Dick Cheney

Vice President Dick Cheney got a heart transplant. Naturally, there are those on here who will whine, complain, and conjecture that he jumped the line; or that somehow the government paid for the transplant; or this, or that, or whatever. To fantasize that Dick Cheney was a war profiteer is idiotic and ignorant.

Dick Cheney has served his country well. If you don't like his politics, then that's just too bad. I like Vice President Cheney. I think he was someone that you could KNOW from the get-go where he stood on an issue. There was never any question and you didn't have to worry about him flip-flopping based upon poll numbers. I believe it's called "political courage." Would I have wanted him to be President? No, I think the man made an excellent Vice President, and like he said many times, its in that capacity that he could serve the best.

I can't help but see where there are those on here who want to take the stand that a man at 71 years of age shouldn't be getting a heart transplant. Wow... do you get this crap from Obamacare? Is this what we can look forward to? "Uh sorry ma'am, but your 65 years old and although we have a kidney for you, we have decided that we should give it to a 25 year old crack addict because our charts show us that you won't live for very long."

Come on Supreme Court... let's get back to sanity... Dump Obamacare!

Man, you should have stopped after the first sentence. Why does the 25y/o have to be a crack addict? Cheney had a DWI conviction if memory serves. Are we really going to go there? That past crimes should prevent you from getting a heart transplant.

As for the medical issue; I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. His politics appeal to the darker angels of our nature. Political courage had little to do with it; wishing to expand political ideology did.

EXACTLY!! Past crimes or transgressions have absolutely NOTHING to do with deciding who gets or who doesn't get the next available organ. Just like age has nothing to do with it. OR political affiliation.

My wife got pregnant with our second child. He was born with a prolapsed cord and essentially began breathing in the womb. He drowned and was born basically dead. However, the doctor got his heart breathing again. Over the course of 41 days it was obvious that his brain was completely gone. But for that time, my wife refused to acknowledge that the prognosis was the worst possible. I was the one who turned off the ventilator and held him until he died.

There are those on here who would assign a 'value' to a life based upon ridiculous 'return on investment.' For those who have 'never been there', my hope is that they never know. To tell me that Dick Cheney was 71 and shouldn't have received a heart transplant is ludicrous.

Dick Cheney has the courage to say what he believes. When you disagree with him, then he 'appeals to the darker angels.' I do not disagree... there is nothing 'dark' about what he professes...
You had courage in the face of sorrow, USAFSniper, but you did what was best for a baby that was dead except for an artificial respirator keeping his vitals going for 41 days. I am certain he was not at peace at all, being shocked and shimmied and jimmied around, not to mention being poked and gauged with sharp objects at regular intervals, tied to tubes that only served to feed his misery. You did what a good father would do. Kudos. I am so sorry for your family's great loss under bad circumstances.

Why not?

That criminal sonofabitch played a major role in the deception that led to the wrongful invasion of Iraq. He is as guilty as was his titular boss and many believe he was the real driving force behind that monumentally costly and immoral action. I wish Cheney all the suffering and misery he deserves, which unfortunately is far more than his remaining life span allows.

Dick Cheney makes me wish I believed there is a Hell.
MikeK, Dick Cheney is one of the best-liked men in the Equality State ever to serve 5 consecutive terms in Congress, elected by the people of Wyoming again and again until he was asked to serve in the White House under President Gerald Ford, I think it was, and several others after that.

What you are doing is taking an innocent man who spent a lifetime serving other people and having an open-door policy in his Congressional office so anybody his state could walk in anytime he was around, and he'd welcome, make them comfortable, and listen to what they had to say.

I was a resident of that state for 35 years, and Dick Cheney is none of the dehumanizing descriptive words with which you are unfairly punishing him, and you are kicking him when he is down.

You're picking up on false stories distributed by conservative detractors.

I suggest you consider looking at who is conspiring to "Wipe the US off the face of the map" before you continue your calumnous diatribe against one of the finest Americans who ever graced the vice President's house in Washington a few years back, is a patriot, and defended your freedom of speech with all his might and main.

Dick Cheney relinquished a fortune to serve this nation. He deserves every good wish in the world, having served his state and the United States for over 40 years.

Well said, Becki. Damn I wish I could rep you again but have to wait to spread it some more. Cheney was one of the few who I think was a true patriot and public servant offering his time, considerable skill set, and passion to actually doing good things for America. He would have made a great President but instead chose to serve in the shadow of others. He did his job competently and faithfully and, as much as anybody does in recent times, for little or no personal gain.

Americans should give him a heartfelt thank you and best wishes for a full and satisfying recovery. Men of his ability, caliber, skill set, and adult perspective are rare these days, and we need a whole lot more of them.
Thank you, Foxfyre. The Cheney family is on my prayer list for healing for the man of the house.

he does have a point though......the next 5 people on the list were no doubt much younger.....other older recipients for hearts and Livers have been through this and have been asked the same question....im sure Dick will be no different....

The next 5 people on the list may not have been a match or able to undergo the surgery for whatever reason.

so what if say 3 of them were......and they were all under 40?.......

Imo, Cheney still would have that heart. It sounds cold, I know that. Perhaps I'm jaded..

This is Larry Hagman all over again.. wasting organs on old people who could fall dead tomorrow while younger people dont get treatment.. the difference, the older people have millions to pay for organs.

A 71 year old should never ever get an organ transplant. It is economically stupid, morally repulsive and goes against any medical logic.

Organs are a very rare commodity in most societies and should be given to those that have the best chance of a long life, and no one can tell me that giving it to a 71 year old with a history of health problems is the best chance that this organ had to prolong some ones life for a long time.

Cheney is at risk from a multiple life ending issues due to his age and his medical history, so he could fall dead tomorrow because of a stroke, blood clot and so on..

This organ was clearly wasted in a corrupt system where money can get you ahead of others... pathetic.
Again: The donor heart may have been a tissue match only for Cheney.

But don't let that get in the way of your hategasm.

Had a heart transplant today.
:clap2:

Let us all pray--regardless of ideology and position--for a fast and full speedy recovery for this remarkable public servant.:eusa_pray:

That's disgusting. He is remarkable in that he will be remembered as a war criminal along with bush and rumsfeld. They can't even leave the country for fear of being arrested. Their administration will go down as the most shameful time in our history. May they all pay before they go meet their maker.
Causing leftist butthurt is not a war crime. And as VP, Cheney was not in the military chain of command, and so could not have ordered any war crimes.

Any more stupid leftist memes you need shot out of the saddle?

What part of being 71 and VP of America isn't already long and productive?
American men now live just five years less, on average, than women, closing a gap that once approached eight years. Male life expectancy hit a record 75.2 in 2004, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently announced.
USATODAY.com - Male life span increasing

So a heart that could have kept a younger person going for decades, has about 4 more years to go in an old man.

71 is great unless he now lives a much longer and still productive life to say 91.

And the fact that he was VP shouldn't DISQUALIFY him from getting the replacement ticker. If he was eligible and didn't bump anybody more entitled to it (in terms of time on the waiting list), then I am thrilled for him. I hope he makes a complete and rapid recovery and lives on well into his 90s.

Thank God there are no ObamaCare "panels" deciding such things.

if you find he did bump someone.....what then?......does he then become a dirtbag?....just asking.....:eusa_angel:
It wasn't Cheney's decision, was it?

Hey da Cheney luv fest still continues I see.

Work all day, get no rewards, the sumbitch still ain't dead.

Got a few hours left in the day though. I can hope and pray along with the rest of you.

Whether a person dislikes his politics or not we should not wish him ill.

I wish him a slow painful death for what he has done to the world.

causingpain-albums-crap-picture4269-dick-cheney-i-live.jpg

By selling america to the highest corp. bidder!
Your username is accurate. You cause normal people pain with your utter horseshit.

This is Larry Hagman all over again.. wasting organs on old people who could fall dead tomorrow while younger people dont get treatment.. the difference, the older people have millions to pay for organs.

A 71 year old should never ever get an organ transplant. It is economically stupid, morally repulsive and goes against any medical logic.

Organs are a very rare commodity in most societies and should be given to those that have the best chance of a long life, and no one can tell me that giving it to a 71 year old with a history of health problems is the best chance that this organ had to prolong some ones life for a long time.

Cheney is at risk from a multiple life ending issues due to his age and his medical history, so he could fall dead tomorrow because of a stroke, blood clot and so on..

This organ was clearly wasted in a corrupt system where money can get you ahead of others... pathetic.

You are assuming the hategasm group is literate enough to have read several of the posts that expressed this possibility, even probability. But they hate Cheney so much that even if he was the only person on the planet who could have received that particular heart, they would not have wanted him to have it and would have continued their litany that 'he took it away from somebody more deserving' which of course is absurd and also would have been illegal. I simply don't understand that depth of hatred or that kind of thinking, but it obviously exists.

Last edited:

You are assuming the hategasm group is literate enough to have read several of the posts that expressed this possibility, even probability. But they hate Cheney so much that even if he was the only person on the planet who could have received that particular heart, they would not have wanted him to have it and would have continued their litany that 'he took it away from somebody more deserving' which of course is absurd and also would have been illegal. I simply don't understand that depth of hatred or that kind of thinking, but it obviously exists.
Point of order: There is no thinking. It's pure emotionalism, and a major portion of that is hatred.

And it must be fed. But it doesn't feed on facts, logic, or reality.

Most hospitals will not put you on a heart list after age 60.

Its fact folks.

There are more who need a heart than there are hearts.

They try to give them to the youngest and healthiest people who need one.

SOMEONE died because a 72 year old man with a long history of being sick got this heart.
No, they didn't. Moron.

For once she is correct. Someone did die... the donor.

Immie

he does have a point though......the next 5 people on the list were no doubt much younger.....other older recipients for hearts and Livers have been through this and have been asked the same question....im sure Dick will be no different....

The next 5 people on the list may not have been a match or able to undergo the surgery for whatever reason.

so what if say 3 of them were......and they were all under 40?.......

I said I was done with this, but I'll answer this to point out the post I made a couple of pages back with the UNOS links. That will answer your questions.

Age is an important factor, as are lifestyle choices and need, in the bureaucratic rules of who is the next recipient, that matches the donated organ. I'm not sure that Cheney was a late heavy smoker, and don't think he had a drinking problem (except on hunting trips) that ought exclude him. If a younger match, who wasn't self-destructive, in a reasonable area for harvest, met all the criteria, they would have gotten the organ.

Those who believe in free market ought to move to China, where involuntary donated organs are sold to the highest bidder.

In organ transplant, the bureaucratic system may not be the best, but it's better than any alternative.

I think Cheney was pond scum, who hurt our country in countless ways, but I don't begrudge him a transplant. As I said, tongue in cheek, earlier, "at least I'm now assured he has a heart".

At least CBS gave some decent coverage on this. Note they accepted a knowledgeable doctor's testimony that the heart centers go to great lengths to pick the 'right patient' for each heart and there is no way to 'buy' yourself a position on the list.

Latest Miscellaneous Videos - CBS News

That's true. Name, rank, and social class aren't even seen by the harvesting institution. If Bill Gates and Joe the Plumber both needed a transplant, the things that would be looked at are need, exigency, lifestyle choices, and foremost likelihood of success. The bureaucrats would't even know their names.

Personal note. I have a friend of many years, who has cystic fibrosis. She's been on a lung transplant list for many years. Poor gal fell down some stairs and broke her ankle. Because the busted ankle meant she wouldn't be able to go all out in rehab, she was bumped down on the list.

Last edited:

You need to be a "Progressive to understand "Progressive" logic.

At least CBS gave some decent coverage on this. Note they accepted a knowledgeable doctor's testimony that the heart centers go to great lengths to pick the 'right patient' for each heart and there is no way to 'buy' yourself a position on the list.

Latest Miscellaneous Videos - CBS News

That's true. Name, rank, and social class aren't even seen by the harvesting institution. If Bill Gates and Joe the Plumber both needed a transplant, the things that would be looked at are need, exigency, lifestyle choices, and foremost likelihood of success. The bureaucrats would't even know their names.

Personal note. I have a friend of many years, who has cystic fibrosis. She's been on a lung transplant list for many years. Poor gal fell down some stairs and broke her ankle. Because the busted ankle meant she wouldn't be able to go all out in rehab, she was bumped down on the list.
I'm sorry your good friend has cystic fibrosis and broke her ankle. Sending healing thoughts your way to send her. :)

Forum List

Back