Destruction Shall Be

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
In this message, Connie Giardano writes about the "way of the LORD" - speaking of the way of godliness vs. the ways of the wicked.

King David wrote:

Teach me thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies. Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty. I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Psalm 27:11-13

To be clear, there is are those who desire to walk in the way of the LORD and there are those who desire to walk according to their own (wicked) ways. Concerning the ways of the wicked, there was a day when I learned that those who are living contrary to the will of God have a clear pattern of sin - it is their ways, their lifestyle, a pattern, a path they have chosen to go down. Not some isolated event which may have been unintentional. The Scriptures tell us that Noah got drunk. This happened once (Genesis 9:21). Not repeatedly. God called Noah a righteous man. Drunkenness was not part of Noah's ways. Noah's name makes the list in Hebrews 11:7. God rewarded Noah's faith. Returning to the subject of the word "ways," look at Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14

Title of This Message:
Destruction Shall Be

The "way of the LORD" - the path of obedience - the way of godliness - has two sides. It offers "strength to the upright" and "destruction to the workers of iniquity."

The question we must ask ourselves is - Which side are we on? Our answer will determine whether or not we are headed for blessing or cursing, being overthrown or flourishing, walking or falling, and being delivered out of temptation or reserved for destruction.

The Scriptures abound with examples of the sharp contrast between the "way of the righteous" and the "way of the ungodly" - the outcome of the righteous and the outcome of the ungodly.

• Proverbs 3:33 - We see the "curse of the LORD" is in the "house of the wicked," while the blessing of the Lord is in "the habitation of the just."

• Proverbs 14:11 - The "house of the wicked" is "overthrown," while the "tabernacle of the upright" flourishes.

• Hosea 14:9 - The just walk in the righteous ways of the Lord, while the transgressors fall therein.

• 2 Peter 2:9 - The Lord delivers "the godly out of temptations" and reserves the unjust for the day of judgment.

• Psalm 1:6 - The Lord knows "the way of the righteous," but "the way of the ungodly" perishes.

• Proverbs 10:29 - "The way of the LORD is strength to the upright: but destruction shall be to the workers of iniquity."
Once again, we see a contrast made between the "upright" and the "workers of iniquity."

The "way of the LORD" has two sides. It offers "strength to the upright." In other words, it is a place or means of safety for the upright. It is a refuge, stronghold, fortified place, and a defense.

At the same time, the "way of the LORD" or the way of godliness is "destruction...to the workers of iniquity." It is swift and sure destruction. It is ruin, terror, dismay, and dissolution to the evildoers, the idolaters, the committers of mischief, and the practicers of wickedness.

• Proverbs 10:29 - The "way of the LORD" is "strength." It is the way of righteousness, godliness, and uprightness.

• Psalm 84:7 - With each act of obedience, the believer goes from "strength to strength."

• Zechariah 10:12 - He is "strengthened in the LORD"

• Philippians 4:13 - and discovers that he can do all things required of him to live a holy life "through Christ" Who strengthens him.
"The way of the LORD" is the way of the Wisdom and Knowledge of God's Word.
Therefore, as Proverbs 24:5 attests - "A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength."

"The way of the LORD" is "destruction."
For the "upright," the way of godliness is "strength," but for the "workers of iniquity," this same way marks destruction, terror, dismay, and ruin.

Psalm 37:20 tells us "But the wicked shall perish..." Who are these wicked ones? Who are these "workers of iniquity"?

Romans 2:8-9 informs us that they are the contentious who do not obey the Truth, but obey unrighteousness. Resultantly, what awaits them is indignation, wrath, tribulation, and anguish.

Proverbs 21:15 - "It is joy to the just to do judgment: but destruction shall be to the workers of iniquity."

Whenever justice is done, the "just" rejoice, while "the workers of iniquity" are in terror.

Rejoicing or terror?

It all depends on whether or not we get great pleasure and satisfaction from being righteous in conduct and character, or if we practise Sin and wickedness.

How do the just "do judgment" as this Scripture says?

To "do judgment" entails practising righteousness as well as suppressing iniquity in ourselves and others.

• Job 29:16 - It is being a "father to the poor"

• Job 29:12 - and delivering the poor, the fatherless, and the one who has no helper.

• Job 29:13 - It entails causing the widow's heart to sing for joy,

• Job 29:15 - being "eyes to the blind" and feet to the lame.

• Psalm 112:1 - It also includes Fearing the LORD, greatly delighting in His commandments,

• Isaiah 64:5 - and working righteousness.
Both Scriptures - Proverbs 10:29 and Proverbs 21:15 - give the same outcome for the evildoer - "destruction shall be to the workers of iniquity."

Job 31:3 says it in a different manner, but the sense is the same - "Is not destruction to the wicked? and a strange punishment to the workers of iniquity?"

A swift and sure destruction shall befall the unrighteous. Calamity, disaster, and ruin shall overtake the unjust, perverse, and evil. A "strange punishment" - an unexpected calamity, disaster, or misfortune - followed by entire alienation from God is promised the evildoer.

There is no doubt about it. Destruction shall come to all "workers of iniquity." It shall come to the wicked and to all evildoers.

Destruction Shall Be
(to read the entire message see link above)

Forum List

Back