• Hell, no!

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Denver
Please note: this is not an overt attack on religion and I didn't lump all religious people together.

From my experience, the liberal religious people will tend to believe that yeah, its very possible that extra-terrastrial forms of life exist. Whereas the more fundamentalist religious people will typically believe: No, because the OT only describes that God created the Earth and life on it and not any other planets or extra-terrastrial life forms. Those who are not religious will most likely believe that the notion of extra-terrastrial life is not only possible but very probable.

Many of you have probably heard of the Drake Equation:

N = N*fp*ne*fl*fi*fc*fL

The equation can really be looked at as a number of questions:

N* represents the number of stars in the Milky Way Galaxy
Question: How many stars are in the Milky Way Galaxy?
Answer: Current estimates are 100 billion.

fp is the fraction of stars that have planets around them
Question: What percentage of stars have planetary systems?
Answer: Current estimates range from 20% to 50%.

ne is the number of planets per star that are capable of sustaining life
Question: For each star that does have a planetary system, how many planets are capable of sustaining life?
Answer: Current estimates range from 1 to 5.

fl is the fraction of planets in ne where life evolves
Question: On what percentage of the planets that are capable of sustaining life does life actually evolve?
Answer: Current estimates range from 100% (where life can evolve it will) down to close to 0%.

fi is the fraction of fl where intelligent life evolves
Question: On the planets where life does evolve, what percentage evolves intelligent life?
Answer: Estimates range from 100% (intelligence is such a survival advantage that it will certainly evolve) down to near 0%.

fc is the fraction of fi that communicate
Question: What percentage of intelligent races have the means and the desire to communicate?
Answer: 10% to 20%

fL is fraction of the planet's life during which the communicating civilizations live
Question: For each civilization that does communicate, for what fraction of the planet's life does the civilization survive?
Answer: This is the toughest of the questions. If we take Earth as an example, the expected lifetime of our Sun and the Earth is roughly 10 billion years. So far we've been communicating with radio waves for less than 100 years. How long will our civilization survive? Will we destroy ourselves in a few years like some predict or will we overcome our problems and survive for millennia? If we were destroyed tomorrow the answer to this question would be 1/100,000,000th. If we survive for 10,000 years the answer will be 1/1,000,000th.

When all of these variables are multiplied together when come up with:

N, the number of communicating civilizations in the galaxy.

Here is Carl Sagan explaining and using the Drake Equation:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ztl8CG3Sys"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ztl8CG3Sys[/ame]

Here is a link to a self-calculating version of the Drake Equation:
Life Beyond Earth - Drake Equation

Of course, this is mostly speculation, but even with very conservative figures, the likelihood of other life in the Universe, not just our galaxy, is astronomical.

What do you think?

Even though I am not Muslim anymore there is still a verse that intrigues me into believe there is alien life:

"In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful. Praise be to Allah, Lord of the worlds."

I think only someone living in a bubble could deny that aliens do not exist out of the infinite galaxies and star systems, and all the many planets - some of which are earth-like.

Last edited:
God created the UNIVERSE, he is the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

I have no problems what so ever if there is intelligent life somewhere else a kazillion light years away....I even wish this could be the case, but as is the saying, ''you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first!'' :eek:

In other words, with Science, the proof HAS TO BE IN THE PUDDING, they don't get the "break" that I give myself when it comes to FAITH, and religious beliefs. :D :lol:

Care

God created the UNIVERSE, he is the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

I have no problems what so ever if there is intelligent life somewhere else a kazillion light years away....I even wish this could be the case, but as is the saying, ''you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first!'' :eek:

In other words, with Science, the proof HAS TO BE IN THE PUDDING, they don't get the "break" that I give myself when it comes to FAITH, and religious beliefs. :D :lol:

Care

Ah, ah, ah! Care, don't jump ahead of me here! I was getting onto this as part of the thread, but not till later on. But it also wasn't the only purpose of this thread.

Please note: this is not an overt attack on religion and I didn't lump all religious people together.

From my experience, the liberal religious people will tend to believe that yeah, its very possible that extra-terrastrial forms of life exist. Whereas the more fundamentalist religious people will typically believe: No, because the OT only describes that God created the Earth and life on it and not any other planets or extra-terrastrial life forms. Those who are not religious will most likely believe that the notion of extra-terrastrial life is not only possible but very probable.

I believe in God and also believe that it's more likely than not that there is life out there. Seems like a reasonable thing to me.

I believe in God and also believe that it's more likely than not that there is life out there. Seems like a reasonable thing to me.

Then, did Jesus die for their sins, too?

Forum List

Back