Did Adam And Eve Have Children While In The Garden OF Eden?

Picaro

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2010
Texas
... or were Cain and Abel their first, after getting thrown out? There seems to be some who think they had lots of children while in the Garden, and lots after they were tossed out, and those who think they didn't have any until they were tossed out. I've only read a little on this but it seems Genesis is vague enough to allow for believing they did have children before the exile.

There were no Adam and Eve. We evolved from lower life forms. Sorry to break it to you.

Don't be; I actually appreciate it when morons insist on making it clear they're trolling morons. You're just sorry somebody started a topic you know nothing at all about, is all. I do agree you're probably a lower form of life, though.

... or were Cain and Abel their first, after getting thrown out? There seems to be some who think they had lots of children while in the Garden, and lots after they were tossed out, and those who think they didn't have any until they were tossed out. I've only read a little on this but it seems Genesis is vague enough to allow for believing they did have children before the exile.

They may think, but based on what?

There were no Adam and Eve. We evolved from lower life forms. Sorry to break it to you.

Depends on what is defined as lower life forms, but put that aside for now.
Why assume one contradicts the other?

Don't be; I actually appreciate it when morons insist on making it clear they're trolling morons. You're just sorry somebody started a topic you know nothing at all about, is all. I do agree you're probably a lower form of life, though.
The AOC lover IS quite dim.

Why can't both be true?

190322-bacteria-full.jpg

Scripture says that Adam and Eve came from inorganic matter. Science concurs.

First talking point made is Genesis 1:26. Note that it says 'Let us make Man in Our image,...", implying there are multiple entities making Man, then the story reverts back to the singular reference to God in the very next sentence, re Adam and Eve, which can be taken as more than just Adam and Eve may being created here, then in 1:28 he exhorts them to 'be fruitful and multiply'. The Fall of Man doesn't come around until Chapter 3. Chapter 3:16 also implies childbirth was painless before the Fall, so why mention it was now painful if Eve wouldn't have known either way if she had never had children before?

So the narrative goes. IMO it could be read either way, and doesn't specifically state one way or the other, but it's vague enough to allow for there being children in the Garden.

..that's only a story--like a fairy tale = not true

If they had multiple children while in Eden, it could explain how the people of Nod came to exist.

The original children Eve had in Eden were spoiled brats. God was annoyed. He sent Satan, as a snake, to tempt Eve in an effort to get rid of the humans. Once Adam & Eve and their brood were gone, God closed the portal to Eden. Adam & Eve were so pissed they kicked the brats out of their house and they had to go east and settle the Land of Nod.

..that's only a story--like a fairy tale = not true

Depends on the context, and I'm not interested in the Neo-Atheist Dawkin's Tree House's views on the Bible, I'm asking those who are either Jewish, Christian, and/or are scholars literate in Biblical allegory and interpretation. I'm an agnostic myself, and am curious as to how this narrative plays out as a literary issue.

If they had multiple children while in Eden, it could explain how the people of Nod came to exist.

That's another of the narratives, true. It explains where Cain and Abel found wives. If they had children while in the Garden, and none are named, would that imply they had all girls?

Long ago I read an article about this that to me makes the most sense. Adam means man. Eve means mother of all. The hypothesis was, What if, to simplify matters, the story was written in the singular about a plurality? What if it wasn't just one woman who decided to eat of the fruit, but the women, the mothers decided to do this--and talked their men into following suit? What if, out of the tribe of Adam, emerged the tribes of Cain and Abel--and the first war was the tribe of Cain killing off the tribe of Abel. The tribe of Adam drove off the tribe of Cain who later became builders of cities.

They had lots of children, yes. But not in the garden of Eden. They were kicked out of the garden directly after they committed sin. It was after that, that Adam made love with his wife, and started popping out kids.

1. Seth was born after Cain killed Able. Since this was specifically mentioned, it is unlikely Eve had many kids before Seth. It is unlikely they had a bunch of girls that were unmentioned.

2. We know Seth had to have been born outside the garden, because Cain committed sin, and the Garden was off limits from the moment sin entered the world.

3. While theoretically possible that Cain and Able were born in the garden, it is unlikely since the Bible does not mention G-d forcing any other people out of the garden. Had any others been alive at that time, we would think likely that the Bible would have mentioned everyone else being evicted.

The rest would be speculation.

First talking point made is Genesis 1:26. Note that it says 'Let us make Man in Our image,...", implying there are multiple entities making Man, then the story reverts back to the singular reference to God in the very next sentence, re Adam and Eve, which can be taken as more than just Adam and Eve may being created here, then in 1:28 he exhorts them to 'be fruitful and multiply'. The Fall of Man doesn't come around until Chapter 3. Chapter 3:16 also implies childbirth was painless before the Fall, so why mention it was now painful if Eve wouldn't have known either way if she had never had children before?

So the narrative goes. IMO it could be read either way, and doesn't specifically state one way or the other, but it's vague enough to allow for there being children in the Garden.

Well, "Let us make.."(Genesis 1:26) then "And then created..." (Genesis 1:27) - basically the 2nd is the answer to the 1st. What for? It shows humility, even if the Creator asks His...namely say 'angels', or 'degrees' to agree with a making of a specific creation.

Then for all who might question the plurality the Creator, the Torah says "And then G-d created... (Gen 1:27), using a singular verb.

No this cannot be taken as more than only the Adam being created, because when saying "...make Adam" (Gen. 1:26), there was no one made.

And then if one wants to talk about children one has to define what are 'children' at this stage.
We still have yet to read about Adam actually wearing any body.
Neither have we read about Eve yet.

Childbirth might have been painless in the Garden of Eden, even if we assume there were already bodies, they were not the only ones blessed to multiply. But I don't see any mention of Eve having being pregnant in the Garden.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes it can be interpreted in many ways, but what You're describing is drawing a circle around an arrow. While Hebrews tend to have a rather methodical approach to unlayering the Torah.

Otherwise it would be religion :wink_2:

The original children Eve had in Eden were spoiled brats. God was annoyed. He sent Satan, as a snake, to tempt Eve in an effort to get rid of the humans. Once Adam & Eve and their brood were gone, God closed the portal to Eden. Adam & Eve were so pissed they kicked the brats out of their house and they had to go east and settle the Land of Nod.

What people of Nod?

GOOD points! And agree... it makes sense, both the command to produce and multiply, and the point of childbearing being painless... why mention it, if there were no childbirth at all?

Forum List

Back