The Triumvirate

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
I'm a huge fan of the fantasy-adventure combat film Army of Darkness (about a precocious American named Ash who lands in a strange ancient land where he must contend with an evil army of skeletons raised from the dead by the power of an enigmatic mystical book known as the Necronomicon.

This is a modern 'fantasy story' unlike those we've seen from yesteryear --- e.g., Excalibur, The Illiad, Perseus/Medusa, Atlantis, etc., etc.

As Ash contends with the skeleton-army with his chainsaw strapped to his arm (so he can return to his happy-go-lucky job working at a retail chain in the USA), we realize that new age fears regarding immigration and networking breed fantastic stories/characters who invoke our sensibilities about 'lurking phantom.'

Here's a fan-fic I generated in honor of Army of Darkness, which I think speaks to the pedestrian anxieties lurking in our consumerism-blithe 'TrumpUSA' but perhaps 'expressed' in recent capitalism-dystopia films such as Purge: Election Year, Escape from New York, and Mission: Impossible.

What kinds of folklore will TrumpUSA generate in comparison to Reaganomics?

====

Tom Cruise was thinking about his recent films Mission: Impossible and The Last Samurai, while Kurt Russell (another American movie star) was thinking about his recent film Escape from New York. Meanwhile an idealistic Ivy League Internet-blogging self-proclaimed 'democracy vigilante' named Ajay Satan was thinking about a short-story he wrote on the Internet inspired by the capitalism-paranoia story Barbarians at the Gate. It was coincidental that all three (Cruise, Russell, and Ajay) had just seen the fantasy-realm film Army of Darkness and were ruminating on the 'barbarianism' themes in the film relevant to their own works!

That Halloween, Cruise, Russell, and Ajay decided to walk around Los Angeles dressed in rabbit-masks (to signify their appreciation of Samhain and the rabbit's-foot symbol of fortune and good-luck to pedestrians). When they accidentally ran into each other, they inquired why each decided to wear a rabbit-mask.

CRUISE: I wanted to look like an 'evil Easter bunny'!
RUSSELL: Ha, I wanted to look like a menacing Bugs Bunny...
AJAY: Interesting...I wanted to look like a tough Brer Rabbit.

The three decided to call themselves The Triumvirate (in reference to an 'empire-focused' vigilante towards modern pedestrian concerns/fears such as the 1992 Los Angeles Race Riots); and they also simply wanted to cheer on the Halloween festivities symbolic of American culture (and pluralism!). However, they were about to meet a gang of real evildoers dressed as characters from a Rob Zombie horror-fantasy film.

The Ghoul Gang (as they referred to themselves) approached The Triumvirate and asked them why they were wearing rabbit-masks, and Cruise, Russell, and Ajay explained that the masks symbolized 'pluralism mysticism' for Samhain-Halloween and alluded to various folkloric rabbits (e.g., Bugs Bunny). The leader of the Ghoul Gang (referring to himself creepily as Zombie) revealed his electric stun-gun and told The Triumvirate he intended to electrocute one of them to death. The Triumvirate became startled and ran away and scattered and never reunited.

Years later, Ajay wrote this in his diary (but wondered if he was being overly-idealistic about the Computer-Consumer Age:

"That Halloween, when I joined forces with my two rabbit-mask wearing 'allies' to form the democracy-idealistic 'Triumvirate,' I was horrified to discover that modern pedestrianism vigilance may be met with the forces of complete mischief and anarchy in modern urban environments become demoralized by years of mismanaged politics. I believe that our otherwise consumerism-biased 'TrumpUSA' empire can create necessary pseudo-Utopian infrastructures (e.g., Facebook, NASDAQ, etc.)!"

====

triumvirate1.jpg

GHOUL GANG

aod.jpg

Dude, that's Evil Dead stuff.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-mart"

Bruce Campbell.

Another Bruce Campbell film. :)

Forum List

Back