Digital Noise Graffiti

Midnight.... the compressor/limiter is your friend. Just sayin'.

Aww here we are with a vocals critic?

Not just the vocals, the whole production needs it. Also some judicious use of a parametric equalizer would give it more clarity and impact.

Production makes all the difference. Play your track back to back with something by Britney Spears. Don't give me shit about her music, just listen to the difference in production. Her track will be much louder than yours at whatever volume you put it on. Prolly 2x as loud. Why? Production. Each instrument has had unnecessary frequencies removed and it's been compressed. Every channel has been optimized to spend most of its time at 0db. I won't go into mixing automation because I doubt your track would really benefit, but it's something to think about.

I'm hardly a mastering expert but I do have an idea what goes into it and yours needs it.

Not just the vocals, the whole production needs it. Also some judicious use of a parametric equalizer would give it more clarity and impact.

Production makes all the difference. Play your track back to back with something by Britney Spears. Don't give me shit about her music, just listen to the difference in production. Her track will be much louder than yours at whatever volume you put it on. Prolly 2x as loud. Why? Production. Each instrument has had unnecessary frequencies removed and it's been compressed. Every channel has been optimized to spend most of its time at 0db. I won't go into mixing automation because I doubt your track would really benefit, but it's something to think about.

I'm hardly a mastering expert but I do have an idea what goes into it and yours needs it.
It's low level for a reason -- cheap computer speakers or headphones the typical listener will be using.

But....

When one listens to the encoded Dolby 5.1 track with the decoder, it's all the difference in the world.

Only effect used for the cheap speaker crowd is declipping.

BTW I prefer to have my stuff be "raw" and not automated or computer enhanced. I'm not playing to the audiophile crowd, obviously. But if you like and if you have the equipment, (I do have) I would like you to produce a "brittanyized" version of this. Could be fun to hear.

Otherwise, how about the song? The message?

It's low level for a reason -- cheap computer speakers or headphones the typical listener will be using.
HOWEVER....

I took your suggestions Amanda, and remastered this yet again. Applied a soft limiter and a medium compressor to the whole thing, not track by track however. Took the liberty of also adding a gong crash at the end of the chorus vocals at the 3:19 mark. I believe your suggestion has improved the overall quality and clarity of the track, please have a listen and let me know your thoughts:

http://eipnetworks.com/fx4nocountry.mp3

Forum List

Back