should be able to receive digital television signals with your existing broadcast antenna. If after you have installed your converter box you are having reception problems using your existing antenna, you may want to contact either your local broadcaster or the retail store where you purchased the converter box. Troubleshooting advice can be found at AntennaWeb or via the Federal Communications Commission at Antennas and Digital Television.

Do you also have comcast or direct tv? Because if so that is why you have a signal! It only really affects people who use rabbit ears!
By the way I think they have given out something like 40 or more million coupons and only 18 million have used them so far so they have stopped giving out the coupons for right now but you can get on a waiting list!

Yes, here's a link to the waiting list.

https://www.dtv2009.gov/WaitingList.aspx

Thankfully, I am all set with a digital TV and cable service. What I would really like to know, if anyone out there has the knowledge and experience to share, what kind of kick ass antenna should I purchase in order to be able to tell my cable company to go pound sand after the conversion?

Yes, here's a link to the waiting list.

https://www.dtv2009.gov/WaitingList.aspx

Thankfully, I am all set with a digital TV and cable service. What I would really like to know, if anyone out there has the knowledge and experience to share, what kind of kick ass antenna should I purchase in order to be able to tell my cable company to go pound sand after the conversion?

You may not need anything, most likely you won't. Most TV's already 'understand' the new signal, the whole con job is a sales pitch and nothing more. However if you live in a rural area that gets a weak analog signal you will need a booster for the digital one (digital transmissions oddly have less stable signals). Also, if you have internet access you can find it all online anyway, so TV is obsolete really.

Also, if you have internet access you can find it all online anyway, so TV is obsolete really.

I just about to mention that. Why all the bother about changing signals when broadcast TV is on it's way out anyway? I suppose people in rural areas or people who can't aford internet access will still use it.

But all in all, I would rather have seen all this government money spent on making internet access available to more people.

I've canceled our Dish Network as of the end of this month. I'll miss the DVR, but that's about it. The offered us a lower price package, but none of them have the Sci Fi channel. If I can't get the Sci Fi channel, why bother?

I figure with the $80 or so per month I'm saving, I can buy those sci fi series when they come out on dvd.

You may not need anything, most likely you won't. Most TV's already 'understand' the new signal, the whole con job is a sales pitch and nothing more. However if you live in a rural area that gets a weak analog signal you will need a booster for the digital one (digital transmissions oddly have less stable signals).

Thanks. I think I need a booster and a really good antenna on my roof.

I recently tried to see what I could pick up on the digital signal and all I got was Univision and two local stations. I want to be able to get everything without needing the cable company and my understanding is that's possible with the proper antenna? I tried to do a little homework, but there is a lot of information and misinformation out there.

I'd love it if someone with the knowledge and experience could enlighten me on digital antennas...different types, brands, track records, etc...I just don't want to rely on some salesperson who may be giving me the wrong info in order to make a sale.

I'm not looking for a science lesson, just a knowledgable recommendation on the available products. Is there a crappy brand I should avoid? A brand or type that is better than all the rest?

Really Del, look up the technology, unless you are just lying because you own stock in the chip manufacturers. When I say look up the tech you must follow a few basic things: first learn how the technology works (down to the transistor components in ICs) then how broadcast technology works (focus on transceiver bands will work) then look at the schematics for the boxes ... or use your brain. Each box has a amplifier strength, thus the varying costs, the lowest has the smallest amplification. ... damn it ... go look it up technonewbie.

and when i say you don't know what the fuck your talking about 99% of the time, i'm being generous.

it is NOT the amplifier that is crucial to making the damn thing work, it's the D/A. you could have a freaking nuclear powered amp section, and without the D/A you got nothin'. zippo. nada. you really should stick to what you know, presuming such subject matter exists.

as long as you're here, though, why don't you explain more fully how atomic bombs aren't nukes? i'm always up for a good laugh.:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks. I think I need a booster and a really good antenna on my roof.

I recently tried to see what I could pick up on the digital signal and all I got was Univision and two local stations. I want to be able to get everything without needing the cable company and my understanding is that's possible with the proper antenna? I tried to do a little homework, but there is a lot of information and misinformation out there.

I'd love it if someone with the knowledge and experience could enlighten me on digital antennas...different types, brands, track records, etc...I just don't want to rely on some salesperson who may be giving me the wrong info in order to make a sale.

I'm not looking for a science lesson, just a knowledgable recommendation on the available products. Is there a crappy brand I should avoid? A brand or type that is better than all the rest?

Digital TV converter boxes: First Look

this is a pretty good comparison. as i don't need one, i haven't really looked into it very carefully. in my view, tuner sensitivity is probably as important as amplification, perhaps moreso.

good luck with it.

They are REALLY conning everyone with this crap, and they conned us out of millions in taxes as well (wonder who got all that ...). My 1998 TV can even read the digital signal just fine. LOL

Didn't we already cover this in the thread I made a little while back?

I've canceled our Dish Network as of the end of this month. I'll miss the DVR, but that's about it. The offered us a lower price package, but none of them have the Sci Fi channel. If I can't get the Sci Fi channel, why bother?

I figure with the $80 or so per month I'm saving, I can buy those sci fi series when they come out on dvd.
Having cable the whole time I was growing up I am addicted to it but I remember when I lived on my own and only had rabbit ears I either watched a lot of PBS or listened to music or did other things.

I just about to mention that. Why all the bother about changing signals when broadcast TV is on it's way out anyway? I suppose people in rural areas or people who can't aford internet access will still use it.

But all in all, I would rather have seen all this government money spent on making internet access available to more people.

Now THAT would be a good way to spend taxes, I agree, put more internet services out there and make sure all areas have access. Many areas are even starting to offer free wi-fi, which is a really good idea. It will create a higher profit for the tech industry in the long run and will also create more jobs, it would be better for the economy all around. But then our government doesn't care about better choices or long term, they are focusing on the here and now with no plans for the future.

and when i say you don't know what the fuck your talking about 99% of the time, i'm being generous.

it is NOT the amplifier that is crucial to making the damn thing work, it's the D/A. you could have a freaking nuclear powered amp section, and without the D/A you got nothin'. zippo. nada. you really should stick to what you know, presuming such subject matter exists.

as long as you're here, though, why don't you explain more fully how atomic bombs aren't nukes? i'm always up for a good laugh.:lol::lol::lol:

Really, if it's more then why do TV's made in 1998 already understand the digital signal without it?

If it's so needed then no TV would, now wouldn't it? It's just like the analog signal amplifiers only it picks up digital instead of analog, just a different style but the same effect. You are easily conned, I have ocean front property in Arizona for a steal, I'll even give you a discount.

Kitten, before 1998 TVs were strictly analog. In 1998, companies started manufacturing digital ready televisions.

Kitten, before 1998 TVs were strictly analog. In 1998, companies started manufacturing digital ready televisions.

That's what I said already. My point was that if these boxes were so badly needed that we had to waste tax payers money on coupons (most of which will never be used) then why is it most TVs out there won't need it because they are capable of understanding the digital signal already, unless you have really old TVs that still work. So, they are just signal amplifiers in almost every case, but they have people fooled into thinking that only the newest TVs can read the digital signal, thus why I call it a con.

Forum List

Back