Did some fool really put a military base, an important one, in a flood plain?

Ummm Ok have you ever heard of levee failure? You do realize we have even bigger idiots who built entire cities such as New Orleans BELOW sea level. Let's not be too critical here.

Bases are placed where influential members of congress can get them put. William Jennings Bryant was from Nebraska and most Air Force bases are former army bases. So, that is why my guess is that this base originated in the late 1800s and is still in business.

Nebraska flooding inundates home of US Strategic Command

A naval base at least has to be at the water. Is Offutt Air Force Base really getting flooded? Is this the first time? Who is the idiot who put part of the base in the flood plain? Is this just a couple out houses or something that got flooded?

Talk me down, I'm on the edge of facepalming lol.

About 1/3rd of the base. The Base wanted real Levies after the 2011 flood that they prevented entering the base. This time, the levie wasn't enough. They lacked about 2 feet. But no essential equipment was lost, the runway was still able to launch if needed and it was all hands on deck to keep it from being even worse. And yes, it was more than a few houses. Right now, they arr having to clear away a lot of corn stalks off the base that floated in. It's a mess. But the Military is better at it than the Sillyvillians so it won't be long before it's all cleaned up.

You forget that two bases were hit real hard by Hurricanes in the South earlier that almost wasted the entire bases. At Tyndell, there were 23 F-22s that were damaged.

A naval base at least has to be at the water. Is Offutt Air Force Base really getting flooded? Is this the first time? Who is the idiot who put part of the base in the flood plain? Is this just a couple out houses or something that got flooded?

OK.. I'll talk you down gently.. Take one step back.. MAYBE it's a good thing. After all, if the sea levels are gonna eat the planet in the next 12 years, all branches of the Armed Forces need to learn how to operate amphibiously....

:banana: :backpedal: :banana:

OK.. I'll talk you down gently.. Take one step back.. MAYBE it's a good thing. After all, if the sea levels are gonna eat the planet in the next 12 years, all branches of the Armed Forces need to learn how to operate amphibiously....

For the firs time, the Af and Army just might have to adopt the phrase "How long can YOU tread water".

For the firs time, the Af and Army just might have to adopt the phrase "How long can YOU tread water".

Just need pontoons on those fighter jets..

Just need pontoons on those fighter jets..

Bring back the P-38K with the Pontoons.

Offutt doesn't have fighter jets, and it's location was chosen because middle of country for HQ SAC before became USSTRATCOM.

Offutt doesn't have fighter jets, and it's location was chosen because middle of country for HQ SAC before became USSTRATCOM.

No but it has some very special birds like EC-130s TDY at all times from Davis Monthan along with a few other specialty goodies. They have Recce RC-135s stationed there to train the Recce Communications personnel.

The have the 55th Air Wing and the 38th Air wing stationed there made up of EC-130s and RC-135s. In my day, it also had the EC-135C Looking Glass that's long since been retired. The runway is 11,500 feet long and the flooding took 3000 feet of it. Both Aircraft can easily take off in the remaining 8500 feet.

From your link:

Though the headquarters of Strategic Command, which plays a central role in detecting and striking at global threats, wasn't damaged, the flooding provided a dramatic example of how climate change poses a national security threat, even as the Trump administration plays down the issue.

-------------------

Thanks for the info.

The Navy will be the only service left along with the Space Force

From your link:

Though the headquarters of Strategic Command, which plays a central role in detecting and striking at global threats, wasn't damaged, the flooding provided a dramatic example of how climate change poses a national security threat, even as the Trump administration plays down the issue.

-------------------

Thanks for the info.
sure--the US military is useless because of climate change
omg!!smh

Ummm Ok have you ever heard of levee failure? You do realize we have even bigger idiots who built entire cities such as New Orleans BELOW sea level. Let's not be too critical here.
Dude, I am VERY familiar with levee failure and the welfare sucks who count on our tax dollars to maintain their protective levees.

nothing burger/stupid dumbshit news
1. a lot of Forts/etc were situated near rivers for obvious reasons
2. you need FLAT land for airbases -not hills/etc
Offutt's great heritage began with the commissioning by the War Department in 1890 of Fort Crook.
etc etc
Offutt Air Force Base - Wikipedia

You know, within 5 miles of the confluence of the continent's two largest rivers there is plenty of land that is flat and out of the flood plain.

Sounds like they owned the land since the 1890's and never moved to a reasonable place that didnot require levees?

Offutt's great heritage began with the commissioning by the War Department in 1890 of Fort Crook.
etc etc

You know, within 5 miles of the confluence of the continent's two largest rivers there is plenty of land that is flat and out of the flood plain.

Sounds like they owned the land since the 1890's and never moved to a reasonable place that didnot require levees?
I wonder how many times it flooded before?

If this is the first time, there has to be a reason.

etc etc

I wonder how many times it flooded before?

If this is the first time, there has to be a reason.

Its happened before. They talk about having to raise the levee before, the 2011. Something like 1.2 million square feet of buildings were affected this time.

The government never did like to put military bases on fertile farming ground or in big cities or even in close proximity to citizens so they ended up in swamps and deserts (and flood plains). I don't have a problem with that concept.

The government never did like to put military bases on fertile farming ground or in big cities or even in close proximity to citizens so they ended up in swamps and deserts (and flood plains). I don't have a problem with that concept.

I can think of a couple that ended up getting gobble up. Most of those I was stationed at. The Towns goggle them up and the bases were closed. But many were there long before the towns and cities and were sitting on prime real estate later on. Of course, these were Air Force Bases. BTW, Corn would grown fine where Offutt is if it weren't an AF base. But it goes back to the days before corn was growing in that area to that degree. The Base was created as an Air Base in 1918 for Military Balloons. Here is an overhead of the base now.

Forum List

Back